Tennessee as a basketball state

TennesseeRhett

I mentioned this years ago when I was a student at UT (04-08), but I am often surprised at how many teams from our state make the tourney. In addition to UT, you often see Belmont, Vandy, Memphis, Austin Peay, Lipscomb, ETSU and MTSU make the dance, to say nothing of the women’s teams. I believe my senior year there were 6 teams from our state in the men’s tournament, which was tied with california and indiana for the most that year. Yet you never hear about basketball in Tennessee the way you do in other states, but our borders host many strong and proud programs, and that’s pretty cool. I bleed orange and always wish for UT success above all else, but as a Tennessean I really do enjoy seeing all programs from the state do well.

Reactions: 10 people
I mentioned this years ago when I was a student at UT (04-08), but I am often surprised at how many teams from our state make the tourney. In addition to UT, you often see Belmont, Vandy, Memphis, Austin Peay, Lipscomb, ETSU and MTSU make the dance, to say nothing of the women’s teams. I believe my senior year there were 6 teams from our state in the men’s tournament, which was tied with california and indiana for the most that year. Yet you never hear about basketball in Tennessee the way you do in other states, but our borders host many strong and proud programs, and that’s pretty cool. I bleed orange and always wish for UT success above all else, but as a Tennessean I really do enjoy seeing all programs from the state do well.

I've posted before that I'd like to see an early season tournament with 8 of the state's teams. Volunteer Classic would be a good name for it... Vandy and Tiger High might object though.

The baseball team had 3 other state teams in town this weekend for the Tri-Star Classic.

IMO having other strong basketball teams in-state isn't a threat and in fact helps all of the programs by promoting the sport.

Reactions: 2 people
I've posted before that I'd like to see an early season tournament with 8 of the state's teams. Volunteer Classic would be a good name for it... Vandy and Tiger High might object though.

The baseball team had 3 other state teams in town this weekend for the Tri-Star Classic.

IMO having other strong basketball teams in-state isn't a threat and in fact helps all of the programs by promoting the sport.

Several years back when Pearl was coaching, I went to the doubleheader at Bridgestone Arena when Memphis played MTSU, and we played Western Kentucky. I thought it was a cool concept.

Reactions: 2 people
I like that idea. Rotate it between Knox, Nash, Memphis, & Chatt. I don't know if there's a limit on how many tournaments a team can play in but it would be a fun 3 day tournament.

Back in my day there actually was a Volunteer Classic just before Christmas. Four teams played two games at Stokely. Many schools had their own invitational back then. The Vol Classic produced the famous 11-6 win over Temple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
AP has only made the tourney 7 times. 3 times since 2000, or about every 6 years

Libscomb just made it for the first time ever...

Back in my day there actually was a Volunteer Classic just before Christmas. Four teams played two games at Stokely. Many schools had their own invitational back then. The Vol Classic produced the famous 11-6 win over Temple.

The old Volunteer Classic did produce many interesting match-ups. During the Bernie-Ernie years, Clemson and 7-foot collegiate star "Tree" Rollins came to town and played Tennessee in a classic game. For those who don't know, "Tree" played many years later as a pro star later for the Atlanta Hawks.

We also played Memphis in the Vol Classic. Those were some very good games, too.

The old Volunteer Classic did produce many interesting match-ups. During the Bernie-Ernie years, Clemson and 7-foot collegiate star "Tree" Rollins came to town and played Tennessee in a classic game. For those who don't know, "Tree" played many years later as a pro star later for the Atlanta Hawks.

We also played Memphis in the Vol Classic. Those were some very good games, too.

We lost to Clemson, which was the first time we ever lost in the Volunteer Classic, if my memory is correct.

watched Lipscomb punch their ticket last night....it was fun......but seemed to last for hours

Don’t break Edyeary’s heart and leave LMU out.

