What should be our expectations?

Dougie_D

Even though we were picked 13th, it’s obvious we either overachieved or the SEC were just picking blindly.

But now, we all know our strengths and weaknesses.

The question is what would be consider a disappointment?

1st round? Elite 8?

For me, I EXPECT reaching Sweet 16. Anything less would be a disappointment IMO

Reactions: 2 people
E8 considering the draw would be expected.
-Avoided an underseeded upset-prone team.
-Weakest 2 seed (imo) in the bracket.
-6/11 are decent, but nothing special. Miami is inconsistent and Loy-Chi is who they are.

KenPom says we're the most likely of the SEC teams to get to the F4.
Not saying we will, but respect his opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
E8 considering the draw would be expected.
-Avoided an underseeded upset-prone team.
-Weakest 2 seed (imo) in the bracket.
-6/11 are decent, but nothing special. Miami is inconsistent and Loy-Chi is who they are.

I don't really agree the E8 should be "expected", with a potential match against #2 Cincy possibly looming in the S16, but the E8 is certainly a possibility, if the Vols shoot like they did in the first 20 mins. against Ark. If they shoot like they did the first 15 mins against UK however, they won't sniff the E8.

Seems like lots of people are somewhat dismissing Cincy. They lost 4 games all year. I don't care what conference you play in (and theirs is pretty decent) that's impressive. I guess it ls because their name isn't Duke or UNC.

Sweet 16. That is fair for this team. Anything further would be a bonus and anything sooner would be a disappointment. I understand we were picked 13/14 but this is a good Basketball team.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like lots of people are somewhat dismissing Cincy. They lost 4 games all year. I don't care what conference you play in (and theirs is pretty decent) that's impressive. I guess it ls because their name isn't Duke or UNC.

I do care what conference you're in. There's a giant difference in UK going undefeated compared to how Wichita State did. Cincy is good, but they are a very meh team when you actually look at the players. A good team, but definitely the weakest 2 seed imo.

I do care what conference you're in. There's a giant difference in UK going undefeated compared to how Wichita State did. Cincy is good, but they are a very meh team when you actually look at the players. A good team, but definitely the weakest 2 seed imo.

UNC is the weakest 2 seed

Close, but I don't trust Cincy. UNC though...the record is ugly, but they are a balanced and very experienced team. Don't think Roy has done very well with them this season.

Just because they play in the American doesn't mean they aren't good. Houston and Wichita St are both very good teams.

Their worst two games of the year were back in early December and those were just losses to Xavier and Florida. Aside from that they've been very consistent.

I think the best argument for UNC is that they are seemingly trending up.. despite the losses I think they're playing their best ball of the year.

No expectations

No disappointments

With every win it's more house $

And when the Vols lose I will give them a LONG standing ovation as they exit the court!

My expectations have been met by making the dance. Everything going forward is a bonus and will prepare this team for next year, I expect them to make the dance again.

Lmao at E8 being the expectation

The expectation should be don’t lose the opening game, I think the 2nd game is more of a toss up so I won’t pin that one as expected but I can see why some would.

Unless you think we're over-seeded and should really be a 5 seed or lower, the expectation is a Sweet 16.

I think there are two different conversations here - what we need to accomplish in the tournament to hit your expectations for the season. And now that we're in, what are the expectations for the tournament itself. I think most agree that making the tournament, let alone as a 3 seed exceeded the expectations we had coming into the season. But now that we're here, it's fine to adjust the expectations to fit reality... we should make the S16

Even though we were picked 13th, it’s obvious we either overachieved or the SEC were just picking blindly.

But now, we all know our strengths and weaknesses.

The question is what would be consider a disappointment?

1st round? Elite 8?

For me, I EXPECT reaching Sweet 16. Anything less would be a disappointment IMO

Nothing beyond a 1st rd loss would be a disappointment on a great season.

That said, at this point with our draw, I expect a Sweet 16, and have a reasonable amount of confidence in an Elite 8...and I can't tell you how crazy it feels to actually say that out loud.

Unless you think we're over-seeded and should really be a 5 seed or lower, the expectation is a Sweet 16.

I think there are two different conversations here - what we need to accomplish in the tournament to hit your expectations for the season. And now that we're in, what are the expectations for the tournament itself. I think most agree that making the tournament, let alone as a 3 seed exceeded the expectations we had coming into the season. But now that we're here, it's fine to adjust the expectations to fit reality... we should make the S16

I may be mistaken but thinking I saw a metric that said 50% chance we make the S16, does that sound about right?

If so, hard for me to “expect” something to happen that is 50/50.

Lmao at E8 being the expectation

The expectation should be don’t lose the opening game, I think the 2nd game is more of a toss up so I won’t pin that one as expected but I can see why some would.

Agree.

When you're using the term "expectations" you can't set it at E8. That's nuts.

I am really hopeful for a run this year though. We've got a good team, good seed and a good draw.

I may be mistaken but thinking I saw a metric that said 50% chance we make the S16, does that sound about right?

If so, hard for me to “expect” something to happen that is 50/50.

60%

Compare that to other teams in our region. We have the 3rd best odds to make the S16.. And of the teams on our side of the region, we have a 34% better chance than the next team. So I think it should be pretty clear that we are expected to make the S16

UVA - 83
Cincy - 78
Tennessee - 59
Arizona - 48
Kentucky - 40
Miami - 25
Nevada - 7
Creighton - 10
Kansas St - 7
Texas - 13
Loyola - 14
Davidson - 8
Buffalo - 4
Wright St - 2
Georgia St - 2
UMBC - 0.3

Last edited:

I agree with this. For the season, making the round of 32 is great.

Considering our draw, I expect Sweet 16 and am pretty hopeful for Elite 8

VN Store

Back