Can we all agree that Selection Sunday was awful?

Persian Vol

I should be studying.
I don’t know about you guys, but selection Sunday is one of the best sports days of the year for me, and last night was an abomination.

1) From the start, seeing Ernie And Greg standing up in front of a live audience while not having their audio synced was nauseating.

2) On what planet did they think it would be a good idea to spend 5-10 minutes alphabetically naming teams we already knew were in.

3) What an awful way to ruin drama and suspense. Seeing a bubble team you weren’t expecting at that 10 or 11 seed is a big part in what makes watching this entertaining. I have no idea why they would shy away from what makes this event so interesting.

4) The presentation of the seeding was lackluster as well. I liked the usual presentations of each #1 seed and what not. But they just went ahead and threw out that information like nothing. It was such an odd event because they produce this gimmicky live audience to make this more “exciting”, yet they made the actual presentation as boring and unimaginative as possible.

5) Rather than just showing the screen directly, they had to have a camera zoom into another large screen on the wall to reveal the selections? Might as well have Marcus Spears and Greg McElroy touch the screen to reveal the selections while your at it for ****s sake.

Selection Sunday was simplistic, and very entertaining. This time around, it was filled with nonsense, unprofessional (Mike Pearl, really?), and dull. I’m more enraged than anything due to the fact that they turned something that was so great into something that I could have honestly lived without watching.

Reactions: 12 people
You watched that BS?

Speaking of being nauseated, DICKIE-V.... Win or lose, doesn't matter who is playing he is intolerable. His "color" is just gibberish. Usually just find something else to watch. Time for network to move on.

Reactions: 9 people
Always some yahoo who thinks he's so clever in trying to reinvent the wheel. They started that tripe and I grabbed the remote thinking I was on the wrong channel. When I realized that was indeed the selection show, I decided to clean my workshop instead. Found the bracket this morning. All I need an this point. Awful show format.

Reactions: 2 people
The alphabetical order was asinine.

The producer or whoever pulled that one should be unemployed. Just horrendous.

Another example of people trying to improve on something that is already as good as it needs to be.

Pizza Hut might want to consider spending their advertising dollars elsewhere. Let's see, first we have Ernie Johnson grudgingly taking a bite before telling the audience they're getting some pizza too. This was followed by him scolding the audience for not showing much enthusiasm for getting free pizza. Then Barkley or Kenny Smith (I forget which) quips "there's no such thing as bad pizza," then finally the other says something to the effect that there is such thing as bad pizza and Pizza Hut is *just* barely a step above. Cringe-worthy

Reactions: 1 person
We are playing well right now. I see us beating Wright State and losing to Miami in the second round.
For those of us, who watch the NCAA tourney carefully, we know that ALOT depends on match ups. If you draw a HOT team, at any point, in the tourney, you an easily be eliminated.
In the past, when we advanced to the Sweet 16, we had good match ups. San Diego State, UMass, etc. etc. and we avoided Witicha State, Gonzaga, Texas, UConn, etc.

Pizza Hut might want to consider spending their advertising dollars elsewhere. Let's see, first we have Ernie Johnson grudgingly taking a bite before telling the audience they're getting some pizza too. This was followed by him scolding the audience for not showing much enthusiasm for getting free pizza. Then Barkley or Kenny Smith (I forget which) quips "there's no such thing as bad pizza," then finally the other says something to the effect that there is such thing as bad pizza and Pizza Hut is *just* barely a step above. Cringe-worthy

Bad mouthing their own sponsors during paid product placement. That’s next level right there lol

I don’t watch it anymore because team A coast through the year and gets a high seed. Team B busts ass all year and knocks off xyz and gets a 8-9. It’s set up purely to keep the seats and the pockets full

We eat Pizza Hut but calling it good pizza or anything close is a stone cold lie

Didn't watch any of that nonsense. Just waited for the bracket to be broadcast on yahoo.com.

I don’t know about you guys, but selection Sunday is one of the best sports days of the year for me, and last night was an abomination.

1) From the start, seeing Ernie And Greg standing up in front of a live audience while not having their audio synced was nauseating.

2) On what planet did they think it would be a good idea to spend 5-10 minutes alphabetically naming teams we already knew were in.

3) What an awful way to ruin drama and suspense. Seeing a bubble team you weren’t expecting at that 10 or 11 seed is a big part in what makes watching this entertaining. I have no idea why they would shy away from what makes this event so interesting.

4) The presentation of the seeding was lackluster as well. I liked the usual presentations of each #1 seed and what not. But they just went ahead and threw out that information like nothing. It was such an odd event because they produce this gimmicky live audience to make this more “exciting”, yet they made the actual presentation as boring and unimaginative as possible.

5) Rather than just showing the screen directly, they had to have a camera zoom into another large screen on the wall to reveal the selections? Might as well have Marcus Spears and Greg McElroy touch the screen to reveal the selections while your at it for ****s sake.

Selection Sunday was simplistic, and very entertaining. This time around, it was filled with nonsense, unprofessional (Mike Pearl, really?), and dull. I’m more enraged than anything due to the fact that they turned something that was so great into something that I could have honestly lived without watching.

You are right on the money. It was abysmal. The only thing that needed to improve was removing the over-analysis as brackets are being revealed (SHUT UP SETH, NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK!) to move it along with a bit more pace. No need to fully break down a bracket until all are shown. The rest was fun, dramatic, suspenseful, and great to watch. Last night they managed to ruin something that I thought could not be ruined. I was wrong.

Speaking of my boy Seth, can they not find anyone better? Give me a healthy dose of Clark Kellogg, but watching Seth work so hard to interject his unwanted and often dead wrong predictions is painful on a yearly basis. They did seem to manage to preserve that part...

Anyway, great post. I appreciate the opportunity to vent.

I wondered if anyone else caught the Mike Pearl comment. Very unprofessional. The audio sync was a problem on a couple of occasions. It later screwed up while interviewing the selection chairman.

It was bush league. Something I'd expect from a high school.

we were in it........it was awesome....THE Big Orange is playing post season, its been awhile:good!:

The media has been going down hill for a long time. Not surprising. Just give me the news. Just the facts ma'am is long gone. Too much opinion and blustering. While I agree with Dickie V on Oklahoma State, just having to listen to this blow hard is tough to take. When he started cheering for "Big Blue Nation" during the game that was the last straw.

That indicates just how bad TBS' NBA show is. They HAD the CBS Model to go by, but Blew it Bigtime. The most unprofessional bunch of Crap I've ever seen! Glad I wasn't the only one. Geeze People! This really shows how important the PRODUCER Is!

Last edited:
Watched ESPN's Dork V about 30 seconds and switched to Bob Kessling.

Watched about 3 minutes of the ESPN Selection Sunday and turned it off and went to get grocerys.

Both were really, really bad.

The old joke about it being the Especially Stupid Prognosticator's Network has become hard reality.

The Bios of all the committee members should be provided to the public months before the tournament teams are chosen.

These guys need to be heavily scrutinized to see if they're qualified to do this well.

Are they just a bunch of older white guys who want control over the tournament?

Are they any different than the old white guys who lord over the rules of golf?

VN Store

Back