We’re the Unluckiest team ever

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I know we played poorly but to lose like that at the end when you’re up by one is such a UT thing to do.

Regardless, it’s been a hell of a season. They can look back on this and use this as motivation heading into next year.

Congratulations to Rick Barnes and these great young men. Ya’ll deserve it!

Reactions: 3 people
I know we played poorly but to lose like that at the end when you’re up by one is such a UT thing to do.

Regardless, it’s been a hell of a season. They can look back on this and use this as motivation heading into next year.

Congratulations to Rick Barnes and these great young men. Ya’ll deserve it!

I think UVA would take that honor.

Blowing Golden Opportunities is the TN way. Hell, the 98 ship wouldn't have happened if not for a once in a life time play by Arkandas.. that was gifted to us. It is hard to want to continue and care when all we do is get punched in the nuts. UK has 50% of the tourney titles but TN can't win onr in 40yrs.. bama has 50% of the football titles but TN can't win one in 20yrs. Getting tired of the perpetual letdowns. We are the college version of Cleveland.

Reactions: 1 person
Blowing Golden Opportunities is the TN way. Hell, the 98 ship wouldn't have happened if not for a once in a life time play by Arkandas.. that was gifted to us. It is hard to want to continue and care when all we do is get punched in the nuts. UK has 50% of the tourney titles but TN can't win onr in 40yrs.. bama has 50% of the football titles but TN can't win one in 20yrs. Getting tired of the perpetual letdowns. We are the college version of Cleveland.

Sentence 1 and sentence 2 not registering.

Sentence 1 and sentence 2 not registering.

How so.. want me to list them for you since you don't know TN history very well..

- up by 16pts on UNC in sweet 16 with 4mins left, lose that game
- up by 13pts on LSU in sec champ game with chance to go to MNC game, lose that game
- Majors blew 3-4 titles in so many ways I can't list
- didn't even win a conference title with HEATH SHULER
- couldn't win a MNC with Peyton Manning
- returned majority of 98 champs and didn't even win a conference title
- lady vols had the best pitcher in the history of the game who had like a .2 era and she gave up a run to lose the college world series
- beat scar and vandy you go to sec championship game
- beat scar or vandy go to sugar bowl
- flemming fumbles ball game winning TD on 1yd line through endzone, lose to bama
- Chris Lofton led team that went to no.1 in country gets knocked out in 16.
- Arkansas 98, center steps on foot of QB causing fumble when all they had to do was not fumble. This is the one time we didn't blow it but in fact we did, but a once in a lifetime play happened and saved us from ourselves.

Blowing great oppprtunitites is the TN way. History has proven over and over. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be 40yrs since our last sec tourney title or 20yrs since our last conference championship in football.

Last edited:
How so.. want me to list them for you since you don't know TN history very well..

- up by 13pts on LSU in sec champ game with chance to go to MNC game, lose that game
- lady vols had the best pitcher in the history of the game who had like a .2 era and she gave up a run to lose the college world series
- flemming fumbles ball game winning TD on 1yd line through endzone, lose to bama
- Arkansas 98, center steps on foot of QB causing fumble when all they had to do was not fumble. Was gifted to us.

Blowing great oppprtunitites is the TN way. History has proven over and over. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be 40yrs since our last sec tourney title or 20yrs since last conference championship in football.

It's really very simple. TN took advantage of the golden opportunity in 1998.

At the end of the day we are an SEC team who got beat by a mid major. Some had us going to the final four. Everyone can play the "nobody expected us to...." card. Heck...Virginia can play it. Arizona...etc etc etc. Fact is we were there. A better team but out coached and instead of a final four berth as some had predicted...we don't even make the Sweet 16. It was a good reg season...but a tragic disappointment once it's all said and done. C'mon. Loyola of Chicago? Please. Good reg season and I'm happy we aren't SEC bottom feeders but this was a tragic, horrific loss.

At the end of the day we are an SEC team who got beat by a mid major. Some had us going to the final four. Everyone can play the "nobody expected us to...." card. Heck...Virginia can play it. Arizona...etc etc etc. Fact is we were there. A better team but out coached and instead of a final four berth as some had predicted...we don't even make the Sweet 16. It was a good reg season...but a tragic disappointment once it's all said and done. C'mon. Loyola of Chicago? Please. Good reg season and I'm happy we aren't SEC bottom feeders but this was a tragic, horrific loss.

Less than 5% of eligible teams make the Sweet 16.

- Arkansas 98, center steps on foot of QB causing fumble when all they had to do was not fumble. This is the one time we didn't blow it but in fact we did, but a once in a lifetime play happened and saved us from ourselves.

You’re flat out wrong about that play... Billy Ratliff pushed the Ark LG backwards causing Stoerner to stumble as he ran a QB sweep... that was not pure luck in the sense you’re talking about.

Blowing great oppprtunitites is the TN way. History has proven over and over. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be 40yrs since our last sec tourney title or 20yrs since our last conference championship in football.

That 2000 Sweet Sixteen loss has gotten worse with age. We were up by 7 with six minutes left. We did not blow a 16-point lead in four minutes. I just found the video to verify that. Up 7 with six minutes left is not a giant cushion. It just feels that way because we're seldom in that position. UNC's Center having fouled out and our coach somehow not knowing that made it harder to swallow though.

The press strategy worked.

The other team was tired and making mistakes at the end.

The only mistakes I saw were in the first half.

That 2000 Sweet Sixteen loss has gotten worse with age. We were up by 7 with six minutes left. We did not blow a 16-point lead in four minutes. I just found the video to verify that. Up 7 with six minutes left is not a giant cushion. It just feels that way because we're seldom in that position. UNC's Center having fouled out and our coach somehow not knowing that made it harder to swallow though.

I may go watch it again as well. I am confident we were up by 16pts near the end. Guess it was more than 4mins. That was a hard one to swallow. That team was so dang talented. I loved the loften snd this year's teams but neither were as talented as that squad

I may go watch it again as well. I am confident we were up by 16pts near the end. Guess it was more than 4mins. That was a hard one to swallow. That team was so dang talented. I loved the loften snd this year's teams but neither were as talented as that squad

We had plenty of talent on Jerry Green's teams.
The tournaments were so frustrating.
We were up 62-55 with six minutes left. At the end of the game, the announcer said we had been up by 9 at some point.

We had plenty of talent on Jerry Green's teams.
The tournaments were so frustrating.
We were up 62-55 with six minutes left. At the end of the game, the announcer said we had been up by 9 at some point.

Interesting. Crazy how time will alter your memory. I would have put money on us being up by 16pts. Still a missed opporrunity.

You’re flat out wrong about that play... Billy Ratliff pushed the Ark LG backwards causing Stoerner to stumble as he ran a QB sweep... that was not pure luck in the sense you’re talking about.
Agree. We forced sterner to fall.

VN Store

Back