Nit and new rules

dougvolfan

The nit is sending up a test balloon for ncaa basketball. Four ten minute quarters/lane from 12-16 foot/offensive rebound off rim set back to 20 seconds not 30 and three point line extended by 1 ft 8 inches. What do you think?

The nit is sending up a test balloon for ncaa basketball. Four ten minute quarters/lane from 12-16 foot/offensive rebound off rim set back to 20 seconds not 30 and three point line extended by 1 ft 8 inches. What do you think?

Farther 3-point line: YES

Quarters: don't really care

Wider lane: they don't call 3-seconds for half of the violations now

20 second reset: I'm good with 30

Reactions: 3 people

Leave the rules alone and get some better refs

Reactions: 9 people
The lane looks narrower to me. What exactly is the 12-16 change?

Edit: I googled and see that the free throw lane has been widened from 12 to 16 feet. I'm not clear if that only applies to just lining up for free throws or if the 3 second zone is also extended. I think it's maybe just for free throws... which isn't a bad rule change. I just wish that the 3-second rule would be enforced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I wish the 3 point line was moved back 5-7 feet, even at the expense of not having it on the sidelines. Since 81 or 82, the 3pt line has become violent change to basketball. The game is drastically different now then before the line, or even in its infancy.

Go pull up an old game and just watch how different the game is played. Posting 4 guys around a 20' arc while one guy drives is just getting boring to me. Where has the beauty of the mid range jumper gone. Remember MJ winning the natty with that 17 footer? He would be benched for a shot like that now. Heard UFs coach scolding his players vs Bama earlier this year for just that.

Make it a very difficult and rare shot to get 3. That would open the 12-18' game again that is beautiful IMO.

*Wider lane? Don't know why.
*20 seconds after offensive board? = Great idea
*12' height? It needs to happen at some point
*Quarters? Not if it increases stoppage. That's most of a game nowadays is timeouts, ref reviews and foul shots. Seemed like stoppage vs play was 3:1 in the Arky & UK games this week. The TV was in commercial more than the actual event!

I like the quarters....the NCAA men are the only ones not doing quarters

I'm for a 20 second shot clock after an offensive board too

I'm also for the extended 3pt line

With quarters you eliminate the 1-1, which I don't know if I like or not.

With quarters you eliminate the 1-1, which I don't know if I like or not.

I would like to see a change which would allow the fouled team to have the option of keeping possession of the ball rather than having to shoot the 1 and 1 or the double bonus. The throw in should be uncontested. This would shorten the game and the fouled team would have the option to shoot foul shots if they wanted to. I hate it when the last 2 minutes of a game takes 10 or more minutes to play.

Why don't they just implement the rules of the NBA and be done with it. 24 second shot clock, no one and ones just the bonus after as many fouls, 23 foot three point, and a ten foot goal.

It's plain stupid to me why we practice different rules at the college level than at the pro levels. Speed up the game, have less foul calls, better shots, and more action!

Count me among those who don't like the quarters. Watching the MTSU game last night and the last 10 secs of each of the first two quarters was Vermont using fouls to stop play and prevent a shot getting off. Fouls reset each quarter so in this case Vermont had "fouls to give". If you like play being stopped, quarters is the way to go. Not me.

I’ve always preferred quarters to halves. I could care less about the lane. Doesn’t really seem to be an issue. Heck no to the 20 second reset. That’s just asking for trouble with the clock operator. I could see there being a lot of complaints on that one. I’d love for the 3pt line to be extended since there’s such an emphasis on that shot in today’s basketball. It’s nice that the NCAA is actually experimenting to see how it works.

Count me among those who don't like the quarters. Watching the MTSU game last night and the last 10 secs of each of the first two quarters was Vermont using fouls to stop play and prevent a shot getting off. Fouls reset each quarter so in this case Vermont had "fouls to give". If you like play being stopped, quarters is the way to go. Not me.

Me too, do not like quarters.

Me too, do not like quarters.

Why? There are 4 automatic stoppages each half (16, 12, 8, and 4). With quarters, there is only 3 (5, 10, 5). Also, men's NCAA is the only level/league anywhere that plays halves.

Edit: sorry, didn't realize the response was in regards to fouls.

Last edited:
I would like to see a change which would allow the fouled team to have the option of keeping possession of the ball rather than having to shoot the 1 and 1 or the double bonus. The throw in should be uncontested. This would shorten the game and the fouled team would have the option to shoot foul shots if they wanted to. I hate it when the last 2 minutes of a game takes 10 or more minutes to play.

My thought has been once the fouled team is in double bonus, they can take a throwin to back court. Defensive team can't cross midcourt line to defend. That essentially becomes an active 10 second runoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought has been once the fouled team is in double bonus, they can take a throwin to back court. Defensive team can't cross midcourt line to defend. That essentially becomes an active 10 second runoff.

That is better than what we now have. There should not be an award for fouling.

Quarters needs to happen. Only division in all of basketball it isn't. Shot clock needs to stay the same because it completely ruins some of the value of offensive boards in close games late.

Three point line though? No complaints. Players are far more skilled today than they were 20 years ago, on all levels. May as well make it match the skill level.

VN Store

Back