Vegas says ....

Doesn’t make much sense that a projected 6 seed has the same odds as a projected 2 seed...

Reactions: 1 person
Michigan, Florida, and Arizona are overrated. Cincinnati underrated

It depends on whether Florida can play consistently in the tournament. Plus Florida beat Cincinnati at a neutral site. So if you think Cinci and their current position is underrated, you have to give some credit to UF for their entire season.

Also, Florida is I believe tied for third in Quadrant 1 wins, with 9. Behind only North Carolina and Kansas. Auburn has 7. UT has 5.

Taking the entire season put together, it would appear that UF is underrated, if anything.

If they have a bad game, they could be out in the first round. If they play like they have the last three games, they can make a deep run.

Interested to see if almost 2 weeks off positively or negatively affects Big 10 teams.

Interested to see if almost 2 weeks off positively or negatively affects Big 10 teams.

This has been a topic of conversation a lot on the college sports XM station and it dovetailed nicely into the topic of whether having a bye in your conference tournament helps or hurts.

A coach on that channel, can't remember who, said in his view that having the bye hurts you in the short run. The team you are playing played yesterday and has their legs underneath them. If you can get by that first game after the bye, however, it helps you because by the third night having the extra rest matters.

So translating that to the Big Ten, it would seem that if they can win their first round games in the tournament and get a flow going again, it will help a bit with fatigue in the second round. But it may cause problems with that first game out of the gate.

I don't think it makes sense to have odds before you even have a bracket, but I don't doubt people will make bets on this.

Reactions: 2 people
It depends on whether Florida can play consistently in the tournament. Plus Florida beat Cincinnati at a neutral site. So if you think Cinci and their current position is underrated, you have to give some credit to UF for their entire season.

Also, Florida is I believe tied for third in Quadrant 1 wins, with 9. Behind only North Carolina and Kansas. Auburn has 7. UT has 5.

Taking the entire season put together, it would appear that UF is underrated, if anything.

If they have a bad game, they could be out in the first round. If they play like they have the last three games, they can make a deep run.

UF is trash.

Reactions: 9 people

That's one of the reasons they're overrated. To win the championship, you have to play well in 6 straight games, let a lone win them. UF has started to be more consistent over the last month, but in that time, they still have losses at home to UGA and at Vandy...

Also, from a seeding standpoint alone they're at a meaningful disadvantage. Their quadrant record should help seeding, but I don't think that UF is so much better than the other teams, especially Cincy, to overcompensate from that.

This has been a topic of conversation a lot on the college sports XM station and it dovetailed nicely into the topic of whether having a bye in your conference tournament helps or hurts.

A coach on that channel, can't remember who, said in his view that having the bye hurts you in the short run. The team you are playing played yesterday and has their legs underneath them. If you can get by that first game after the bye, however, it helps you because by the third night having the extra rest matters.

So translating that to the Big Ten, it would seem that if they can win their first round games in the tournament and get a flow going again, it will help a bit with fatigue in the second round. But it may cause problems with that first game out of the gate.

interesting take. Probably only has an affect on the first weekend for sure. By the second weekend it is probably irrelevant.

I definitely think there's a slight boost to a team w 1 game under their belt vs a team coming off 1 week of rest - particularly on a neutral court. I think we're seeing that today w NC State and BC.

Every year since they expanded the field at least 1 play-in winner has made the "3rd round". Several have made the S16 and VCU made the Final 4

That's one of the reasons they're overrated. To win the championship, you have to play well in 6 straight games, let a lone win them. UF has started to be more consistent over the last month, but in that time, they still have losses at home to UGA and at Vandy...

Also, from a seeding standpoint alone they're at a meaningful disadvantage. Their quadrant record should help seeding, but I don't think that UF is so much better than the other teams, especially Cincy, to overcompensate from that.

Put it this way, I don't think that if you held the tournament 20 times they would win it once. More like once in every 50. I mean, I think they SHOULD win Round 1 and have a decent shot at winning round 2 (I say that without knowing the opponents, but just generally). But winning against a S16 team? Then an E 8 team? And then two more games against a Villanova or someone? Nah.

So in that respect 20/1 is a bad bet.

As to UT, honestly, as a general proposition I'd say their odds to get to the S 16 are better because they are likely going to be a higher seed such that their competition in Rounds 1 and 2 is weaker than UF will see. So their odds of getting to the second weekend are at least slightly better.

But getting past Rounds 3 and 4? Beyond? No, I would put them in the same group as UF. And that would include teams like Kentucky, maybe second tier or middle teams from the Big 12. Wichita State, Cinci. I'd put all those teams in that group.

Without knowing your opponents, to get to the second weekend, I'd make you a bigger favorite than UF, like you at 8/5, UF at 3/1, maybe 4/1 because of the consistency issue.

But to win the whole thing, the real odds are probably just about the same for both UF and UT. Long.

Really?

Reactions: 2 people
Got the Vols +4000 to win it all. $22 to collect 902.00 if the Vols win, which the Vols are going to do.

GO VOLS!

Yes, but again they are inconsistent and that's why at 20 to 1 they are a terrible bet.

Good luck today, by the way.

When UF is hot, they can beat anybody in the country.

When they’re cold, they can lose to anybody in the country.

Thanks for the support by the way.

When UF is hot, they can beat anybody in the country.

When they’re cold, they can lose to anybody in the country.

Thanks for the support by the way.

On UF, that is exactly right. As a 6 seed they are going to make a 3 seed quite nervous about their chances at S16.

At the same time, they will give a play in game winner reason for hope, lol !!

I can see Florida making a S16 or even an Elite 8. But I can’t see them stringing enough games together to win the championship.

VN Store

Back