Recruiting

collins8

I know we are focused on the NCAA tournament as we should be. My biggest question is the offseason, do we just take one with the scholarship available or do we ask some players to leave in order to free up a scholarship? If we do, who do we ask to leave? Also, who do we get in the off season?

Right now, we have nobody committed. And we currently have one open scholarship. Main targets seem to be anfernee simons, and Tyler Harris. Which apparently things aren’t looking good for either. So, we may keep the scholarship for 2019.

Reactions: 1 person
There is going to be some attrition.

Johnson couldn't be happy with his minutes. I thought he's earned a few of Bowden's.

Hard to imagine top players not wanting to get involved with this program.

There is going to be some attrition.

Johnson couldn't be happy with his minutes. I thought he's earned a few of Bowden's.

Hard to imagine top players not wanting to get involved with this program.

Johnson had surgery 3 months before the season and missed a ton of practice time. He's also lost his RS year. AS has one year left. Bowden has 2. Johnson has 3. His best option is to work his tail off in the off season and he'll have a year or two in the spot light.

I heard today that Mike Daum, the 6-9 PF from South Dakota State who had 27 pts and 6 rebs against tOSU today, may opt to be a grad transfer next season. Would be nice to add him to next year's team if Simons opts for the NBA.

Reactions: 3 people
Can we wait till the end of the tourney before speculating who will transfer now that it's started? There's actual basketball to watch

Reactions: 3 people
Darrington might try to get closer to home. Knoxville News Sentinel had a story yesterday about all he has gone through this year.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/mens-basketball/2018/03/14/ncaa-tournament-2018-tennessee-vols-basketball-march-madness-chris-darrington-deshawn-gott/394065002/

Last edited:
I heard today that Mike Daum, the 6-9 PF from South Dakota State who had 27 pts and 6 rebs against tOSU today, may opt to be a grad transfer next season. Would be nice to add him to next year's team if Simons opts for the NBA.

Tariq Owens has also announced he’s likely to be a grad transfer...come back home?

Good guard from Evansville also going grad transfer route...there will be many more I’m sure, guessing Vols will look at all their options when their season ends.

Coaching carousel will open things up with some guys, transfer market and then graduate transfers...with only 1 open spot they can afford to be very patient.

Adding Daum would be huge. He's legit. Can't imagine a better addition to the team than him. Although an elite guard would be nice.

Right now, we have nobody committed. And we currently have one open scholarship. Main targets seem to be anfernee simons, and Tyler Harris. Which apparently things aren’t looking good for either. So, we may keep the scholarship for 2019.

How are we not looking good for either of those players? Says who

crazy we have no one committed for 18

No point in Barnes offering his only scholarship to someone unless it's a player who makes this team even better. I'm sure there are a ton of guys who'd take it if Barnes offered it to them, but now he's in a position to be choosy.

Reactions: 2 people
I guess I'm just dumb, but how is that an option? I thought you had to attend school at least 1 year or go overseas for at least a year.

Simons has technically already graduated from Edgewater High School in Orlando. He’s currently spending a post-grad year at IMG Academy, a basketball factory in Manatee County, Florida that plays a national schedule and recently produced Duke point guard Trevon Duval.
Seeing that he’ll be 19 years old and one year removed from high school graduation in time for June’s draft, he’s eligible to enter if he wants to.

Meet Anfernee Simons, who could enter the 2018 NBA Draft through a loophole - SBNation.com

Memphis radio saying today that Simons may come to Memphis with Penny’s son. They play together at IMG. Penny’s son would be walk-on.

Last edited:
Memphis radio saying today that Simons may come to Memphis with Penny’s son. They play together at IMG. Penny’s son would be walk-on.

Memphis radio also said we know how it feels to have a pastner type coach ala Rick Barnes. Those clowns will throw sh** at a wall and it won't even stick. I hate Memphis radio, Gary Parrish is the worst along with Jason and Jon.

VN Store

Back