BTO’s Arkansas postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Well that one was much easier to watch than yesterday, that’s for sure...both in stress level and from a pure basketball standpoint. That first half was arguably their best half of ball all year and is what makes Tennessee a wild card...play like we did yesterday and a loss in our 2nd game is possible. Play a full game like we did that first half and anything is possible for this team...they’ve had some great showings but I still am not sure we’ve seen their best ball for 40 minutes, hopefully we see that in the coming weeks.

2. Jordan Bone is such a tease...hopefully we see some more consistency from him next season with another off season under his belt, but my goodness you saw the potential that he has, those finishes at the rim are what we’ve all been begging for from him.

3. Today was so much better from Grant Williams...only took 5fga, but had 5rbd and 4ast and hit 8-9ft. When he doesn’t force things we are a much better offensive team and that showed today, he had a very nice game I thought.

4. Daniel Gafford who is a projected lottery pick in this years draft finished with 8pts 5rbd 0blks, Kyle Alexander finished with 12pts 7rbd 2blk...when Kyle is engaged we are at our best defensively and he buys us a few extra possessions on offense as well...he could really make a name for himself in this tournament.

5. After shooting our worst all year yesterday and compounding that with 17 turnovers we shot near our season best and only had 10 turnovers....for all the talk of their guards, and rightfully so, our guards were phenomenal today. Obviously Bone was at his best but we saw the Daniel from earlier this year and Turner brought what we’ve come to expect from him...those 3 combined for 40pts 14-22fg 9-14 3pt 8ast 2to.

6. With the win you have to think Tennessee locked in a trip to Nashville, a 3 seed at worst and a 2 seed very much still on the table. We are 2-0 against UK this season and haven’t won the SECT in 40 years, in short I don’t expect a W tomorrow, but boy would it be something. Regardless, gonna be great to hear our name called tomorrow and feels great to be playing for location and seeding and not for a bubble spot...what a fun year this has been, hopefully we can enjoy for a few more weeks :)

GBO!!!

Reactions: 31 people
pig-head5.jpg

Reactions: 15 people
Our sophomore-laden backcourt outplayed their senior-laden backcourt, and our posts did a great job of neutralizing Gafford inside.

And we hit our FTs today.

Reactions: 1 person
When Tennessee runs ball screens/dribble drives and kick outs , looking for cutters...this is a top ten team. Grant got his in the flow of the offense and Bone/Daniel played their best combined game of the year.

Reactions: 9 people
When Tennessee runs ball screens/dribble drives and lockouts, looking for cutters...this is a top ten team. Grant got his in the flow of the offense and Bone/Daniel played their best combined game of the year.

Yup, need to build off that...turnovers way down and shooting percentages way up, no coincidence.

Reactions: 2 people
Best half of basketball all season.

UK better rest up, because we are hitting our stride, and depth will be a concern for them more than us. Losing Vanderbilt is going to really hurt them on the boards if we continue to rebound like we have in the past two games.

A win tomorrow and a 2 seed should be locked up.

Bone played really well against Arkansas in the regular season too (and vs AU), and I think it is evident that his game is best suited to the faster pace of games played in the 80s.

Last time we beat UK 3x in a season was 1979, IIRC. Also the last time we won the SECT. I was born later that year. I really want to accomplish both again in my lifetime, and doing it all at the same time would be epic.

Reactions: 8 people
Is '79 the last time we played UK in the final? I know our last final appearance we choked against State.

This game showed how different our offense looks when we move the ball compared to iso with Williams. Today was one of the best offensive games in a long time.

Reactions: 2 people
speaking of the NCAA tourney...
There are going to be some very, very good teams this year that are seeded #14, #15, #16....hopefully they will not be seeded in our bracket....I look for a lot of upsets early this year..alot

Within last 24 hrs, watched or heard:

TN baseball beat Cincy in extras,

TN softball grand slam walkoff win

TN beats MSU @ SECT

TN softball shuts out Missou 7-0

TN baseball beats Cincy 7-2

TN drubs Ark @ SECT, sets up title game w/KY

heh Best stay-at-home sinus infection ever. I SAY IT'S GREAT...TO BE...

Reactions: 20 people
Solid game all the way around and Bone had a sensational first half to easily be the player of the game and tomorrow will be a chance to add another title to the 2018 mantel.

I was hard on Grant Williams in the game thread, looking at his stats I might have went overboard on my criticism.

TN beats MSU @ SECT

Gregg’s slam wasn’t a walkoff. They were up 3-2 when she hit it.

TN beats MSU @ SECT

Good stuff.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back