Tennessee v Miss State SECT game thread 7:00 p.m.

Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown High School Summary

Quinndary Weatherspoon 11 JR G 6-4 190 Canton, MS Velma Jackson HS 14.7 Pts, 5.9 Reb, 3.5 Ast

Nick Weatherspoon 0 FR G 6-2 195 Canton, MS 11.1 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 2.1 Ast

Aric Holman 35 JR F 6-10 195 Owensboro, KY Owensboro HS 10.7 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 0.7 Ast

Tyson Carter 23 SO G 6-4 167 Starkville, MS Starkville High School 8.7 Pts, 1.9 Reb, 1.4 Ast

Lamar Peters 1 SO G 6-0 188 New Orleans, LA L.B. Landry High School 9.2 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 4.0 Ast

Abdul Ado 24 FR F 6-11 246 Chattanooga, TN 7.9 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast

Xavian Stapleton 3 JR G 6-6 190 Flora, MS Madison Central 6.3 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 0.6 Ast

Eli Wright 2 SO G 6-4 203 Owensboro, KY Apollo High School 3.4 Pts, 2.3 Reb, 1.0 Ast

E.J. Datcher 45 SO C 6-9 240 Vincent, AL Vincent High School 2.4 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 0.1 Ast

KeyShawn Feazell 22 FR F 6-8 230 Newhebron, MS 1.5 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Nick Singleton 13 JR G 6-5 195 Decatur, GA 2.8 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.1 Ast

Schnider Herard 34 SO C 6-10 250 Plano, TX Prestonwood Christian Academy 1.0 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Drew Davis 12 SR G 5-10 172 Atlanta, GA Fort Walton Beach High School 0.4 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.3 Ast

T.J. Gray 15 SO G 5-9 160 Columbus, MS 0.8 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Tate Clayton 10 FR G 6-2 170 Tupelo, MS 0.0 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Mitchell Storm 5 SO F 6-7 202 Madison, MS 0.0 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.0 Ast

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
HOOPS CENTRAL: #2 Tennessee vs. #7 Mississippi State - University of Tennessee Athletics

University of Tennessee Athletics

THE MISSISSIPPI STATE SERIES
• Overall: UT leads, 82-43
• In Knoxville: UT leads, 45-11
• In Starkville: UT leads, 30-28
• Neutral Sites: UT leads, 7-4
• Current Streak: Tennessee has won one
• Last Meeting: UT won, 76-54, in Starkville, 2/27/18
• Rick Barnes vs. Mississippi State: 6-1
• Rick Barnes vs. Ben Howland: Barnes leads, 6-2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A WIN WOULD:
• Extend Tennessee's win streak to five games.
• Keep the Vols undefeated in rematch games this season. Tennessee is 5-0 in such games.
• Put Tennessee in the SEC Tournament semifinals for the first time since 2014.
• Stand as Tennessee's 11th win away from home this season, bolstering an already-impressive line on its NCAA Tournament résumé.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RIGHT NOW:
• Tennessee enters the SEC Tournament riding a league-best, four-game win streak during which the Vols are allowing only 59.2 points per game while boasting a +10.0 scoring margin.
• In Tennessee's most recent game—a 66-61 home win over Georgia last Saturday—the Vols held the Bulldogs to just three points in the final 8:29 of regulation. And UGA was scoreless over the last 3:10.
• In their last two games, Tennessee has twice held opponents to 20 or fewer points in a half. Mississippi State managed just 20 points in the second half on Feb. 27, and Georgia was held to 19 second-half points in the regular-season finale March 3.
• Tennessee allowed 65 or fewer points in 12 of its 18 SEC games this season. The Vols won 11 of those games, with the lone loss coming at Missouri, 59-55.
• The Vols played a home-and-home series against five SEC teams this season: Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Georgia. Prior to the season, Rick Barnes stressed the importance of those games to his coaching staff and said the Vols needed to go 8-2 in those contests. Tennessee was better than that—it went 9-1.
• Picked to finish 13th in the SEC during the preseason, Tennessee enters the SEC Tournament as the SEC Champion and ranked 13th in the AP top 25 poll.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
What a draw... This should be a cake walk!!!!

