Hate to lose a game to a team that is not as good

VOLED

not sure where we were the first 37 minutes of this game, but that was not the same team I have watched this year.

Reactions: 2 people
not sure where we were the first 37 minutes of this game, but that was not the same team I have watched this year.

Yes it was. Same undersized team that uses their grit to get back in games. Just came up short. Nice season in all though.

Yea I don’t get it either. Took too many horrible shots. This team was half our size and full of 1 Star players. Nobody ever heard of them until they made the tournament. It’s absolutely sickening that we lost to them when we should have won.

Reactions: 3 people
It’s honestly amazing that with all of the terrible fouls that were called, Grant only getting 9 shots, the crazy shots they were hitting, and Alexander being out, that we only lost by 1. We are the vastly superior team

They played good D, packed it inside well... that kept them around the entire game.

Yea I don’t get it either. Took too many horrible shots. This team was half our size and full of 1 Star players. Nobody ever heard of them until they made the tournament. It’s absolutely sickening that we lost to them when we should have won.
They played smarter than we did. They were better than us with what we had on the floor tonight. They got offensive rebounds, and kept the ball moving around quickly. The Alexander loss was huge, too.

I had heard of them. As a matter of fact, I was in the stands in Louisville in 1963 when they won the Nat'l Championship. I was 13 years old.

In one semi-final, Cincinnati beat Oregon State, and Loyola beat Duke in the other. Then, Loyola came from 15 down in the 2nd half, and beat Cincinnati at the buzzer in overtime 60-58 on a tip-in for the championship. In those days, they played a consolation game before the final game, and Duke beat Oregon State for 3rd place.

One interesting fact of that game was that Terry Baker, who was a left-handed point guard for Oregon State, became the only player ever to win the Heisman Trophy in football ( he was the qb for Oreg St), and play in a Final Four. Nobody else has ever done that.

Another thing about Loyola's NCAA Championship in 1963. Their starting 5 played the entire game with no substitutions.

Reactions: 1 person
They played good D, packed it inside well... that kept them around the entire game.

Shame that we couldn’t. Seemed like they were able to get it inside easily on us. We settled for contested 3s because we couldn’t get any penetration. They made wide open 3s because of their penetration and kick backs

They had more guys step up that Tennessee did today. And losing Alexander really hurt

Hate to say it but we were out coached as well. Not sure what Barnes was thinking letting our guards jack up 25 3 point shots and Williams only got 9 shots. Strange to say the least.

Reactions: 5 people
Hate to say it but we were out coached as well. Not sure what Barnes was thinking letting our guards jack up 25 3 point shots and Williams only got 9 shots. Strange to say the least.

It was the way they played defense. A couple of Williams' shots were outside the paint too. They were packing it in along with laying on him. Schofield was aggressive a couple of times and either missed or got called for a BS charge.

Did you notice 3 or 4 players surrounding Williams with every touch that he got in the paint? When that happens your guards must make them pay. Ours did not.

I’m still not sure how the Vols only got to the line 6 times the entire game, they obviously weren’t calling the game the same way on both ends of the floor when they were the smaller team and got to the line 16 times. I really can’t remember the last time UT only shot 6 foul shots. Terrible disparity between the two, and the loss of Alexander to start the game was huge. But, they fought back and nearly won, had they called a fairly even game Vols win by 8-10 points going away. What a terrible ending to an otherwise fabulous season for the Vols . Barnes needs to hit the road recruiting and get the Vols another Center and a great shooting guard for next season.

Correct, they were missing their center and had to start Fulkerson instead. Losing Alexander makes them an entirely different team, he’s their rebounder inside and thir best shot blocker who protects the rim for the Vols. They aren’t nearly as good without him.

Give our Vols all the credit in the world and give the second ranked mid major behind Gonzaga some respect. It is debatable as to whether we were better than the number 4 ranked team in the country in scoring defense which held Tennessee to the same 62 points a game that they gave up against their entire schedule. Their defensive coaching has to be brilliant to achieve that.

VN Store

Back