Official March Madness Thread

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Catch-all thread for general NCAA Tourney Chatter and non-Vol game threads.

Games start tonight at 640 between Long Island and Radford followed by UCLA and St. Bonventure.

Every year since the play-in game was started, at least one team has advanced to the round of 32. Several have gone to the second weekend (including us) and VCU made the final 4.

I could see TCU go down to one of the winners. And given how inconsistent Florida is, they could also lose to the play in winner.

Reactions: 1 person
Catch-all thread for general NCAA Tourney Chatter and non-Vol game threads.

Games start tonight at 640 between Long Island and Radford followed by UCLA and St. Bonventure.

Every year since the play-in game was started, at least one team has advanced to the round of 32. Several have gone to the second weekend (including us) and VCU made the final 4.

I could see TCU go down to one of the winners. And given how inconsistent Florida is, they could also lose to the play in winner.

I’ve got UF losing in round 1.

Do y’all consider tonight’s game to be part of the real tournament?

For me the tourney starts Thursday. These are “play in” games in my mind as they’ve long been referred to. Glad they are getting away from calling it the first round and have went back to calling the first round the first round. Now they call it “the first four” which is better than trying to pretend it’s the first round IMO.

For me the tourney starts Thursday. These are “play in” games in my mind as they’ve long been referred to. Glad they are getting away from calling it the first round and have went back to calling the first round the first round. Now they call it “the first four” which is better than trying to pretend it’s the first round IMO.

Yes...imo how can you tell one of these 16 seeds that they didn’t make the tourney because they lost to another 16 in the opening round?

BTO - of the 8 teams playing in the play in games which of them were at large?

16 LUI - Brooklyn
16 Radford

11 St Bonaventure
11 UCLA

16 NC Central
16 Texas Southern

11 Arizona State
11 Syracuse

BTO - of the 8 teams playing in the play in games which of them were at large?

16 LUI - Brooklyn
16 Radford

11 St Bonaventure
11 UCLA

16 NC Central
16 Texas Southern

11 Arizona State
11 Syracuse

The 11s are the last 4 in

The 11s are the last 4 in

That's what I was thinking. Why not just make all the 11 seeds the last 8 teams and give all the auto qualifiers a real spot in the dance?

To me, they are robbing those 16 seeds of a real tournament appearance and the only reason they did it was to try and legitimize the play in game to act like it wasn't a play in game.

That's what I was thinking. Why not just make all the 11 seeds the last 8 teams and give all the auto qualifiers a real spot in the dance?

To me, they are robbing those 16 seeds of a real tournament appearance and the only reason they did it was to try and legitimize the play in game to act like it wasn't a play in game.

Imo there are a few conferences that don't deserve a spot. Hell I think one team in the field was 0-14 maybe

No. I've always thought of them as play-in games to get into the actual tournament. I also like how they dispensed with calling these "first round" games this year. Them calling the games on Thursday and Friday as "second round" games was dumb.

Last edited:
Didn't we make it to the sweet 16 a few years back on a play in game?? So yea they absolutely count

Didn't we make it to the sweet 16 a few years back on a play in game?? So yea they absolutely count

Yes, the Conz's last hurrah. Of course, our trip that far was absolutely enabled by Duke losing in the first round, so we got Mercer instead of them.

No. I've always thought of them as play-in games to get into the actual tournament. I also like how they dispensed with calling these "first round" games this year. Them calling the games on Thursday and Friday as "second round" games was dumb.

Agree completely. Glad they are getting away from that.

You can call a cat a dog but it doesn’t make it true. They weren’t first round games any more than I am Michael Jordan.

It sure did in 2011 (first year they had it). VCU was involved in the 11-seed play-in game and went to the Final Four.

UConn won that year. They didn't have to play VCU, so it's arguable that VCU's presence actually changed the outcome of the tournament.

UConn was definitely the best team in the tournament that year

My favorite is when people would try to say the play in games were the first round and the other 60 teams received a first round bye. Lmao. How absurd is that!?!?

2 of the teams in the "first 4" would have made the tournament otherwise. Those teams all of a sudden "don't make the tournament" just because the field is expanded

UConn won that year. They didn't have to play VCU, so it's arguable that VCU's presence actually changed the outcome of the tournament.

UConn was definitely the best team in the tournament that year

I highly, highly doubt you'd make that bolded statement before the tournament started. UConn was a 3 seed. A good team, and one you wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they won it all, but hardly "definitely the best team."

That year, VCU beat #2 Georgetown, #3 Purdue, and #1 Kansas en route to the Final Four. To say that they had an impact on the tournament that year would be a massive understatement.

I highly, highly doubt you'd make that bolded statement before the tournament started. UConn was a 3 seed. A good team, and one you wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they won it all, but hardly "definitely the best team."

That year, VCU beat #2 Georgetown, #3 Purdue, and #1 Kansas en route to the Final Four. To say that they had an impact on the tournament that year would be a massive understatement.

The outcome of the tournament

VN Store

Back