BTO’s Kentucky postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Another year without winning that damn tournament, I would like to win it just once and it sure would’ve been sweet to do this year, but big picture hard to be upset. Kentucky is playing their best ball of the season and you can’t afford to spot a team that good a 17pt lead, nearly impossible to come back from...add in Schofield injury and definitely no easy task.

2. Defensively we just weren’t good at all, better 2nd half but allowing a team 50% 44%3pt 83%ft and you aren’t going to win very often. It was a ball game because we out rebounded them and only had 10 turnovers, but for a team that has been Top 5 defensively in the nation they struggled on that end tonight.

3. Offensively we were pretty good, missed a lot of shots that we usually hit and are good looks but thought we ran some pretty good stuff and for the most part got what we wanted. 2nd half was much better hitting shots, but again can’t have a first 15 minutes like we did and put yourself in that kind of hole.

4. Admiral Schofield was once again great, we suffered big time when he went out for that stretch of 5mins and 4secs, if he doesn’t go down I think we win that game. Even with those missed minutes he finished with 22pts 10rbds, also though Williams played another good game today not forcing stuff 15pts 9rbds...really everyone except Bowden played pretty well, he struggled today and hunted his shot more than usual even though he wasn’t on which I found a little odd.

5. I’m not down on the Vols after this game, disappointed because we had an opportunity to really break some streaks with a win and we were right there, but again nothing about this game makes me worry about heading into March. To me Kentucky is one of the Top 10 teams in the country over the last 3 weeks or so, they’re really playing well and we made it a game even though we put ourselves in a 17pt hole early on. Defensively we struggled but I think that was a combination of UK hitting some shots they typically don’t and probably our scout gave them a lot of those looks, I think defensively we will be ok.

6. Ok so big picture...unless Cincinnati loses it would seem like a 3 seed is what we are all expecting, and even if Cincinnati were to lose we may still stay at a 3, so my guess is that’s where we will be. Does this loss open the door for Michigan or Michigan State to move ahead of us and knock us out of Nashville? I don’t think so but it is at least worth watching, never know what the committee is going to do or what they’re thinking. So now we sit and wait, all hoping for a 2/3 seed in Nashville and ideally in the South region where if we won our first 2 in Nashville would then go to Atlanta.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Agreed.

We missed shots and Schofield’s absence really hurt our team chemistry.

I don’t think we were outcoached in this game, we just got out talented by better players.

Either way, no reason to hang our heads.

I was happy w what I saw. We went down only because we were playing tight and climbed back. We had a chance to win, even w our best player going out for a pivotal chunk of time in the second half. After the 6 game winning streak we were on, I think this game will end up helping more than hurting. Now in the tourney when we’re hnder pressure, we’ll have dealt w it before and know what to do.

Reactions: 2 people
Wish we could have seen both teams at 100% for the whole game. Schofield's injury really cost UT and UK could have used a rebounder in Vanderbilt. But anyway, it was a good game. UT can't be ashamed of the finish. Beating a team 3x is not easy regardless of the team.

If anything this should motivate UT and get them fired up for the NCAAT where it really counts.

Reactions: 1 person
We got one more win than I really wanted, so I'm pretty happy with the overall tournament result. Definitely could have won this one, but hopefully it makes our guys hungrier for NCAAT to prove themselves even more.

Agreed that everyone had a good game other than Bowden. Pons played well in first half but was a bit out of control in the second. I thought Walker was a bad matchup on Gabriel as well when he was playing. Fulk had some surprising man rebounds.

Wish we could have seen both teams at 100% for the whole game. Schofield's injury really cost UT and UK could have used a rebounder in Vanderbilt. But anyway, it was a good game. UT can't be ashamed of the finish. Beating a team 3x is not easy regardless of the team.

If anything this should motivate UT and get them fired up for the NCAAT where it really counts.

I’ve been saying all year this UK team reminds me of 2014. Seemingly got worse throughout the year, but finally got it going in the post season. I don’t think theyre going to make a championship game but I can see them making a run.

I'm not happy we lost but I am happy we fought back and made it a game. We can coulda, woulda,shoulda all day long but if we hadn't have had such a bad start a few bad stretches in the second half, we would have won.

Kentucky shot 50% from the floor while we only shot 37%. Yet they only won by 5 points. Disappointed but still very proud of this team. The better team didn't win today.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree, but now it just a 6 game win streak spaced out over three weeks.

Wanted the sweep of Ky and although this loss is hard to stomach, it may serve a purpose and get our vols another push. We have time to sit and reflect. Should be interesting to see how we perform for the tournament.

This lost maybe a blessing. 8-0 streak ends start another. Give me Nashville and Atlanta as 2 or 3 seed and we will see.

No damage done.

1. Another year without winning that damn tournament, I would like to win it just once and it sure would’ve been sweet to do this year, but big picture hard to be upset. Kentucky is playing their best ball of the season and you can’t afford to spot a team that good a 17pt lead, nearly impossible to come back from...add in Schofield injury and definitely no easy task.

2. Defensively we just weren’t good at all, better 2nd half but allowing a team 50% 44%3pt 83%ft and you aren’t going to win very often. It was a ball game because we out rebounded them and only had 10 turnovers, but for a team that has been Top 5 defensively in the nation they struggled on that end tonight.

3. Offensively we were pretty good, missed a lot of shots that we usually hit and are good looks but thought we ran some pretty good stuff and for the most part got what we wanted. 2nd half was much better hitting shots, but again can’t have a first 15 minutes like we did and put yourself in that kind of hole.

