Guards too reliant on Williams?

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
I noticed that all game out guards had minimal impact up until Grant fouled out. Once he was out of the equation our guards seemed more aggressive, driving to the basket and forcing fouls which ultimately saved the game. I think if CRB can harp on that point (which I’m sure he will) this team can push itself to another level in the SEC/NCAA tournies.

Reactions: 2 people
Because our offense plays inside/out. It's by design. Were the Bulls too reliant on Jordan? Warriors on Curry?

Reactions: 3 people
We seem to play better when Williams is out. We came back tonight without him in the game (we were down by one when he fouled out). Also, when he went out against Miss. State earlier in the week, we expanded our lead.

I think we lean too much on him when he's in the game.

Reactions: 1 person
We seem to play better when Williams is out. We came back tonight without him in the game (we were down by one when he fouled out). Also, when he went out against Miss. State earlier in the week, we expanded our lead.

I think we lean too much on him when he's in the game.

He did have 22. We needed them all.

He did have 22. We needed them all.
I didn't say we don't need him. I think we lean on him way too much when he's in there. The last two (2) games the team has done better (especially in the MSU game) when he was out. The team literally won the Georgia game at the end when he was not there.

The broadcast crew tried to make a big deal out of this, but it was obvious we had a strategy to push the ball inside and try to get their bigs into foul trouble. It worked.

Reactions: 4 people
The broadcast crew tried to make a big deal out of this, but it was obvious we had a strategy to push the ball inside and try to get their bigs into foul trouble. It worked.
Yes it did... finally. I was afraid we'd run out of clock first.

Still would like to see Barnes let the leash off Jordan Bone and see what happens.

When our "bigs" got into foul trouble why did Walker not enter the game?
Ga's game plan was to pound it down low, we could have used another body.

Still would like to see Barnes let the leash off Jordan Bone and see what happens.

Bone is an enigma. Sometimes he looks great and other times he doesn't look very engaged. For us to make a run in the NCAA tourney, Bone will have to play at the top of his game at all times and not make any unforced turnovers.

If we are in fact small up front, if you shoot a lot from outside doesn't this give the taller team a better chance to rebound?
Surely shooting from 1-4 feet instead of from 12-20 feet gives you a better chance in the long run. However just a little more guard play will make those 1-4 footers easier to get. So here again "damned if we do and damned if we don't". Just go on with what you are doing, it seems to work quite well....

Because our offense plays inside/out. It's by design. Were the Bulls too reliant on Jordan? Warriors on Curry?

Agreed, but at some point, the "out" needs to step up and make a difference. Tournament success or lack thereof will come down to guard play. Ours have been unreliable and inconsistent all year. There's not one guard we can look to and say we can hang our hat on him. We desperately need an outside presence that teams fear and have to respect. Don't think that guy is on the roster right now.

I think only six players scored last night. Grant and Admiral combined for 45 of the 66. I think the whole nation knows our bread and butter, or sorry peanut butter and jelly. And if Admiral can keep playing like a guard and forward, our guard play will be fine. I think he is putting the nation on alert. The stories about him are already being written in preparation for the SEC and NCAA tournaments. We will hear about his 1000 shots a day 1000 times on air over the next month.

One more thing, I can count 4-5 times where Grant’s shot just barely missed last night, which equates to 8-10 points. It was kind of fluky and I expect that to be cleaned up for the tournament (s).

Agreed, but at some point, the "out" needs to step up and make a difference. Tournament success or lack thereof will come down to guard play. Ours have been unreliable and inconsistent all year. There's not one guard we can look to and say we can hang our hat on him. We desperately need an outside presence that teams fear and have to respect. Don't think that guy is on the roster right now.
Disagree. Turner has a real killer instinct.

Reactions: 3 people

Admiral is shooting close to 40% from long range

I may be in the minority but if the game is on the line I want the ball in admirals hands . Best all around player on the team right now .

OP makes a good point.
When two players account for 2/3 of your points.
Yea, Turner and Bone looked a lot more assertive and effective when Grant fouled out. It shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Grant also looked a lot better when he got the ball further away from the basket and could work.

UGA is long and they were able to go straight up, which caused Grant some problems. When Grant could move he was able to create space.
But he still had a great game (despite the foul on the three).

Williams and Schofield scored so much because that was the game plan. The ball was being delivered to which ever player Maten was guarding and after he picked up his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fouls he was ineffective on defense.

I’ve been making the point for weeks that the offense struggles when we try and force it into GW...I actually didn’t think it was as bad yesterday as it has been at times, we didn’t turn it over much doing it and GW usually hits most of those shots he missed...but yes, there is a fine line this team has to toe to be most efficient, can’t just stand around and watch GW try to score every time down.

When our "bigs" got into foul trouble why did Walker not enter the game?
Ga's game plan was to pound it down low, we could have used another body.

Walker was in foul trouble in the first half and wasn’t playing well. We were having more success with small ball lineups.

VN Store

Back