Thanks again, Texas

therealitytheory

This isn't snark - it's more a recognition of a blessing, really. Texas and CRB separated at the exact moment our program needed a miracle. And while some questioned his motivation at this stage of his career, Coach went about his business of building a championship team.

So good luck to Shaka and the Horns as they've apparently squeaked into the Dance. If Mo Bamba sticks around another season they may see some continued success, but there remains a sense of anxiousness down in Austin.

Not in Knoxville, though.

Reactions: 14 people
Texas getting in the tournament is by no means a foregone conclusion. Just because "Joey Brackets" makes a proclamation from on high doesn't mean it's so.

Reactions: 1 person
Several of these bubble teams won't make it to the NCAAT. These projected brackets don't include conference tournament upsets which reduce the chances of Texas getting an at-large bid. Texas needs to have a run in their tournament.

I still have mixed feelings on Texas's decision. On one hand, I commend them for having little tolerance concerning slipping up. On the other hand, how do you axe a guy that went to 17 straight (iirc) tournies?

Either way, Barnes was my first choice after he became available, and I'm really happy with the results this season. Hope he keeps it up, aka keeps on coasting :)

Reactions: 3 people
I still have mixed feelings on Texas's decision. On one hand, I commend them for having little tolerance concerning slipping up. On the other hand, how do you axe a guy that went to 17 straight (iirc) tournies?

Either way, Barnes was my first choice after he became available, and I'm really happy with the results this season. Hope he keeps it up, aka keeps on coasting :)

Huge upgrade over DT.

I'm guessing Texas has a high RPI or something, because 18-13 isn't exactly impressive.

The same way you axe 152-52 and an NC.

Reactions: 9 people
Is hiring Barnes the only positive from Dave Hart's tenure?

Putting some of the men hating Lady Vol administrators in their place was a positive. But blowing up the Lady Vol brand was a negative. Getting bent over by Moshak and Debbie What's Her Face (Jennings I think) were Ls for Hart as well.

Texas getting in the tournament is by no means a foregone conclusion. Just because "Joey Brackets" makes a proclamation from on high doesn't mean it's so.
They are "in" on 69 of 77 brackets on the Matrix. RPI of 48. They're pretty solidly in. They play Iowa St on Wednesday, win that and it's guaranteed. They beat Iowa St twice already, once badly at home.

I think it was time for Barnes and Texas to go their separate ways, so I don't think Texas made a bad decision in parting ways with CRB. Shaka Smart appeared to be one of the top coaches in the game while at VCU, but I think it is fair to say that he and VCU was a match made in Heaven. He's not a bad coach by any stretch, but with TCU and Texas Tech on the rise and with the likes of Kansas and West Virginia not going anywhere anytime soon (I'll even throw Baylor in the mix here despite them being a bit down this season), I'm doubtful that Shaka will ever succeed in getting Texas to the level Barnes what had them. 18-13 like seasons I think will be the norm for Texas as long as he is at the helm.

To end this post, I want to give a shoutout to my alma mater, the Lipscomb Bisons, for winning the A-Sun and clinching an NCAA Tournament appearance. Casey Alexander has done a fine job there. I wouldn't be surprised if he received some consideration for some better mid-major HC jobs.

Reactions: 2 people
To end this post, I want to give a shoutout to my alma mater, the Lipscomb Bisons, for winning the A-Sun and clinching an NCAA Tournament appearance. Casey Alexander has done a fine job there. I wouldn't be surprised if he received some consideration for some better mid-major HC jobs.

Good luck to Lipscomb. My nephew is on their golf team (tough duty - they just played a weekend tourney in FL).
Alexander is indeed a helluva coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Good luck to Lipscomb. My nephew is on their golf team (tough duty - they just played a weekend tourney in FL).
Alexander is indeed a helluva coach.

That's awesome! Best of luck to your nephew and the rest of the golf team. Alexander is terrific. The basketball program has improved light years from where it was when he first took over. They still aren't perfect and have some turnover issues at times, but Coach Alexander has done a remarkable job.

VN Store

Back