4. Admiral Schofield was once again great, we suffered big time when he went out for that stretch of about 6-7 minutes, if he doesn’t go down I think we win that game. Even with those missed minutes he finished with 22pts 10rbds, also though Williams played another good game today not forcing stuff 15pts 9rbds...really everyone except Bowden played pretty well, he struggled today and hunted his shot more than usual even though he wasn’t on which I found a little odd.

5. I’m not down on the Vols after this game, disappointed because we had an opportunity to really break some streaks with a win and we were right there, but again nothing about this game makes me worry about heading into March. To me Kentucky is one of the Top 10 teams in the country over the last 3 weeks or so, they’re really playing well and we made it a game even though we put ourselves in a 17pt hole early on. Defensively we struggled but I think that was a combination of UK hitting some shots they typically don’t and probably our scout gave them a lot of those looks, I think defensively we will be ok.

6. Ok so big picture...unless Cincinnati loses it would seem like a 3 seed is what we are all expecting, and even if Cincinnati were to lose we may still stay at a 3, so my guess is that’s where we will be. Does this loss open the door for Michigan or Michigan State to move ahead of us and knock us out of Nashville? I don’t think so but it is at least worth watching, never know what the committee is going to do or what they’re thinking. So now we sit and wait, all hoping for a 2/3 seed in Nashville and ideally in the South region where if we won our first 2 in Nashville would then go to Atlanta.

GBO!!!

Admiral only missed 3+ minutes of game time I believe, not 6-7 minutes.

We lost the game in the first 10 minutes when we let UK feel like they could play with us. IMO, had it been us up by 17, UK would have folded and we'd win by 15+. Testament to our guys for getting back in the game. Every shot we took in the first 17 minutes was short. Tired legs, I'm guessing.

Defense and rebounding in the first half was awful, especially defensive rebounding.

Feels like a 3 seed is most likely, and Nashville should be our destination.

Overall, my impression was that UK wanted to win more than UT. I say that because UK played hard for the entire game, but UT started slow and had to comeback.

This team had problems closing games early in the season. They need to get this issue of starting slow worked out or they could have trouble early in the tourney.

Just missed too many makeable shots. Other than that, dead even game. We will be fine for NCAA!

Is Vanderbilt going to play in the big dance for UK

Overall, my impression was that UK wanted to win more than UT. I say that because UK played hard for the entire game, but UT started slow and had to comeback.

This team had problems closing games early in the season. They need to get this issue of starting slow worked out or they could have trouble early in the tourney.

I didn't get that impression at all. We just came out tight as a drum which hasn't been the case against Kentucky before today.

This team has been a pleasant positive in a dismal athletic year for UT. Thanks to Rick and the guys and best of luck in the tourney.

Reactions: 3 people
I honestly think this lost hurt us. Coming in the tourney, I bet the committee had us ranked in the 7-9 area. Kentucky, even though not ranked, was probably going in as 20-24 (5th seed).

What confuses me the most is Arizona being a 4th seed and winning their championship. Michigan wins their championship and moves in 3rd seed. Duke not even getting the chance to play for title game and gets 2nd seed.

I actually think it helps us with a Cincy lost. We don't need the committee to put much emphasis on the championship games. If they do, then we could slip down to 4th.

Just shake this off and get ready for next week. We had an even shot of winning a 3rd game over the Cats, but with 2 minutes left we didn't make the plays and they did. The uncontested rebound after the free throw and easy put back, plus the air ball on the short hook by Brian hurt, but the missed minutes by Admiral made the difference. No excuses though. The Cats played well. We will beat them in the NCAAs if we meet them again.

We need a streak of our best consistency of play for 6 games. These guys aren't near done yet. GBO!

We lost the game in the first 10 minutes when we let UK feel like they could play with us. IMO, had it been us up by 17, UK would have folded and we'd win by 15+. Testament to our guys for getting back in the game. Every shot we took in the first 17 minutes was short. Tired legs, I'm guessing.

Defense and rebounding in the first half was awful, especially defensive rebounding.

Went out at 9:26 and reentered at 4:20

I honestly think this lost hurt us. Coming in the tourney, I bet the committee had us ranked in the 7-9 area. Kentucky, even though not ranked, was probably going in as 20-24 (5th seed).

What confuses me the most is Arizona being a 4th seed and winning their championship. Michigan wins their championship and moves in 3rd seed. Duke not even getting the chance to play for title game and gets 2nd seed.

I actually think it helps us with a Cincy lost. We don't need the committee to put much emphasis on the championship games. If they do, then we could slip down to 4th.

No. Our RPI ranking was #8 coming in to today. It may drop a little bit after this loss but not enough to knock us down to a 4 seed... We are solid as a 3.

The 17 point deficit that UT came back from took a lot of energy and Kentucky's length changed a lot of inside looks.

Bowden needs to rediscover his shooting stroke headed into the NCAA Tournament and I think UT gets a 3 seed.

It has been a great season so far.

Yeah, thought it was hilarious when Cal said we would fold if they got up big when the opposite was true.

If you told me before the season started that our guys would be playing for the SEC Tournament championship against UK of whom they beat twice during the season to finish as Co-SEC champions and that the overall record would be 25-8 and 13-5 in the SEC; I would have laughed in your face. This season was their best hope for next season and they are not done yet. Probably a #3 seed, which is fine. Go gettum Vols!

VN Store

Back