Grant Williams...

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I noticed in the SEC Championship game, he got called for a foul twice for getting into defensive position.

There was also times where he’d get mugged by 2-3 defenders in the paint and nothing would be called on the opposing players.

I don’t understand why the officials aren’t letting Williams be physical. Yea, I really don’t blame him arguing with the refs considering he’s always talking to them. Maybe that’s what it’s about.

Is it where he’s undersized that makes him an easy target?

I expect the same crap to happen in the NCAA Tournament where Williams will have to sit on the bench.

Reactions: 2 people
I noticed in the SEC Championship game, he got called for a foul twice for getting into defensive position.

There was also times where he’d get mugged by 2-3 defenders in the paint and nothing would be called on the opposing players.

I don’t understand why the officials aren’t letting Williams be physical. Yea, I really don’t blame him arguing with the refs considering he’s always talking to them. Maybe that’s what it’s about.

I expect the same crap to happen in the NCAA Tournament where Williams will have to sit on the bench.

Not sure which fouls you are referring to specifically, but I do know that he was whistled for one foul for violating the offensive player's "cylinder". That is a new rule in place just this year (I believe), that prohibits a defensive player from bodying up against an offensive player totally denying the offensive player any space to move. That is probably very poor wording of the rule, but hopefully you get the gist of it. The officials will call it, and the indicating hand gesture is to turn their hands perpendicular to the floor and make a simultaneous up-down motion. It has been a point of emphasis this season, but isn't called with regularity.

If I am not mistaken, Williams was also the beneficiary of that same rule in the next game as an offensive player himself.

Could probably help himself by not belly aching to refs after every possession.
Like Barnes said, shut Up and play.

Reactions: 7 people
Could probably help himself by not belly aching to refs after every possession.
Like Barnes said, shut Up and play.

Yep. His protests would be more effective if they didn't happen at every dead ball following a call/no call against him.

Didn't we establish during the Dooley years starting a thread with a players name just to ramble about some nonsense that's not important results in a 48 hour suspension from the board?

Reactions: 3 people

If he's just asking what he did to get the call, I don't mind that, but it does seem after every whistle he's chatting them up. I'm sure it may rub some of them the wrong way. With that being said, he is the P.O.Y. in our confrence, so he should get the benefit of the doubt every now and then.

Reactions: 1 person
The issue is the NCAA refs really don't know how to call fouls against or for him because of his rare combination of size/skill. Shaq and Barkley had the issue early in their careers in college and Lebron had it in his athletic prime (not saying he is on their level obviously, but the foul situation is similar.) Especially in terms of them getting fouled but just being so strong they don't react similarly to smaller players.

Don't expect it to get better honestly, but they could do an entire day of SEC ref training with just bad calls both for and against him if they wanted, but most of them being against.

At SECT last week, I noticed that ref in the Missouri game that Porter Jr was saved from a cheap foul that he clearly committed (even announcer said porter fouled but didn’t knock the ball OOB). I thought if that was Grant, he’d gotten the foul on him even if he didn’t foul but knocked the ball OOBs.

SEC refs suck.

I don’t think every time Grant goes to the refs he is complaining. Most of the time it seems like he is asking what he can do differently the next time to avoid the foul

Reactions: 2 people
I expect the quality of refs in the NCAA tourney to be much better than what we are used to in the SEC.

They tend to let the boys play and let the borderline calls go.

The less impact they have in the game, the better.

Mugged on the possession with less than a minute left. How they didn't call that one I will never know. Obviously altered the game.

Yep. His protests would be more effective if they didn't happen at every dead ball following a call/no call against him.

Hmm - sec player of the year -- crazy smart -- a coach and leader on the floor --

he probably knows the rules better than the refs - and much like a good coach complaining to the refs -- sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the next whistle to go their way.

On top of that, I see nothing wrong with trying to understand what he did wrong allegedly so he can recalibrate and correct.

Reactions: 3 people
Hmm - sec player of the year -- crazy smart -- a coach and leader on the floor --

he probably knows the rules better than the refs - and much like a good coach complaining to the refs -- sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the next whistle to go their way.

On top of that, I see nothing wrong with trying to understand what he did wrong allegedly so he can recalibrate and correct.

Yes, talking to them asking for clarification isn't a bad idea as long as he's not *****ing and moaning about the call. Actually getting to know the refs is a good idea as long as he's showing them respect. Barnes tapes their names right next to his seat every game.

If the refs told him his shoes were untied, he be in their ear complaining about the shoe string manufacturing... Just play ball..

I tend to think him being a little shorter/bulked up refs expect him to be more physical to get position and tag him , drawing more fouls.

If the refs told him his shoes were untied, he be in their ear complaining about the shoe string manufacturing... Just play ball..

Fulfilmer made an excellent point. We're assuming that Grant is complaining, but he might could be simply getting a clarification on the calls so that he can avoid more whistles. As long as he's respectful, in the long run his conversations with the refs could pay dividends. GW is a smart kid.

Sure, he knows the rules. But the officials have a job to do, and they are far more receptive to open dialogue when it comes in small doses. I know, because I used to be one.

His protest would be more effective if he did it on occasion. Think of the boy who cried wolf. No one took him seriously after so many times, and the one time he had a legit complaint, it fell on deaf ears.

Sure, he knows the rules. But the officials have a job to do, and they are far more receptive to open dialogue when it comes in small doses. I know, because I used to be one.

His protest would be more effective if he did it on occasion. Think of the boy who cried wolf. No one took him seriously after so many times, and the one time he had a legit complaint, it fell on deaf ears.

The only issue with that analogy is, we have video evidence of a lot of bad calls. If anything its the reverse of the boy who cried wolf, because there's more BS calls than not.

VN Store

Back