SEC Tournament format

What would your choice be for the SECT format?

• Total voters

CTVolsfan14

twitter- CJSOUSA14
Curious if the rest of the Volnation family has the same thoughts I do : Should the SEC change the format of the tournament as far as when it starts/finishes?

I think the current format lessons the importance in a way of the tournament title game but more importantly, puts the entire league at a disadvantage for the NCAA Tournament. Hate that I agree with anything Coach Cal says but he is dead on correct IMO to complain about their draw. Huge win in the conference tournament, biggest of the season, the team is elated ...and 3 hours later their reward is hopping on a flight to Boise Idaho to play a game in 3 days?

First thought for me when Admiral went down yesterday is oh shoot, any type of even minor injury and he may miss the NCAAs in 4 days..

I'm curious to see how the Big 10 teams respond to a full week off. Would imagine it hurts the red hot winners (Michigan this year) but gives the rest (Mainly Purdue) about 10 days to rest up, figure out what went wrong and come up with a plan for the NCAA.

Personally I like the ACC tournament, end on a Saturday - give your tournament winner their night but give the rest of the league that extra day or two.. curious on all of your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
I am definitely against the way the Big 10 ran their tournament this year. I would not be opposed to ending the SEC tournament on Saturday.

I think they should just cancel the whole darn thing forever. Waste of time and players energy. If you haven't played yourself into the tournament after 30 games, you don't belong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 people
In the minority here it seems, but I like ending on Sunday. If we move it back, it is either a ridiculously long wait (Big 10) or more games on the weekdays which makes it harder for those in work/school to view.

Case of if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Eliminate double bye. Reduce # of rounds from 5 to 4. Have Wed-Sat

(1) Gets bye. Plays winner of (8) and (9) in quarterfinal.
(2) Gets bye. Plays winner of (7) and (10) in QF
(3) v (14). Winner plays (6) and (11) in QF. Winner of QF plays ((2) vs (7-10) winner) in SF.
(4) v (13). Winner plays (5) and (12) in QF. Winner of QF plays ((1) vs (8-9) winner) in SF.

Reactions: 2 people
I think they should just cancel the whole darn thing forever. Waste of time and players energy. If you haven't played yourself into the tournament after 30 games, you don't belong.

That's a hearty amen. The conference tourneys are at best like the show, Survivor, and at worst MMA, where both winner and losers are battered or even worse, injured. I would speculate that despite a great SEC tourney run, UT gained very little as did Kentucky. How about MTSU? You think Syracuse deserves to get in ahead of the Blue Raiders? Conference tournaments should go the way of the old "no shot clock and no 3 pt line" game.

The Big10 was off a week because of greed. They wanted to play in MSG and it was booked so they moved their tournament up a week. After all, NYC is the center of Big10 geography just like St Louis is the heart of the SEC. Both are STUPID!

The center geographically of the SEC is just northeast of Hamilton, AL. The SEC tournament should alternate between Memphis, Nashville, and Atlanta. Those 3 cities have pro sports arenas and are within 2-3 hours of this midpoint.

Reactions: 2 people
In the minority here it seems, but I like ending on Sunday. If we move it back, it is either a ridiculously long wait (Big 10) or more games on the weekdays which makes it harder for those in work/school to view.

Case of if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Newsflash: IT'S BROKE!

I'm convinced that the outcome of the game has zero impact on tournament seeding. The game is played too damn late! Calipari was complaining about this last year. I'm convinced we would have been a three seed even if we had won the tournament. Kentucky, for all their trouble, ended up with the same seed they were projected to have before the tournament and in the toughest bracket of the tournament with Arizona, Virginia and Tennessee all potentially waiting on them.

If the game is played on a Saturday, it is more likely to impact seeding.

doubt it will disappear altogether...money...would actually like to see it end earlier, like Big 10, to heal, rest, relax, prepare...

GBO!

Conference tournaments are a waste of time. If you have to have a conference tournament then there should be early seeding by the selection committee and allow those teams who are already seeded in the NCAA tournament to opt out of conference tournaments. Bubble teams would be able to play into the tournament with a strong performance in the conference tournament. Or have some regional play in tournaments for bubble teams during the week that would be designated for the conference tournament.

I realize this is wishful thinking and would result in lost revenue for conferences and their host city.

They won't be shortening it or doing away with it because $$$ but I could get behind Tues-Sat.

We’re playing too many games when you have to play a team 3x in a season, and now possibly 4x (KY).... just scrap the damn thing, let the players rest. Another idiotic thing is half the games are played on < 24 hours rest. Good way to get players hurt.

We’re playing too many games when you have to play a team 3x in a season, and now possibly 4x (KY).... just scrap the damn thing, let the players rest. Another idiotic thing is half the games are played on < 24 hours rest. Good way to get players hurt.

Welcome to reality. But it happens in good basketball conferences- potentially playing 4x a year. Ask Duke/UNC. In reality is rare. Last time I recall was 1987 for the Cats. We beat LSU 3x in regular season and lost in the Elite 8. TBH UK won't be around for another game with you.

Reactions: 1 person
Just like bowl games. Too much money on line for them to cancel but regular season title means more. KY gets hot at end of season and wins tourney shouldn't mean as much. Should def end on sat. Extra day rest is important. Think sec likes last day exposure.

Just like bowl games. Too much money on line for them to cancel but regular season title means more. KY gets hot at end of season and wins tourney shouldn't mean as much. Should def end on sat. Extra day rest is important. Think sec likes last day exposure.

Exactly. If you don't want to be a 5 seed, don't go 10-8 in your conference.

Exactly. If you don't want to be a 5 seed, don't go 10-8 in your conference.

Bingo. Wish Cal subscribed to that theory instead of whining about location and seed. He gets to experience what 99% of the rest of college basketball has to experience for once.

VN Store

Back