Tennessee v Arkansas, SECT semi-final: game thread

Thunder Good-Oil

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown High School Summary

Jaylen Barford 0 SR G 6-3 202 Jackson, TN South Side High School 17.9 Pts, 3.9 Reb, 2.7 Ast

Daryl Macon 4 SR G 6-3 185 Little Rock, AR Parkview Arts and Science Magnet High School 17.0 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 4.0 Ast

Daniel Gafford 10 FR F 6-11 234 El Dorado, AR 11.9 Pts, 6.1 Reb, 0.7 Ast

Anton Beard 31 SR G 6-0 195 North Little Rock, AR North Little Rock HS 9.5 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 3.1 Ast

C.J. Jones 23 SO G 6-5 175 Birmingham, AL Central Park Christian High School 6.8 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast

Darious Hall 20 FR F 6-6 210 Little Rock, AR 4.9 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 0.5 Ast

Dustin Thomas 13 SR F 6-7 225 Texarkana, TX Pleasant Grove 5.0 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 1.0 Ast

Adrio Bailey 2 SO F 6-6 204 Campti, LA Lakeview High School 4.2 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 0.6 Ast

Trey Thompson 1 SR F 6-9 270 Madison, AR Forrest City HS 3.5 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 1.6 Ast

Arlando Cook 5 F 6-8 215 St. Louis, MO College Preparatory High School at Madison 1.6 Pts, 1.7 Reb, 0.4 Ast

Gabe Osabuohien 22 FR F 6-8 219 Canada 1.3 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 0.4 Ast

Jonathan Holmes 15 SO G 5-10 190 Columbia, IL Antonian College Preparatory High School 1.4 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.1 Ast

Jt Plummer G 6-1 185 0.0 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Khalil Garland 3 G 6-5 198
Jalen Harris 11 G 6-2 164 Wilson, NC Word of God Christian Academy

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
University of Tennessee Athletics

Game notes - utsports.com:

THE SERIES:
• Overall: Arkansas leads, 20-19
• In Knoxville: UT leads, 11-4
• In Fayetteville: UA leads, 10-4
• Neutral Sites: UA leads, 6-4
• Current Streak: Arkansas has won six straight
• Last Meeting: UA won, 95-93, in OT in Fayetteville, 12/30/17
• Rick Barnes vs. Arkansas: 3-5
• Rick Barnes vs. Mike Anderson: Anderson leads, 7-2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIGHT NOW:
• Tennessee enters Saturday's SEC Tournament semifinals riding a league-best, five-game win streak during which the Vols are allowing only 59.2 points per game while boasting a +8.6 scoring margin.
• Tennessee pulled down a season-high 22 offensive rebounds and was +17 on the glass Friday vs. Mississippi State.
• The Vols are rated No. 10 in the NCAA's RPI. Arkansas is No. 29.
• SEC Co-Player of the Week Admiral Schofield is averaging 20.2 points and 6.6 during UT's five-game win streak.
• KenPom.com rates Tennessee's strength-of-schedule eighth nationally.
A WIN WOULD:
• Extend Tennessee's win streak to six games.
• Keep the Vols undefeated in rematch games this season. Tennessee is 6-0 in such games.
• Put Tennessee in the SEC Tournament title game for the first time since 2009.
• Make this Tennessee squad one of just four teams ever to reach the 25-win mark. This is the 109th season of Tennessee basketball.
THE LAST MEETING WITH ARKANSAS
• After a late surge by Arkansas, No. 19 Tennessee came up short in overtime, 95-93, at Bud Walton Arena on Dec. 30, 2017.
• With a 68-61 edge in the final four minutes of the second half, the Razorbacks (11-2, 1-0 SEC) stormed back into the game behind a 12-2 run to take their first lead of the contest. Down by one with 18 seconds remaining, Tennessee's Jordan Bone drew a foul and tied the game at 73-73 to force overtime.
• Arkansas had all the momentum going into overtime and pulled away early on in the extra period with a 16-5 run. The Vols (9-3, 0-1 SEC) clawed back to make it a two-point game with eight seconds left behind back-to-back 3-pointers by Lamonté Turner, but it wasn't enough. The teams combined to score 42 total points in the five-minute overtime period.
TENNESSEE vs. ARKANSAS IN THE SEC TOURNAMENT
• Tennessee is 3-3 all-time against Arkansas at the SEC Tournament.
• The most recent meeting was an 80-72 Arkansas victory at the 2015 tournament in Nashville. UT was the No. 10 seed, and the Razorbacks were the No. 2 seed.
• Saturday's clash marks the third meeting since 2011 for Vols and Razorbacks in the SEC Tournament.
24 WINS AND COUNTING:
• This is one of only six Tennessee teams to win at least 24 games in a single season (see chart below).
• Tennessee has logged its 26th all-time 20-win season and its first since 2013-14, when the Vols finished with 24 victories and advanced to their seventh Sweet Sixteen.
• Tennessee also recorded 23 regular-season victories for the first time since 2009-10 (23).
• In 31 seasons as a Division I head coach, Rick Barnes has now led his teams to 20 or more wins 21 times.

