How much impact did the overseas trip this summer have?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was thinking this morning, for whatever reason, about the trip the Vols basketball team took overseas last summer. I believe that time spent was invaluable, and had a definite positive impact on this young team.

[Twitter]896070768097763330[/twitter]

It seems like I remember a post or a link about the correlation of these trips and success during the season. Anyone remember that?

How much of an impact did that trip have on the season’s success, in your opinion?

Reactions: 10 people
I think it really made an huge impact early in the year and with the results, it kept rolling.

Reactions: 1 person
Life lessons for a young basketball team.... Gave coach Barnes some Extra teaching time , invaluable imo.

Helped develop chemistry which I think is one of the biggest difference makers on this years team.

Reactions: 4 people
Pearl did the same thing almost every year. However his teams would wear down as the season unfolded.

Barnes and crew look to be getting stronger, we shall see.

Redirect Notice

Pearl does this year in and year out. Did it here and still does it at Auburn.

If you are talking about taking an overseas trip, he doesn't do it year in and year out. The NCAA doesn't allow them to be taken less than 4 years apart. For example, Tennessee will not be allowed to take another one until 2021.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe it's just my impression but I think so many unexpected good years follow these trips in a lot of programs

Iirc auburn took one this year as well

I was wondering if Auburn’s success this year might be tied to an overseas trip. Sure enough.

[Twitter]893500091134164993[/twitter]

Must have also made an impression on Barnes. I've heard him mention it several times in his media encounters.
He knew what they were going to be early.
Who was it he told after those games, "We're going to be very good." Dickie V maybe?

If you are talking about taking an overseas trip, he doesn't do it year in and year out. The NCAA doesn't allow them to be taken less than 4 years apart. For example, Tennessee will not be allowed to take another one until 2021.

Canada here we come.

It apparent that Barnes has enough depth to keep key players fresh, and he appears to have the confidence to place true freshman in the game without a lot of drop off in production. It hasn't been 100%, UT lost some games they should have won, but this is a young team, and next year should be as good if not better. Walker and Alexander could be UT's best big men inside.

I was thinking this morning, for whatever reason, about the trip the Vols basketball team took overseas last summer. I believe that time spent was invaluable, and had a definite positive impact on this young team.

[Twitter]896070768097763330[/twitter]

It seems like I remember a post or a link about the correlation of these trips and success during the season. Anyone remember that?

How much of an impact did that trip have on the season’s success, in your opinion?

BTO made a big deal about it and I scoffed at it. Could be on to something though.

Anyone remember what year(s) he did it when he was here? It would be interesting to look at the records of the folowing seasons.

Not sure but I think it’s something that’s allowed every 4 years. So you can probably find one then subtract 4 years.

Not sure but I think it’s something that’s allowed every 4 years. So you can probably find one then subtract 4 years.

I'm not sure that would work. There has to be 4 years in between, but not every coach takes ones every four years.

For instance, if a coach was hired the off-season before the first eligible year, he may not have time to put together an international trip in that short notice. He may not to wait until the following year.

I'm not sure that would work. There has to be 4 years in between, but not every coach takes ones every four years.

For instance, if a coach was hired the off-season before the first eligible year, he may not have time to put together an international trip in that short notice. He may not to wait until the following year.

True. I think you could probably find pearls first trip if you find his second one though.

Just looked it up, Pearl took the team on an 11-day trip to Europe through the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Austria in the summer of 2007.

Tennessee finished 31-5 that season, achieved #1 for first tine in program history, and finished with a school record for wins. Also won the first outright SEC title in 41 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Okay, let me clarify. I did not necessarily mean a trip abroad. Yes I realize that's the topic being discussed.

Actually what I should have said was, Pearls UT teams seemed to play in a lot of preseason tournaments.
It's been 10 years now, am I just misremembering.

VN Store

Back