A Lesson Learned This Season

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
Everything happens for a reason.

We saw from the fall of Virginia in the first round to Loyola's upset of us, that nothing's guaranteed and everything from the tip off to the final horn is a new game, independent from all before or after it when it comes to what the result will be. It's its own opportunity for a W determined by more points on the scoreboard than your opponent when it ends.

As thrilling as the late, final minutes comebacks were in the tournaments and games last season, we saw how costly it can be when they turn out not to be enough ie., Kentucky and Loyola.

That underscores the importance of playing like that consistently for a full forty minutes, not allowing strings of missed ill-selected shots aka standing on the perimeter and only passing it outside then jacking up a rushed 3 before the shot clock expires instead of sticking to the game plan of feeding it inside.

Coach Barnes said the identity of the team is an "Inside- Out" team, so when you only stay "out" for several possessions without going "Inside" (at least enough to stretch your opponent's defense and keep them honest with the threat to buy more space for your outside shot) and preferably going inside for most shots for higher percentage opportunities, you aren't being true to the team and its core philosophy. Then when the other team grabs the rebound from the bricked 3 attempt and drives for the easy 2, you start seeing their lead pile up bigger and bigger with more points on the scoreboard with less time left to close the gap and you are at that point forced to shoot 3s just to survive.

Why risk the success you work so hard for all season on a style of play that is statistically proven to convert a lower percentage of field goals?...especially when it's not even consistent with the team identity the Coaching staff and players worked so hard to develop?

It reminds me of a commission-only sales job for your whole career. Man, you'd feel like a hotshot when you close that big deal, but then get to the point where you must sell or starve most months out of the year.

It's just not consistent enough and eventually the cracks begin to show, most often when you need that solid dependability the most.

I believe that's the one big thing that was evidently hard to recognize enough to correct and most costly in terms of the games lost that could have been won.

That is to take nothing away from one of the best teams I've ever seen play at Tennessee, yes ever! They deserve to feel so proud of their success. I'm not a hater, I'm a lover and a fighter! I love this team. That's why it hurts to see them hurt when they don't have to. So in that spirit of tough love, I do think that is the one single area I'd like to see most improved for next season.

It seems ironic, because this team is known for being consistent, and they are for the most part. That's why they won for the most part. It's just that one key area I believe can help the team accomplish anything they want next year without the anxiety that comes from having to play catch up late in games because they'd still be carrying the lead instead.

Reactions: 2 people
Did you ever think that the Vols stuck to their game plan of inside-out ball, but Loyola forced us to beat them from the outside? Remember, this team isn’t perfect and we lost several games this year where teams did just that and we failed to beat them from the outside. Sometimes our 3pt shooting was hot, other times, maybe not so much.

Reactions: 1 person
Did you ever think that the Vols stuck to their game plan of inside-out ball, but Loyola forced us to beat them from the outside? Remember, this team isn’t perfect and we lost several games this year where teams did just that and we failed to beat them from the outside. Sometimes our 3pt shooting was hot, other times, maybe not so much.

Of course I didn't think that because the evidence showed otherwise. The numbers don't lie. There were open lanes and players didn't cut to the basket but stood on the perimeter for entire possessions without feeding it inside. That's the whole point. I never said they didn't attempt it for any series. They were successful for the most part. Their field goal% was much better when they cut to the basket and took higher percentage shots.

You can't blame Loyola for not cutting to the basket.

I never said anything about perfect or not. I identified a hard to recognize tendency that robbed them of wins they had when that tendency was mitigated with more motion on offense and passing inside.

I had already mentioned there were games where it cost us. That's the purpose of identifying why and what to do about it for improvement in that area.

If your default answer is "we can't because the other team forced" then you lost already. You're the one with the force that dictates it. You don't just settle for what shots they give you. You create better looks by cutting to the basket and finding the open man closest to the basket for the best shot.

Of course they'll give you the 3 sometimes because it's lower percentage than inside. The main point is when you run an Inside Out, you don't just abandon the inside because they give you the 3. You keep moving to create that opportunity inside.

Lesson Learned: Don't start a finial four thread before the round of 32 is over.

Last edited:
we were not aggressive on offense or on the boards. Our bigs had 3,3,2 and 2 rebounds and we shot 6 FTs. Nuff said. If they are double or triple teaming Williams then somebody has to have an open lane to get at least a ten footer. We were 3 happy and it cost us the game.

Last edited:
I agree with you at one point in the first half they abandoned the inside game. They weren’t moving but just standing around. I believe it was when Schofield got in foul trouble when they quit moving. Not having Alexander and Schofield in foul trouble really hurt this team.

we were not aggressive on offense or on the boards. Our bigs had 3,3,2 and 2 rebounds. Nuff said. If they are double or triple teaming Williams then somebody has to have an open lane to get at least a ten footer. We were 3 happy and it cost us the game.

Yes, exactly. No one forces a player to shoot a 3 instead of driving for a higher percentage look. If the double or triple teaming defenders comes up to guard, then there's someone open to hit with the pass. It hurts and seems easier to recognize in hindsight. I feel that's an area that will be improved next season and create an opportunity for even more success than we already enjoyed. Go Vols!

well, hope Coach Barnes learned something also...since he is the HC...:)

PS. great season...enjoyed it very much, and looking forward to more...:thumbsup:

GO BIG ORANGE!

You can only go so far with a short basketball team and your inside best players are 6'7" and 6'5"

I definitely feel 100% that after Admiral had that breakaway dunk and they went up 15-6, they got a little cocky and arrogant and expected to win going away.

I still say Swain jinxed it. If a 98 year old nun wants to talk her team up, leave her be. If you come back at her and we win, you just look like a jerk. But if you lose, you also look like an idiot.

VN Store

Back