Best cities for college basketball fans? Knoxville ranks 221 out of 289

What a garbage list.

And once again, we're supposed to believe we're the 13th best basketball city in the SEC, just ahead of Columbia, MO? You gotta be kidding me.

Reactions: 4 people
Seems fairly accurate IMO. There are maybe like ~20 of us die-hard bball fans here on VN. Compare that to the equivalent football fans. It sucks to be a bball fan in Knoxville.

There's no way I believe we're worse off than places like Alabama and Auburn.

Reactions: 2 people
There's no way I believe we're worse off than places like Alabama and Auburn.

I wouldn't know, so my opinion isn't necessarily the best one. I do know what it's like in Knoxville though. Considering that the basketball program has been significantly better than football for over a decade, the relative attention it gets from UT fans and local media is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: 5 people
Seems fairly accurate IMO. There are maybe like ~20 of us die-hard bball fans here on VN. Compare that to the equivalent football fans. It sucks to be a bball fan in Knoxville.

I'm not saying we belong in the top-10, but bottom third? Come on, I don't buy that for a minute. And look at the criteria...it just seems like a hodgepodge of information that really doesn't tell a story. It seems similar to me accumulating the stats on car sales, home refinances, tulip growth population, and celebrities per capita and then use it to try to rank the safest cities in America to drive in.

The panel of "experts" included someone from UK, IU, Philly, and Charlotte. The "criteria" (and I will use that lightly) has been weighed so those cities do well. For example, attendance/capacity is weighed 4x as less than having a HOF coach. If UT hired Larry Brown tomorrow (a HOF coach), that doesn't make Knoxville 4x better a hoops city.

Reactions: 1 person
Based on their methodology, it makes sense. If you're just a general college basketball fan living in Knoxville, you're only stuck with 1 option, and one that has not been very good over the last three years and has taken a back seat to football in terms of fan engagement.

But I agree. It's a stupid list. Pointless exercise.

I'm not saying we belong in the top-10, but bottom third? Come on, I don't buy that for a minute. And look at the criteria...it just seems like a hodgepodge of information that really doesn't tell a story. It seems similar to me accumulating the stats on car sales, home refinances, tulip growth population, and celebrities per capita and then use it to try to rank the safest cities in America to drive in.

Number of teams per city? WTF? I mean, of course Philly is going to be at the top but so what? And social media engagement? That's hysterical. Western Carolina's town is 15? What the f*** ever!

These things are all the same. Made up criteria to create a click bait story. I didn't even open it. Did you have to click through several pages to finish reading the story?

There was one of these the other day "Tennessee is the angriest state" and I would just about bet I can find a story on the internet saying we are the happiest state.

They are just made up bs articles meant to get clicks and shares on facebook.

Based on their methodology, it makes sense. If you're just a general college basketball fan living in Knoxville, you're only stuck with 1 option, and one that has not been very good over the last three years and has taken a back seat to football in terms of fan engagement.

But I agree. It's a stupid list. Pointless exercise.

How many options are there in Cullowhee, NC (population 9,428)? They are #15? Seriously?

I wouldn't know, so my opinion isn't necessarily the best one. I do know what it's like in Knoxville though. Considering that the basketball program has been significantly better than football for over a decade, the relative attention it gets from UT fans and local media is pretty pathetic.

The only two people in media who really care about Tennessee Basketball are Wes Rucker and Grant Ramey.

These things are all the same. Made up criteria to create a click bait story. I didn't even open it. Did you have to click through several pages to finish reading the story?

There was one of these the other day "Tennessee is the angriest state" and I would just about bet I can find a story on the internet saying we are the happiest state.

They are just made up bs articles meant to get clicks and shares on facebook.

Exactly. Like I said, manufactured stat.

I kind of disagree. There are north of 16,000 regular fans attending games, the vast majority of whom don't post on VN. Polls like this one are BS, generally, and Knoxville is very obviously a much better basketball town than represented.

I think the very low number of regular posters on VN basketball is much more related to the negativity and lack of civility that permeated the basketball forums in recent years. The posts got repetitious, obnoxious and, frankly, boring and people stopped paying attention. Nobody ---err, most people---don't like hanging out with Negative Ned or Nelly.

I am glad that the "regulars" on this site have largely made it fun and interesting to visit again. I just dread the last loss of the season because the drive-bys will be back to hammer home the point that RB is too old to coach and walking through a fog of semi-retirement and the players just aren't good enough to have success in the SEC. :crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
Imagine how mad Mizzou is at being so low. They have a pretty decent basketball tradition.

I kind of disagree. There are north of 16,000 regular fans attending games, the vast majority of whom don't post on VN. Polls like this one are BS, generally, and Knoxville is very obviously a much better basketball town than represented.

I think the very low number of regular posters on VN basketball is much more related to the negativity and lack of civility that permeated the basketball forums in recent years. The posts got repetitious, obnoxious and, frankly, boring and people stopped paying attention. Nobody ---err, most people---don't like hanging out with Negative Ned or Nelly.

I am glad that the "regulars" on this site have largely made it fun and interesting to visit again. I just dread the last loss of the season because the drive-bys will be back to hammer home the point that RB is too old to coach and walking through a fog of semi-retirement and the players just aren't good enough to have success in the SEC. :crazy:

Good post. Your description of the BB forum is accurate for the time I joined VN. Hard to believe that has been 8-10 years ago, now.

Now, I think there is a higher level of civility and welcoming for new posters who aren't here to unnecessarily and repeatedly flame the coach and program.

Reactions: 4 people
So explain to me why then are we continuously ranked in the top 10 annually for basketball game attendance if Knoxville is such a bad basketball city?

Something doesn't add up, other than ESPN hates us!!:loco:

How many options are there in Cullowhee, NC (population 9,428)? They are #15? Seriously?

Yeah, it's not very well groomed. Based on the criteria which seems very arbitrary, there are probably going to be some outliers...

Same coach for 10 years... won a couple conference championships... stadium that holds pretty much the entire population of the town... I'm sure tickets are basically free.

And their social media engagement is probably skewed due to a viral video..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MW5tkTWtQ[/youtube]

Imagine how mad Mizzou is at being so low. They have a pretty decent basketball tradition.

It was a tough ticket to get when Norm Stewart was the coach and they were battling with Kansas every year. There has been no stability and constant scandals ever since.

This list is complete BS. Are we top 25 or maybe even top 50? Doubt it honestly but 221st?? Get real.

VN Store

Back