Bowden's shooting

VEKZY

Before anyone says I am a Bowden-hater, I believe he is a key piece on our team and brings great defensive energy and is a good passer. This thread is entirely about his shooting and what happened to it.

This year he had a sharp decline in shooting during the middle of the SEC season. See stats:

Bowden since the (home)Vandy game has been 33/143 (23%).
Bowden before the (home)Vandy game was 60/128 (47%).

Any speculation as to what has happened?

Reactions: 1 person
Before anyone says I am a Bowden-hater, I believe he is a key piece on our team and brings great defensive energy and is a good passer. This thread is entirely about his shooting and what happened to it.

This year he had a sharp decline in shooting during the middle of the SEC season. See stats:

Bowden since the (home)Vandy game has been 33/143 (23%).
Bowden before the (home)Vandy game was 60/128 (47%).

Any speculation as to what has happened?

Confidence.

Reactions: 3 people
He is a good defender/rebounder but he needs to be told not to shoot. Plain and simple, he is a liability on offense.

I think it's just confidence or maybe he changed something with his form/technique...either way, he will knock us out of NCAAT quickly if he is jacking up bricks

I think it’s a testament to our team how well we’ve done despite him going ice cold.

I’m just waiting for him to find it again. Hopefully it’s in the tournament. If he’s hitting we are an elite 8 team IMO

Reactions: 2 people
A few things I think have effected him.

1) We use him much more often on defense now, and he often guards the best shooting guards/point guards.

2) teams understand that he gains a lot of space swinging around screens which allows him to spot up and get good position.

I was a little surprised he was hunting his shot like he was late...the off dribble 3 I didn’t like especially over Knox, however the kickout was a great look late, just missed it.

Bowden has no confidence right now. He had about as bad a tournament as you can have for someone who plays as much as he does. People will tout his defense, which I think is overrated to begin with. TBH, he was pretty bad defensively against MSU and Arkansas. Today, he was better, but still awful offensively.

For the tournament, he was 3-17 and scored 13 points, had 4 rebs, 5 TOs, and 12 fouls in the three SECT games. And a couple really bad shot choices with the game in the balance today.

He is a good defender/rebounder but he needs to be told not to shoot. Plain and simple, he is a liability on offense.

I think it's just confidence or maybe he changed something with his form/technique...either way, he will knock us out of NCAAT quickly if he is jacking up bricks

For a 6-5 guy, he's not a good rebounder at all. He's not even consistently average from that standpoint.

I was a little surprised he was hunting his shot like he was late...the off dribble 3 I didn’t like especially over Knox, however the kickout was a great look late, just missed it.

His shot selection is usually good, which is what makes this stat even more weird. He has pretty good looks more times than not, but I cringe every time he shoots a 3 now.

A rod - best way I can say this. Your posting on game days is about 98% incorrect.

Reactions: 4 people
Bowden cannot afford to shoot like crap in the NCAA Tournament.

Surprised Barnes hasn’t given his minutes to someone else.

For a 6-5 guy, he's not a good rebounder at all. He's not even consistently average from that standpoint.
He rebounded well for the past two-three games, which is probably all that is in a lot of people's minds about the season.

I say keep the starters the same but I would be bringing Turner in early and often if Bowden isn’t hitting or engaged on the boards...one thing Turner does is hit the boards.

I have said ALL YEAR that Bowden SHRINKS in "Big Time" games, he acts like he is scared at times.........One other thing, Alexander and Fulkerson need to get in the WEIGHT ROOM all off season and STAY in there, they both fold like cheap tents when you get physical w/ them....When Alexander goes to the bench, all he wants to do his twist his hair...........

Last edited:

VN Store

Back