Tennessee up to #8 RPI

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
updated RPI rankings have Tennessee as #8, jumping 4 spots. I think earlier in the season we may have been around #7 at one point. We are well positioned to get a 3 seed, and a 2 seed is not out of the question if we win the next 4 games.

Will be exciting if we can stay hot for the next month (31 days until the Final Four!)

GBO :pilot:

DI Men's College Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com

Reactions: 9 people
the other good news is that the worst we can do it lose the next 2 games, and it's still possible we wind up as a 4 seed? what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A 2 seed is within reach , we might b able to get the 2 by just reaching the championship game... Do you guys think we can get a 2 without winning the tournament?

A 2 seed is within reach , we might b able to get the 2 by just reaching the championship game... Do you guys think we can get a 2 without winning the tournament?

Yes possibly. Depends on other teams but we could possibly sneak in as the last 2

seems like every year (well, every year we've gotten to the tournament), we usually wind up a seed (or 2) below where we were hoping. I am guessing it's partially because we are being overly optimistic cherry picking from a couple of experts, and partially that Tennessee isn't historically a basketball power, so we get judged a little harsher. so at this point, i wouldnt be shocked if we lose in the SECT and wound up as a 4.

updated RPI rankings have Tennessee as #8, jumping 4 spots. I think earlier in the season we may have been around #7 at one point. We are well positioned to get a 3 seed, and a 2 seed is not out of the question if we win the next 4 games.

Will be exciting if we can stay hot for the next month (31 days until the Final Four!)

GBO :pilot:

DI Men's College Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball RPI | NCAA.com

If we win the next four, which means we win the SECT and (at worst) split the regular season championship, a 2 seed is a 100% lock. I'd bet my house on it. We'd be 26-7, a top 10 RPI, a top 20 SOS, and 8-9 Q1 wins.

Reactions: 2 people
seems like every year (well, every year we've gotten to the tournament), we usually wind up a seed (or 2) below where we were hoping. I am guessing it's partially because we are being overly optimistic cherry picking from a couple of experts, and partially that Tennessee isn't historically a basketball power, so we get judged a little harsher. so at this point, i wouldnt be shocked if we lose in the SECT and wound up as a 4.

This is where Rick Barnes is like money in the bank. UT may not have the national reputation of some, but Coach Barnes does in addition to being very highly regarded as a coach and person throughout the NCAA basketball world.

If there is a "benefit of the doubt" to be had I like our chances getting it. :)

If we won 4 straight, we'd be closer to getting a 1 seed than a 3 seed.

If that Championship game was against Auburn then would be a huge help. I'll say this if a 2 seed transpires or better yet a 1 seed. I don't know if there are 10 teams in the history of the NCAA tournament like ours. Pure blue collar sum I'd greater than the parts team. Almost all of the 1s or 2s have a stud with noteriety. Our 06 team led by CJ & Lofton might be another one but as a whole it's very rare not to be led by a star.

Believe 3 seed is most likely. I think we handle UGA at home and get at least 1 win in the SECT. Even if we lost SECCG we still get 3 or better, depending on how other teams do in their tournaments.

#2 seed in 2005 I believe, #6, #2, #6. Those where some of Pearl's seeds. The 2005 was highly unexpected. They thought #5 or so before the bracket came out. If they win out, they would be pushing for a #1 seed. Be happy with a 4 and above.

I would agree with this with the notable exception of 2006. We had lost 4 out of 6 going into Selection Sunday including two losses at home to Arkansas and Kentucky and a very uninspired loss to South Carolina in the SEC Tournament. Yet, somehow at 21-7 we were given a 2 seed. That is the only time that I remember being pleasantly surprised with our seeding in the NCAA Tournament... and we needed a last second shot from Chris Lofton to even make it out of the first round. LOL.

This is where Rick Barnes is like money in the bank. UT may not have the national reputation of some, but Coach Barnes does in addition to being very highly regarded as a coach and person throughout the NCAA basketball world.

If there is a "benefit of the doubt" to be had I like our chances getting it. :)

The problem is the "benefit of the doubt" might have to come at the expense of a Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach K, or Izzo coached team. You think the NCAA will give us the "benefit of the doubt" or would they let those 4 continue to play by their own rules?

#2 seed in 2005 I believe, #6, #2, #6. Those where some of Pearl's seeds. The 2005 was highly unexpected. They thought #5 or so before the bracket came out. If they win out, they would be pushing for a #1 seed. Be happy with a 4 and above.

Pearl's seeds were #2, #5, #2, #9, #6, and #9.

If we win Saturday I think we have locked up a 3 seed even if we lose our first game in the tournament. I could also see us locking up a 2 seed by just getting to the Final, depending on what chaos happens in the rest of the country. Anything can happen in these conference tournaments. Top seeds could exit early.

VN Store

Back