BTO’s Mississippi State postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. WOW. I didn’t feel good about this game, I didn’t think it wasn’t a winnable but I just thought we were walking into a tough place against a team that was desperate for a big win and very good at home. I NEVER would’ve believe you had you told me we’d win by 20+ points, I said we would arguably need our best game of the year to get a win, safe to say that may have been our best game of the year...so much for having peaked 2 weeks ago like people were worrying about.

2. This game was close the first 10 minutes, and the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half...common theme in both of those stretches was we turned the ball over and also allowed some offensive rebounds. The other 25 minutes we had about 2 total turnovers and kept them off the offensive boards and that’s when we dominated them, we outrebounded State 34-24...great effort on the boards. My point being, when we take care of the ball we are an extremely efficient offense, and when we keep teams off the offensive boards we are one of the best defensive teams in the country. Speaking of defense...another opponent held under 40%fg, believe that makes us 17-0 when we do that.

3. We attenpted 11 three pointers, Grant Williams had 3 total FGA, and we scored 76 points? That was a clinic, we got great looks, completely unselfish play tonight from everyone, and Schofield has become a monster. After posting a career high 25pts last game he comes out and scores 24pts and adds 7rbd tonight, he was phenomenal, he’s really blossoming into one heck of a player.

4. Thought we got great minutes from Yves Pons and Derrick Walker tonight...they combined for 10pts 5rbd 2ast 0to, if tonight was a sign of things to come from those guys watch out. Pons didn’t just look like he was out there going through motions, took a good 3 pointer that barely missed, curl to the basket, would’ve had an oop if Daniels makes a nice pass...saw some flashes tonight from Pons. And Walker had a great stretch in the 2nd half, I believe both times finishing with his left hand, he’s also a phenomenal passer and seems to have a great b-ball IQ...those guys have a bright future.

5. Honestly I can’t even find anything negative to say...maybe they could’ve closed the last 5 minutes a bit stronger but that would be beyond nitpicking. You watch that game though and you can still find areas for improvement, 3-4 turnovers that were just dumb, a couple of dumb and-one fouls that could’ve been eliminated...this team can still get better imo.

6. With the win tonight the hype train is rolling at warp speed...22-7(12-5) with a VERY winnable home game upcoming against Georgia. Win that one and our Vols are one of the hottest teams in the country to close out the year, would almost certainly be guaranteed a 3 seed and and potentially even up to a 2 seed if some games go their way. Folks, this is one of the Top 5 Tennessee basketball teams of all time, that’s not an opinion, the facts back it up...get your a$$e$ out to TBA on Saturday for the ball game, it’s a 6pm tip and tickets have been reduced to $7, there is no reason that shouldn’t be a sellout and TBA should be shaking, these guys deserve it.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 56 people
Just A team effort. I thought Bowden played a great floor game and Pons was a great compliment to him.

Reactions: 5 people
Nice write up. Give some love to Turner and Bone too. Both Taking smart shots and look so much more confident

Reactions: 3 people
This was a trap game, by definition. UT overcame their early charge and just took over the game. Miss. St. seemed to give up in the 2nd have and UT kept the hammer on them.

Reactions: 1 person
. Folks, this is one of the top 5 tennessee basketball teams of all time, that’s not an opinion, the facts back it up...get your a$$e$ out to tba on saturday for the ball game, it’s a 6pm tip and tickets have been reduced to $7, there is no reason that shouldn’t be a sellout and tba should be shaking, these guys deserve it.

Gbo!!!

no excuses!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Great win. I will say, though, I've never seen a team miss as many layups and free throws as Mississippi State did tonight. Game is a lot closer without that.

1. I felt like MSU's bigs were soft after watching them last weekend. That played out tonight. They adopted the "double Grant" philosophy, and got dealt with. Their 4 main post players were 4-13 shooting, 7 rebs, and 2 blocks, and we outrebounded them by 10 as a team.

2. Things are about to open up for Grant Williams. This may be the last game we see teams attempt to double him, because we have found ways to make them pay, mainly Admiral Schofield.

3. This looked like a team laser focused knowing they had a mission, and that is to win the SEC. Georgia doesn't scare me, and I am convinced that the first game was a fluke.

4. 17-0 when holding our opponent to under 40% shooting now.

Reactions: 3 people
Great win. I will say, though, I've never seen a team miss as many layups and free throws as Mississippi State did tonight. Game is a lot closer without that.

Not to mention, if MSU's bigs take it to the hole rather passing out for the three they could have either generated some easy baskets or gotten out bigs in foul trouble.

This was a trap game, by definition. UT overcame their early charge and just took over the game. Miss. St. seemed to give up in the 2nd have and UT kept the hammer on them.

I would have called Saturday's game at Ole Miss a trap game more than tonight. This was a game against a 20+ win team. We came out and played like it.

First word BTO is wow! And that should be the first word. We whipped the sorry asses up and down the court and played grown man basketball. Played to our strengths and said stop us and they couldn't. I absolutely love it!! Went into a tough environment and got in their heads and didnt go away.

If I'm not mistaken that's the tenth team we've held to their lowest total of the season. Say that on Twitter so don't take it to the bank but damn we play tough!!

Hard cuts, good basketball, and a great defense will lead this vols team a long way! As a 28 year old die hard vol fan, this is the most solid vols club I've watched in my life.

GBDO!!!

VN Store

Back