RANK SEASON RECORD POSTSEASON
1 2007-08 31-5 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2 2009-10 28-9 NCAA Elite Eight
3 1999-2000 26-7 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
4 2006-07 24-11 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
5 2013-14 24-13 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
6 2017-18 24-7 TBD

HOOPS CENTRAL: #2 Tennessee vs. #6 Arkansas - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
UT needs Alexander to score at least 10 to 15 points tomorrow and hold his own against Gafford without fouling and cut down on the turnovers and rebound again like they did against Mississippi State in order to avenge an earlier loss at Arkansas.

Whoever guards Barford tomorrow, better be ready to play grown man defense. That's the key, imo. Plus, it can't hurt that it will be the Hogs, 3rd game in 3 days

Reactions: 5 people
Last edited:
TN has played mostly slow paced games since opening the SEC schedule 0-2 versus Arkansas and Auburn. This will be interesting to see if TN is able to make it another defensive struggle or if they will run with Arkansas. I can't imagine Barnes giving the green light to speed the game up UNLESS Arkansas playing in their 3rd consecutive day is an advantage for TN playing in their 2nd. Plus... TN will have had a couple more hours to rest/recover from the Friday games.

Reactions: 2 people
Barnes has said that TN's defense starts on the offensive end (not allowing opponents to score easily on fast breaks). I expect the same game plan from CRB. Intense defensive struggles can wear teams down as much as coast-to-coast, 94' high scoring games.

Walker only played 6 minutes in the first game. I'd expect to see more of him.

TN has played mostly slow paced games since opening the SEC schedule 0-2 versus Arkansas and Auburn. This will be interesting to see if TN is able to make it another defensive struggle or if they will run with Arkansas. I can't imagine Barnes giving the green light to speed the game up UNLESS Arkansas playing in their 3rd consecutive day is an advantage for TN playing in their 2nd. Plus... TN will have had a couple more hours to rest/recover from the Friday games.

Tennessee shouldn’t try to run on anyone. Even Montana or whoever we play in the first round

Reactions: 1 person
Barnes has said that TN's defense starts on the offensive end (not allowing opponents to score easily on fast breaks). I expect the same game plan from CRB. Intense defensive struggles can wear teams down as much as coast-to-coast, 94' high scoring games.

Walker only played 6 minutes in the first game. I'd expect to see more of him.

New too

Damn I hate Arkansas. Seems like they have our number.

I don't have a good feeling about todays game. Arkansas is another team like Bama that we just don't match up with very well. If our guards don't play well , both offensively and defensively, we could get run out of the gym. With that said, I think we will be a 3 seed regardless of today's outcome.

I don't have a good feeling about todays game. Arkansas is another team like Bama that we just don't match up with very well. If our guards don't play well , both offensively and defensively, we could get run out of the gym. With that said, I think we will be a 3 seed regardless of today's outcome.

We match up much better with Arkansas than Bama. While Macon and Barford are good, they weren't 5 star elite guards. We need to play our game and push Gafford around.

How much do you think it will affect Arkansas it being their 3rd game in 3 days, and the fact that they played in the late game last night and have to turn around and play at 3 today.

Arky is hot and getting hotter. They were cooking last night.

The Vols played off their game after Weatherspoon went down as evidenced by missing 11 of 28 FT for 39.3% which is only 1.4% above half their 75.8% season average at the stripe. So, yeah, a very off night for the Vols who were able to hang on for the win anyway.

The Hogs don't care. Here piggy pig pig.

We match up much better with Arkansas than Bama. While Macon and Barford are good, they weren't 5 star elite guards. We need to play our game and push Gafford around.

I disagree. They combined for 61 points against us in January. Not sure we have the guards to slow them down. We'll see.....

If the Tn team we seen last night shows up today , Ark will steam roll this team. Turner is all Tn has that can hit shots from the guard position.

VN Store

Back