Todays game question

cwbytruckers

Who has the best chance for an upset?

Loyola or Buffalo?

I didnt watch the Buffalo game because i assumed Zona would roll. Didnt make that mistake last night.

Kinda split. Buffalo looks good, but I think UK matches up well with them. Same for UT. Buffalo could beat anyone if they shoot like they did against Arizona though.

Reactions: 2 people
Kinda split. Buffalo looks good, but I think UK matches up well with them. Same for UT. Buffalo could beat anyone if they shoot like they did against Arizona though.

I agree that from the eye test both KY and UT match up well against their next opponents. However, I thought Arizona and Miami did as well. I think the Canes and Wildcats both played down to our next opponents in the first round. Tennessee and Kentucky both need to bring it this weekend and not let the games sta y tight till the end. I think it's especially important for the Vols to win convincingly against Loyola to make a statement. A 12 to 15 point victory would build momentum and confidence for the Vols as well as get the attention of Cincy or Nevada. Let's face it. Kentucky is a champion that carries a big reputation. Whether they win by 20 or 2 likely makes no difference in the next round for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Loyola has better chance for following reasons:

1. They are better than Buffalo
2. Officials more likely to bail UK out
3. UT would be more susceptible to an upset if other team is shooting ok due to offensive efficiency numbers (see UVA last night).

Reactions: 3 people
Loyola has an effective FG% of 58 and limits opponents to 47. That margin is 4th among all NCAA teams behind Michigan St, Purdue, and Gonzaga. It's better than Duke, Kansas, Cincinnati..

Loyola has an effective FG% of 58 and limits opponents to 47. That margin is 4th among all NCAA teams behind Michigan St, Purdue, and Gonzaga. It's better than Duke, Kansas, Cincinnati..

What is Tennessee's, just out of curiosity?

What is Tennessee's, just out of curiosity?

51-46

Ranks about 20th of the teams remaining in the tournament

Our FG % ranks 157th in college basketball. It's weighed down a ton by our 47% 2pt percentage which ranks 282nd in college basketball. While we miss a lot from around the rim, Grant is still effective by being able to draw fouls. However Loyola does not foul alot and their big man only draws 2 fouls per 40 minutes. Which is extremely low for a post player.

I said in another thread. Loyola has never lost when their opponent shoots less than 50% from the field. We need to shoot the ball well today.

Last edited:
Once you get out of the 1st round no team can have an off game and survive (unless both teams are off). TENN has played well in most of their games, due in large part to the defense. Unless they play another Ala type game they should win today. The worst type match up for the VOLS is an all out run and gun team with excellent guards. I don't see that with any potential match up in their region. All of the games for the VOLS will probably stay close within single digits until the end and foul shots may skew the final score.

Once you get out of the 1st round no team can have an off game and survive (unless both teams are off). TENN has played well in most of their games, due in large part to the defense. Unless they play another Ala type game they should win today. The worst type match up for the VOLS is an all out run and gun team with excellent guards. I don't see that with any potential match up in their region. All of the games for the VOLS will probably stay close within single digits until the end and foul shots may skew the final score.

Fortunately it's easier to slow a game down than speed it up. On the flip side, the slower a game, the fewer the possession, the easier it is for an inferior team to stick around.

51-46

Ranks about 20th of the teams remaining in the tournament

Our FG % ranks 157th in college basketball. It's weighed down a ton by our 47% 2pt percentage which ranks 282nd in college basketball. While we miss a lot from around the rim, Grant is still effective by being able to draw fouls. However Loyola does not foul alot and their big man only draws 2 fouls per 40 minutes. Which is extremely low for a post player.

I said in another thread. Loyola has never lost when their opponent shoots less than 50% from the field. We need to shoot the ball well today.

Yeah, I knew our 2-pt FG% was garbage. Thanks for the numbers.

VN Store

Back