BTO’s Mississippi State postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Survive and advance baby...that was such an ugly game from Tennessee, one of our worst efforts in recent memory, but we found a way to get the win and that is all that matters. Not sure if it was the long lay off or what, but we just did not have a very good night, somehow still got the W though.

2. This teams Achilles all year has been rebounding, they’ve not been able to hit the boards and most of us had given up on it improving...how did Tennessee win this game? Rebounding, go figure. We out rebounded them 50-33 and had 22 offensive rebounds that is why we won. The good news is that if we play to our ability and rebound that way we are gonna win a lot of games, the bad news is that we needed that effort to have a chance to win.

3. Lamonte Turner was a huge...Schofield and Williams couldn’t get anything going inside, Turner hit some shots, had a couple nice drives, some hustle plays and also chipped in 8 rebounds from his guard position. Great effort from him on both ends tonight, it’s been awesome watching his transformation to such a complete player.

4. The bad: 17 turnovers and only 11 assists, 33%fg 25%3pt and 61%ft...without looking I’m gonna say that’s our worst offensive performance of the season and probably not really even close. Some of the turnovers were just dumb and unforced, some were on our bigs, Grant really struggled tonight against their length, one of his worst games as a Vol. The good: the defense...we held them to 35%fg and 24%3pt, we don’t win that game without locking down defensively....hopefully the layoff and new building were to blame for the offensive woes.

5. Vols won and are on to the semi-finals to play either Arkansas or Florida...however the bigger picture is what impact did tonight have on NCAAT seed? I am of the opinion that with the win we solidify our spot ahead of Michigan, Michigan State and Auburn...meaning there is a very good chance that we will be playing our opening game in Nashville. No don’t go run and buy your ticket, but that win should’ve locked us into a 3 seed and as I said imo makes Nashville very likely.

Ps: hoping the kid from State is alright, scary stuff, thoughts and prayers.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
Hate when we run isos for Grant as our main focus on offense. We are so much better when we run ball screens and attack off the drive

Reactions: 11 people
Wire to wire nail biter. Hope the best for the Wspoon brother.

I ran and bought my tickets in January!

Reactions: 1 person
Both Vols and Bulldogs gave great effort but neither could get in any kind of offensive rythem just a slug fest.

Hate when we run isos for Grant as our main focus on offense. We are so much better when we run ball screens and attack off the drive

Yup...against some teams it can be effective, but against teams like State with that kind of length and swarming him so he can’t even drive and is forced to go up and over it’s just not smart. He had to have had 3-4 of his shots blocked, plus had 3-4 turnovers, and also missed 9 shots...sometimes going to him is not our best offense, I’ve been preaching it for months.

Reactions: 2 people

I'd love to see more dribble drive kickouts. Bone is quick enough. I think Daniels and Schofield could too. They rely too much on grant and he rarely passes

Given our lack of recent success in the SEC tournament, I am happy with a W at this point. Granted we will have to play better tomorrow and hopefully Sunday, but we are still playing which is all that matters now.

The offensive rebounds were nice, but we sure did miss a lot of close shots. I love to win, but dayum, we won't win tomorrow if we play like that. GBO!

Yup...against some teams it can be effective, but against teams like State with that kind of length and swarming him so he can’t even drive and is forced to go up and over it’s just not smart. He had to have had 3-4 of his shots blocked, plus had 3-4 turnovers, and also missed 9 shots...sometimes going to him is not our best offense, I’ve been preaching it for months.
If Grant can get that little 8-12 foot fall away going it would help

Sometimes you gotta have a little luck. If that last shot rebound doesn't go long, MSU has an easy put back. Missed on the box out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was definitely not Grant's game. (He was also getting mugged and refs didn't call it)

They said the kid who got hurt is talking and moving his toes. Thank God.

Reactions: 5 people

Our biggest lead to 9 was pushed while he was on the bench. Sometimes it’s just not your night especially in this type of matchup.

I'd love to see more dribble drive kickouts. Bone is quick enough. I think Daniels and Schofield could too. They rely too much on grant and he rarely passes

This. If Bone would only realize how good he could be if he used his quickness to penetrate and dish. Grant has become a little bit of a ball hog and needs to share it when teams double and triple down on him. Hopefully we shoot better , both from the field and FT line. If not, our postseason will not last very long.

I think it's because Barnes doesn't want to change the "routine" of their usual offense. Plus, I think it's a way to "settle" down our guards. There were definite times when our guards got crazy and commit too many sloppy turnovers.

I don't understand what the problem is with Grant. Just feels like he hasn't had a good game in several weeks. We really need him to get back into it.

VN Store

Back