I was wrong

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
I'm not too big of a boy to admit this but I was way off regarding the basketball team.

During the offseason, I did not think this team would finish 13th in the SEC (at least I was right about something) but I thought they'd finish in 7th-9th spot in the SEC.

During the offseason, I thought this team would be on track for the NCAAs through January and fall a game short based on February/March results.

I'll admit I didn't think this team had enough elite talent to win close games late or later in the season. I thought that the X and O advantage that Barnes had over certain coaches would disappear late in the season against more talented teams.

As recently as last Monday, I thought the team had peaked and would limp into March (thought 2-2 in last 4 SEC regular season games). I thought the team could not keep up the insane defensive numbers and that the offensive efficiency would continue to fall. All this team did was even improve the defensive stats although the offensive efficiency numbers (tonight notwithstanding) still concern me only as it pertains to a deep NCAA run.

In conclusion, if my doubting this team is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Comments, gloaters, or other "I was wrong" comments are welcome...

Reactions: 16 people
I was wrong too. I would have gladly accepted 9-9 in the SEC heading into January. This team proved me a doubter

Reactions: 4 people
I had us winning 18-19 reg season games, realistically. 9-3 OOC was optimistic, 8-4 more realistic, and then 10-8, 11-7 at best in the SEC. I felt that was probably good for 6th in the conference, but I also felt 12-6 Just might win the conference.

As it turns out 12-6 might actually win the conference, though 13-5 is more likely. And 10-8 probably gets you 6th place.

No one imagined we'd enter the final weekend of the season with a shot at an SEC Title. If they say they did, they're lying or just the biggest homer of all time.

Reactions: 5 people
This team has proved a lot of us wrong. I thought 7th-9th place in the SEC. I am so happy for this team and the way they have played this week. Let's whip some more bulldog tail Saturday.

GBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I was wrong abiut this team as well. Early in the season I did not think they would ever learn how to win

I had us winning 18-19 reg season games, realistically. 9-3 OOC was optimistic, 8-4 more realistic, and then 10-8, 11-7 at best in the SEC. I felt that was probably good for 6th in the conference, but I also felt 12-6 Just might win the conference.

As it turns out 12-6 might actually win the conference, though 13-5 is more likely. And 10-8 probably gets you 6th place.

No one imagined we'd enter the final weekend of the season with a shot at an SEC Title. If they say they did, they're lying or just the biggest homer of all time.

I do remember that golfballs picked us to go 12-6 in the SEC but nobody agreed with him and he was laughed at quite a bit...even by me, I hate to admit. I called us a typical NIT team. LOL!

Reactions: 1 person
Always been a diehard Vol Football fan, even growing up in the late stage of the Fulmer era. Never considered myself a basketball fan, but going to TBA with some friends to watch them against Florida (F Florida), this team is a blast to watch. Great guys too; they are all humble if you run into them on campus.

The support for this basketball team is growing vastly within the student body.

Go Vols, and down to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.

Reactions: 3 people
Me too. I previously posted a prediction Of 2-3 the last five with losses at UGA, FL and at MSU. Glad I've been wrong so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not too big of a boy to admit this but I was way off regarding the basketball team.

During the offseason, I did not think this team would finish 13th in the SEC (at least I was right about something) but I thought they'd finish in 7th-9th spot in the SEC.

During the offseason, I thought this team would be on track for the NCAAs through January and fall a game short based on February/March results.

I'll admit I didn't think this team had enough elite talent to win close games late or later in the season. I thought that the X and O advantage that Barnes had over certain coaches would disappear late in the season against more talented teams.

As recently as last Monday, I thought the team had peaked and would limp into March (thought 2-2 in last 4 SEC regular season games). I thought the team could not keep up the insane defensive numbers and that the offensive efficiency would continue to fall. All this team did was even improve the defensive stats although the offensive efficiency numbers (tonight notwithstanding) still concern me only as it pertains to a deep NCAA run.

In conclusion, if my doubting this team is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Comments, gloaters, or other "I was wrong" comments are welcome...

In the pre-season, many of the so called "EXPERTS" on the national level said that Tennessee would be a surprise team. I had hoped that they were right but I honestly thought it was more likely that they would peak at some point in the season and then bottom out.

I was wrong too. I would have gladly accepted 9-9 in the SEC heading into January. This team proved me a doubter

how's the ole back pocket feeling this morning...lighter?...:whistling:...:)

PS. takes a big man to admit being wrong...been there, done that...:thumbsup:...:)

GO VOLS!

truth be told...who didn't they fool...really...heck of a season...one for the books...:)

GO VOLS!

I thought they would be a bubble team just because of Barnes. Had no idea he would turn these guys into a well oiled machine 11 deep! That game last night was a masterpiece by coach, staff and players. Did not miss a note, State quit at the 8 minute mark hands on hips, heads down.

Reactions: 1 person
It's okay to be wrong a if you're not an A..hole about it.

I think I was wrong about something yesterday. wife said.
With the youth of this team and the future we have don't see how any one could doubt or be discouraged by anything that remains this year.
Been a good un.

I don't recall my exact words, but I said before the season began that these Vols would make some noise in the SEC. Didn't expect us to be vying for first place as the season comes to a close, but I knew in my bones we would finish far above 13th place.

What happened to hitting that "Barnes Wall"? Don't hear anything about that anymore either. Let's put that concept to bed once and for all.

I sure didn't see last night coming. It was domination like that team hadn't seen (at home) all season. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

The Purdue win early showed this team was capable of big things. Such a nice surprise this year. If Rick Barnes doesn't win National Coach of the Year, something's wrong.

VN Store

Back