great writeup on barnes from longhorns

With everything the Tennessee Volunteers did to help Texas a couple of hundred years ago, it was nice of them to give us Barnes in return.

Reactions: 14 people
That article reminded me of something I'd not really thought about. Ever since he left Providence ages ago, he's been coaching basketball at places that are traditionally football schools. Probably helps that at Tennessee, if you put a good product on the court, the fans will get behind you.

Reactions: 2 people
I looked at some of the Texas sites a few weeks ago to see what they thought about Barnes now and almost everyone was very complementary of him. No one had much of anything to say negatively about him and wished him well.

On one site, there was an argument that his teams underachieved some but a poster very convincingly argued that he consistently reached their seed level in the Dance.

Most thought his last few years were stagnant and it was time for a parting, but not any animosity. He is still very well liked and some are even questioning whether they pulled the carpet out from under him too soon.

Being such a nice guy has paid dividends for him. His basketball IQ, recruiting eye, and motivational ability really impresses me. Thank you Horns!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Whatever you thing about Dave Hart, he could not have left us a better parting gift.

I'm looking for a Big Orange Dynasty before CRB hangs it up.

Reactions: 5 people
Whatever you thing about Dave Hart, he could not have left us a better parting gift.

I'm looking for a Big Orange Dynasty before CRB hangs it up.

Enjoyed the article, even the line, "Barnes has taken an inspired bunch of misfits..." The other UT fired CRB & Mack Brown, the saw those programs drop like a hot rock. Austin & Knoxville have taken similar paths. GBO! :good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't realize his wife is a Tennessee grad too. What a job he's done. Give this man a contract extension!!

Reactions: 5 people
The knock on Barnes at TX was never whether he was a good coach. The knock was that even with loaded TX teams he could not seem to win the big games. TX was glad to see Barnes go, they were tired of him and I am glad we got him because the guy can coach lesser talent into a good "Team".

Reactions: 1 person
With everything the Tennessee Volunteers did to help Texas a couple of hundred years ago, it was nice of them to give us Barnes in return.

The difference being that the Tennesseans involved sacrificed their lives in the battle with Santa Anna.
Fortunately for Rick Barnes, Knoxville does not have an Alamo.

He had a good run at Texas but it was time to move on. Both he and the longhorns needed a change of scenery. I’d say we were quite the beneficiary.

VN Store

Back