I do like the draw. It is/was good to have Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Tx A&M, Missouri, and KY on the other side of the bracket.

Beating MSU, FL, and KY back-to-back-to-back isn't impossible. Any could easily be a loss, but it's good to have a bit of a challenge. I like that we are able to go 12 deep in the rotation. That's important if TN were to make it to Sunday and have to play 3 straight days.

Not a cake walk IMO, but doable.

If I was betting I'd probably put it on KY. I don't think that Auburn has enough depth. The Florida coach doesn't scare me.

I don't want to see Alabama if TN gets to the final. Really rather play Florida instead of Arkansas if TN can get by MSU.

Reactions: 2 people
MSU came out smoking hot vs. LSU yesterday but cooled off in the second half and the Tigers made a game of it. Glad the game went down to the wire so MSU couldn't rest their starters. Hopefully we will be able to take advantage of that, especially in the second half. I expect MSU to get off to a fast start since they have already played a game but I think our defense will take over and we win by 8-10 points.

What a draw... This should be a cake walk!!!!

What??
Good grief. MSU is more talented team on paper. The SEC seems to be a league of talented rosters that have under performed. That can change at any momebt. I hope and pray the team doesn't have this attitude.

I'm torn on this one. We have, what I consider, the "real" championship" and that's the regular season title. Just not sure the SECT is that important. Personally, I'd really watch the minutes and a loss won't bother me at all. I'm more concerned about getting rested and ready for the NCAA tourney. Just please, please basketball gods....spare us any injuries!

Reactions: 6 people
They'll be playing with their pants on fire. They hit 3's early yesterday. If they can't get those to fall we win..

They'll be playing with their pants on fire. They hit 3's early yesterday. If they can't get those to fall we win..

The narrative will be that they want revenge for us ruining their senior night.
And, more importantly, the announcers will be saying they are playing fir an NCAA bid.

if the game is called by Sean Farnham we'll be hearing a lot about why Maten should have been player of the year instead of Williams and and even Fox CoY.
Quite tiresome in last game I heard him call. Took it to the point of insulting.

The bad teams have been eliminated. Nothing is a cakewalk going forward in this tournament.

I'm torn on this one. We have, what I consider, the "real" championship" and that's the regular season title. Just not sure the SECT is that important. Personally, I'd really watch the minutes and a loss won't bother me at all. I'm more concerned about getting rested and ready for the NCAA tourney. Just please, please basketball gods....spare us any injuries!

Sorry, I want it all ! Share of regular season title along with tournament title would be sweet ! 7 days rest now - they should be ready for NCAA after this tournament with another 3-4 days rest - hope for a Friday game.

Just keep winning, baby !

MSU was on fire out of the gate 7 of 8 from 3 and something insane like 69% from the floor for the first half. The Vols need to play hard defense from the jump. Tennessee is a better basketball team but as Barnes has said a hundred times this team isn't good enough to win without playing hard, especially on D.

I think this is a gonna be a tough game. gonna come down to 1 or 2 possessions. i dont have a good feeling, but i am hopeful! Tennessee has been playing lights out the last few weeks

Go Big Orange !!!

Grant, Admiral, Bone and Turner are going to carry us.

Go Vols!!!

If we lose I’m blaming yankee for not starting th game thread, jk, but not really!

We play a State team that once again is playing for a tournament spot, must win game for them, except this time it’s not at their place. They shot the ball very well yesterday from outside which isn’t something they typically do, and if they do that again we could be in trouble. Last time we played them we changed our defense to give them those 3’s, they held to their season percentages and didn’t shoot very well, but if they shoot like they did yesterday they are a tough team to beat.

if the game is called by Sean Farnham we'll be hearing a lot about why Maten should have been player of the year instead of Williams and and even Fox CoY.
Quite tiresome in last game I heard him call. Took it to the point of insulting.

I actually like Farnham. He shows Grant some love too

VN Store

Back