Really, not broken hearted but a little pissed.
LMU just won the SAC tourney and is 30-1. The announcers were going on in the championship about how so many of LMU's players could be in D1 with their talent. LMU will host the D2 SE NCAA regional.
Also making the tourney are Carson Newman and King from TN.
Looks like Cumberland U. made the NAIA div. 2 tourney.

How many different conferences are represented by the Division 1 Tennessee schools? The fact that there are number of them is good because then the schools have a viable way into the NCAA Tournament and this would help attract and retain good coaches.

We lost to Clemson, which was the first time we ever lost in the Volunteer Classic, if my memory is correct.

TN beat Tree Rollins and Clemson in 1975:

1975-76 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

TN loss to Missouri was in 1972:

1972-73 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The 11-6 Temple game was in 1973:

1973-74 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

The Gary Carter miracle steal and 40' shot over American was in the 1981 VC opening round game:

1981-82 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

TN also beat BYU with Danny Ainge in 1980:

1980-81 Tennessee Volunteers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
AP has only made the tourney 7 times. 3 times since 2000, or about every 6 years

Libscomb just made it for the first time ever...

99% sure AP upset Illinois in the NCAA Tourney while I was in high school, '87 or '88.

Pretty sure I heard on the radio today that this year is the very first time that Lipscomb has made the dance.

Sorry, I will NEVER pull for Tiger High or Candy to win anything. I would be for ISIS against them. The rest of the teams would have my support.

I remember that game Carter stole the inbounds at mid court with 2 seconds left, launched a 45 footer and beat American in the 81 volunteer classic, I was happy kid that night.. John ward on the radio, it doesn't get any better than that.

The only reason I remember AP's upset over Illinois, is because a friend of mine were in the Fulton library reading the paper and talking about the upset and the head football coach, Steve Brewer heard us. Coach Brewer then told us, he went to AP and played football there. Coach Brewer played QB for Fulton in the '70s and took them, at the time, to their only state championship game, which they lost. Ten to 15 years later, Coach Brewer would coach Sevier Co. to a state championship

Yes, most students at Fulton do know how to read. Coach Brewer was a great coach and probably a better man. I believe he finally quit coaching to go into the ministry

Last edited:
Pretty sure I heard on the radio today that this year is the very first time that Lipscomb has made the dance.

Lunardi had Lipscomb as a play-in 16 seed when they punched their ticket. But in this morning’s bracket update, Lipscomb cannot be found. Human error on Lunardi’s part.

I said this on another thread but Austin Peay could have won the national championship in early 70s if not for the refs robbing them against Kentucky in the sweet 16. Game went to OT when it shouldn't have. Fly Williams was arguably best player in the country. My dad insists the refs robbed them. Team also had Howard Jackson...who broke his legs the next yr by falling down the silo of the Cumberland City plant. Also Percy Howard...who was drafted for football by Dallas. ..and caught a TD in the Super Bowl vs Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Well, Rhett? As a Tennessee resident, it might be sad that there is only one of those basketball programs I care anything about. But I have been waiting for those with influence to steer the Vols toward higher levels of performance than we have experienced in my lifetime.

This year, though, is the first I have ever had that give me a pinch of hope that they can make a run. Bruce got us close once, but the hope wasn't there. This year, it is. I feel really good about the guys we got.

As to the other in state teams, I don't begrudge their success. Well, I might make exception for Vanderbilt. But if they win a title, I won't be excited in the least. It will just be another team not called the Vols. I doubt anyone at my barber's shop will discuss their excellence, but if they do, I will step outside and have a cigarette. And I quit smoking 4 years ago.

Enjoy it if you wish. I'll pass.

Yes. And the next game Govs got into OT vs Providence and lost...to a Providence team that made it to the final four.

That team was a REALLY GOOD team that got stronger as the year went on.

Govs have been so close to making major noise in the tourney a few times.

We were a football school until the early 2000s. We are a better basketball school since

VN Store

Back