Barnes, muscle memory & Kentucky (next time).

VolTexas

Barnes is a great coach and I make a point to listen to his post game interviews. I learn something almost every time.

After the Kentucky game he talked about not executing to the scouting report when shooting layups. "High off the glass so they can't block it."

Admiral shoots 1000 shots a day to train muscle memory.

Altering easy shots for a particular opponent probably needs to happen earlier, in days, than it is right now. Muscle memory is fighting coaching direction. If the team shoots layups high off the glass from now on, they don't need to know it is for Kentucky (and that their coaches are looking past the next game).

They just need to know they are working to get better.

Folks know a lot more than I do. Does this seem like it would help get the team past Kentucky if they see them again, ever?

Reactions: 3 people
We beat them 2 out of 3. For the most we played pretty good. First half lost us that game. Fighting back to take the lead from 17 down showed me we are still the better team. But youth showed up to many times also. Individually Kentucky has better athletes. As a team we are much better. We get in trouble when we make lazy passes. Fumble the ball away to often. And not blocking out. We are a big man away from being very dominate. We need a rim protector. I love Williams. But we need a 6"10 version of him.

Reactions: 6 people
We didn't help ourselves by starting out 5 for 26 on FGs. Most of those were open looks, regardless of what you hear about KY's awesome defense.

Reactions: 4 people
We beat them 2 out of 3. For the most we played pretty good. First half lost us that game. Fighting back to take the lead from 17 down showed me we are still the better team. But youth showed up to many times also. Individually Kentucky has better athletes. As a team we are much better. We get in trouble when we make lazy passes. Fumble the ball away to often. And not blocking out. We are a big man away from being very dominate. We need a rim protector. I love Williams. But we need a 6"10 version of him.
Speaking of Williams; to me, he seemed to pout early when things didn't go his way. I think that is why Barnes took him out. What think you?

Reactions: 1 person
Speaking of Williams; to me, he seemed to pout early when things didn't go his way. I think that is why Barnes took him out. What think you?

Or maybe the just gets a little sideways over being held, hacked, elbowed and banged every time the ball comes into him and never gets a favorable whistle. :mf_surrender:

Reactions: 10 people
Hell, just keep shooting that way. Most teams will have a size advantage on us so just go with it. It's like a putting stroke. Keep changing and you'll never be consistent.

My favorite Vol is the Admiral, undersized power forward brings it every time he takes the floor. Real banger too. :good!:

Speaking of Kentucky, gotta love Calipari whining about being sent to Boise:

After Calipari spoke on ESPN about how texts he received all agreed that UK "got screwed," estimated his team's flight to Boise would take six hours and suggested that some of his players didn't know what state Boise was in, Gonzaga head coach Mark Few was talking about his excitement over playing in Boise.

John Calipari: Kentucky's coach slammed for complaining about Boise

If shooting "high off the glass" was as effective as what they're doing normally, then they would do it normally. Does it really make sense to train to do something LESS effective for 30 out of 32 games per year because of 1 team that you'll play once or twice? I think not.

Trust Barnes. If he says they didn't follow the SR as they should, then they should have. After 30+ years of this, I figure he's got the layup strategy down pretty well.

Reactions: 3 people
I mean I get where he’s coming from.

I don't. Why does he think UK deserves preferential treatment? Univ of Cin is often sent out west for games. The committee's charge is to seed teams and possibly place them in certain regions. It's not their job to further look to see what city each game is being played in.

So far as I know, no #5 seed gets preferential treatment. None

Reactions: 2 people

Not to be "that guy" but muscles do not have memory, if they did brain dead people could move!

That could be the dumbest term used in sports. What they are actually doing to teaching our brain to tell our body what to do faster and in a similar way every time.

I don't. Why does he think UK deserves preferential treatment? Univ of Cin is often sent out west for games. The committee's charge is to seed teams and possibly place them in certain regions. It's not their job to further look to see what city each game is being played in.

Think Cal's issue is similar to Barnes; long travel day short turn around from SEC Tourney plus I'm sure Cal wants Big Blue Nation on hand to give him that home court advantage he enjoyed in St Louis and fewer will travel to Idaho than say Nashville. Don't think either coach thinks they deserve preferential treatment would have just preferred Nashville over Dallas or Boise.

Think Cal's issue is similar to Barnes; long travel day short turn around from SEC Tourney plus I'm sure Cal wants Big Blue Nation on hand to give him that home court advantage he enjoyed in St Louis and fewer will travel to Idaho than say Nashville. Don't think either coach thinks they deserve preferential treatment would have just preferred Nashville over Dallas or Boise.

There's a reason Davidson isn't complaining and they have a longer trip from North Carolina than Cal does.

Did Barnes complain? I heard Kessling on a radio interview this morning, and he said they stayed in St. Louis to watch the bracket show. Once we were shown playing Wright State, Kessling said that Barnes got up and told everyone it was time to go. He said Barnes has been so many times that he doesn't care about place or matchup. Just get us in and let's play.

To be fair, Lexington is a five hour drive from St. Louis, so it's probably a 45 minute flight. Cal looked he was in Lexington for his interview, so they were back quicker than UT.

He's just doing his usual sarcastic complaining. Cal couldn't care less if we played on Mars vs California vs Boise. He "complains" almost every year about the draw and location.

Not to be "that guy" but muscles do not have memory, if they did brain dead people could move!

That could be the dumbest term used in sports. What they are actually doing to teaching our brain to tell our body what to do faster and in a similar way every time.

I don't think it's suppose to be taken literal... I think they mean more of a mind-muscle connection. When you first start walking, riding a bike, driving, pretty much anything that is a learned behavior, etc. it takes practice in order to accomplish those things without really even thinking about it. If you put up that many shots the player doesn't even have to think about it, it just becomes a natural progression, similar to walking.

Lol Boise ain’t that bad. Also I do that trip all the time, Cal needs some balls. They should take a trip to Sun Valley and Hailey before the game though. Then they’d really be happy they went to Idaho. One of the most beautiful place’s in the world.

Did Barnes complain? I heard Kessling on a radio interview this morning, and he said they stayed in St. Louis to watch the bracket show. Once we were shown playing Wright State, Kessling said that Barnes got up and told everyone it was time to go. He said Barnes has been so many times that he doesn't care about place or matchup. Just get us in and let's play.

To be fair, Lexington is a five hour drive from St. Louis, so it's probably a 45 minute flight. Cal looked he was in Lexington for his interview, so they were back quicker than UT.

Less a complaint than said his (Barnes) preference would have been Nashville but if the Vols can make sweet 16 they are in Atlanta which means I might get to see them. So it's all good, every coach would prefer a closer venue for their fan base.

Maybe while they are in Boise before they get bounced by Arizona, Big Blue nation can take a group selfie on the football field.

The field is 97 kinds of awesome.

For the record, Arizona was the lowest 4 seed, Kentucky the highest 5 seed. I don't know that it's an automatic chalk win for Arizona.

The field is 97 kinds of awesome.

For the record, Arizona was the lowest 4 seed, Kentucky the highest 5 seed. I don't know that it's an automatic chalk win for Arizona.

Do you actually like that field?

I can't watch it on TV.
I'd say 97 kinds of horrible....... but its just my opinion.

Is it FAST or SLOW twitch muscle memory?

I'll hang up & listen.

VN Store

Back