Party like its 1979

1985Vols

After we beat the Cats tomorrow, it will only be the second time ever we have beaten them 3 times in one season. The last time was in 1979 when coincidentally we beat them in the SEC Tournament finals to win the SEC Tourney. The last time we have won the tourney. This team is so much fun to watch and cheer for. Go Vols lets party like its 1979!

Reactions: 9 people
I was in high school and watched it with my granddad, who was a Kentucky fan. Little did I know how rare a feat that was.

I am trying to remember who was on that team. Reggie Johnson, Terry Crosby, Howard Wood come to mind, but I am not sure.

Reactions: 3 people
I was in high school and watched it with my granddad, who was a Kentucky fan. Little did I know how rare a feat that was.

I am trying to remember who was on that team. Reggie Johnson, Terry Crosby, Howard Wood come to mind, but I am not sure.
Bert Bertelkamp, Johnny Darden, Steve Ray, Gary Carter, Chuck Threeths, Kevin Nash. That's all from memory so I hope its correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
After we beat the Cats tomorrow, it will only be the second time ever we have beaten them 3 times in one season. The last time was in 1979 when coincidentally we beat them in the SEC Tournament finals to win the SEC Tourney. The last time we have won the tourney. This team is so much fun to watch and cheer for. Go Vols lets party like its 1979!

Are you positive that it didn't happen in the earlier era of the SEC Tournament? I think that TN won three of those early tourneys that ran from about 1933 to the 1950s.. TN best decade in history was the 1940s.

Are you positive that it didn't happen in the earlier era of the SEC Tournament? I think that TN won three of those early tourneys that ran from about 1933 to the 1950s.. TN best decade in history was the 1940s.

Update: TN beat KY in the 1941 and 1943 SECT finals, but KY only had 1 SEC regular season loss in each of those years... so no tri-vectas in either of those. But there are 17 other SECTs in the first incarnation... so 3x is still possible (but unlikely).

No. Brooks and Tyrone Beaman were freshmen around 1980-81.

Partied with Brooks back in 2004 , he came by my house with a girl that was a friend of mine.. She called me and asked if she could bring him by. I said why hell yeah... Lol.. I tried to get him off my couch to play basketball, he said his back hurt. I think he was afraid of my deadly shooting.. Lol... We were pretty messed up at the time...

I remember Chuck threeths being one of the worst free throw shooters in Tennessee history.

I was in high school and remember watching it like it was yesterday. Gary Caryer was a good player on that team as well. Reggie Johnson averaged 21 points and 8 rebounds

Reactions: 1 person
Wow... and I thought I was old. My earliest memories are of losing to Ralph Sampson and Virginia in back to back years in '81 and '82 (gave 'em a good game in '82). They're some old farts on here... I feel better now. :)

Rock' roll and party every day! :rock:

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back