How many times has Tennessee played in the SECT semifinals?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Anyone know the exact number offhand? I know it's not many.

Anyone know the exact number offhand? I know it's not many.

At least 5 times in the modern (1979-present) era:

1) 1979, won the tournament.
2) Wade Houston (1991), made the finals.
3) 2008 Atlanta tornado, lost to Ark in the semis.
4) TN was in the 2009 final, lost to MSU.
5) 2014 semi-final loss

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
There were 19x SECT's BEFORE 1979. TN was in 7 finals. They were most likely in the semis of the other 12 tournaments half the time or more.

I guess my question was more referring to since the tournament was reinstated.

Reactions: 1 person
Not what I asked but here are all the championship game appearances

2009 Mississippi State
1991 Alabama
1979 Kentucky
------------------
1950 Kentucky
1945 Kentucky
1943 Kentucky
1941 Kentucky
1939 Kentucky
1937 Kentucky
1936 Alabama

How the hell did the 91 team make it to the Finals?

How’s about this, in 1979 Kyle Macy for UK won the MVP tournament even though UT won while Allan Houston won the 1991 MVP despite UT losing

Allan Houston. There's a reason that his number is in the rafters at the TBA despite the fact that he never played in an NCAAT game.

Yep, & Allan was such a talent that other Vols seemed to watch him. Wade Houston set the program back for sure, but his son was amazing. Thunder, you're a great source. :hi:

How’s about this, in 1979 Kyle Macy for UK won the MVP tournament even though UT won while Allan Houston won the 1991 MVP despite UT losing

I have a feeling Sexton will do the same this year even if they don’t win the SECT. He’s been the MVP so far.

Allan Houston. There's a reason that his number is in the rafters at the TBA despite the fact that he never played in an NCAAT game.
i will never forget that ! I was 13... that team was atrocious , bless their hearts 😂.

Caught fire for a brief minute though . In addition to Houston some of the other household names were guys like carlus groves, steve rivers , Gannon Goodson. ... Bama was kind of a force to be reckoned with as far as the SEC was concerned back in those days. Wimp Sanderson had a pretty solid program going, before he decided IT would be a good thing to not only bang but also backhand his secretary! Sorry for the “cool story brah” rambling. This victory has me feeling nostalgic 😂

How the hell did the 91 team make it to the Finals?

It didn't hurt that Kentucky was sitting at home not allowed to participate in the tournament that season due to NCAA sanctions. Also, the tournament was in Nashville. Every game was like a home game for us due to overwhelming fan support.

Unfortunately, it all eventually caught up to us because we had to play one more game than everyone else. We played Ole Miss in a single game first round (only nine teams in the tournament). IIRC, we beat MSU, and Ga. Next before losing to Bama in the finals. Just too many games to play in a row.

VN Store

Back