Scotty Hopson to the Mavs

Awesome. Always liked Scotty Hopson for several reasons. First, he was a 5* who shunned UK. Second, he made tons of plays for us. I remember him dunking over the KU center and draining the huge shot late vs UK, both wins. Third, he never got into trouble and seemed to have a + attitude and work ethic.

His curse was that of 5* disease. Had he been a 3*, then he would have been beloved by all. Oh, and that other FT vs MSU would have helped.

Good luck young man. Make the most of it.

Reactions: 6 people
Awesome. Always liked Scotty Hopson for several reasons. First, he was a 5* who shunned UK. Second, he made tons of plays for us. I remember him dunking over the KU center and draining the huge shot late vs UK, both wins. Third, he never got into trouble and seemed to have a + attitude and work ethic.

His curse was that of 5* disease. Had he been a 3*, then he would have been beloved by all. Oh, and that other FT vs MSU would have helped.

Yeah, and it's not his fault other people overrated him. I think he put a lot of pressure on himself and it affected his mental game. Most of his issues were in his head. He still ended up being a very good player for us. And from everything I could tell was a good kid too.

Reactions: 2 people
How old is he? Can’t believe he’s still playing. Figured he would’ve given up by now. Good for him

He should have stayed that extra year and played for Counzo Martin. He was not drafted. Another season may have changed his whole draft status.

How old is he? Can’t believe he’s still playing. Figured he would’ve given up by now. Good for him

If I were faced with going to a regular $50,000 per year job OR playing for $150,000 in a lesser basketball league and keeping the hope alive to someday be an NBA star. i would remain in basketball. I might end up in Europe or in a D League in America, but still earning more money than a regular job.

Reactions: 1 person
He should have stayed that extra year and played for Counzo Martin. He was not drafted. Another season may have changed his whole draft status.

Read somewhere he was at the draft and when he didn’t get drafted he sat in the parking garage and cried. He also stopped going to class his final year so he kind of screwed himself. Good luck to him now.

Yeah. Probably so. CCM could have had a real + impact on his defensive disinterest IMO. If Scotty had Josh's defensive passion, the scouts woulda been all over him. And as poster above said, he needed to improve his handles a lot.

Happy for him. Hope he makes waves and sticks on a roster.

Read somewhere he was at the draft and when he didn’t get drafted he sat in the parking garage and cried. He also stopped going to class his final year so he kind of screwed himself. Good luck to him now.

It was reported that he had awful interviews with NBA teams that turned them off. His JR was a huge step in the right direction for him, but I can’t fault him for not wanting to play for coach Zo. I like coach Zo, but his system requires bigger G to handle the ball at times, which was not Hopson’s strong suit. Zo loves those combo, big G, and with the roster we had, Hopson would have been ask to carry the load some at bringing the ball up, etc. In the end, he left and has still done well for himself.

It was reported that he had awful interviews with NBA teams that turned them off. His JR was a huge step in the right direction for him, but I can’t fault him for not wanting to play for coach Zo. I like coach Zo, but his system requires bigger G to handle the ball at times, which was not Hopson’s strong suit. Zo loves those combo, big G, and with the roster we had, Hopson would have been ask to carry the load some at bringing the ball up, etc. In the end, he left and has still done well for himself.

That ability to handle the ball and solid defense are exactly what his game was missing. He could have really benefited from a year with So, and it would have improved his NBA profile. He got bad advice.

If I were faced with going to a regular $50,000 per year job OR playing for $150,000 in a lesser basketball league and keeping the hope alive to someday be an NBA star. i would remain in basketball. I might end up in Europe or in a D League in America, but still earning more money than a regular job.

He made a lot more than that in Europe and when coupled with his stints with NBA clubs he has made somewhere around 5 million. I don't think that's a complete failure.

Yeah, Martin would have really helped him develop as an offensive player. lol

I always thought he was a good player. I tell you what though. I didn't realize Josh Richardson would be as good as he is, but I am getting sidetracked.

Like McRae, Golden, Maymon, Stokes, J Rich. Laugh all you want but Zo developed players.

Yeah... Martin did not make them better offensively, that was their own skill for the most part. In fact, they could've been far better, and we saw that whenever he finally stopped his terrible scheme when we made our tourney run.

Couldn't dribble and struggled with the mental aspect. That said, he was overly criticized while at Tennessee. Accomplished a lot, despite the criticism.

It was reported that he had awful interviews with NBA teams that turned them off. His JR was a huge step in the right direction for him, but I can’t fault him for not wanting to play for coach Zo. I like coach Zo, but his system requires bigger G to handle the ball at times, which was not Hopson’s strong suit. Zo loves those combo, big G, and with the roster we had, Hopson would have been ask to carry the load some at bringing the ball up, etc. In the endl, he left and has still done well for himself.
He literally told reporters/GMs that he deserved to be a first round pick because he was so good and he was going to be one of the best to play (paraphrase). He was waaaay too full of himself.

VN Store

Back