BTO’s Florida postgame report

bleedingTNorange

sorry it’s late, just got home from the ballgame...

1. You can’t complain about a win over Florida, home or away, and especially this year...you simply can not complain about it. We found a way to get win #20 which wasn’t something many thought preseason was possible, you take them however you can get them this time of year.

2. Rick Barnes listened to fans and gave Jordan Bone his most minutes in a game this year(2018), he responded by going 3-9fg 6pts 4ast 2to...it wasn’t a picture perfect night and he missed a couple at the rim he frequently misses, but the fact he was on the court late means he clearly was doing something right that Barnes liked and at one point I actually saw Barnes give Bone a high five, so there’s that.

3. Grant Williams was a monster in the 2nd half, the offense flowed so much better with him in the game that 2nd half and he was sorely missed when he exited the game both times. I would still like to see his rebounding numbers improve just a little but it was nice to see the Grant we are used to seeing and haven’t seen in awhile, he responded nicely to Barnes challenged post UGA.

4. I’m not a basketball expert, so I don’t claim to know the answer but I’m curious to it...in the first half we were hell bent getting it inside it seemed and for Grant to shoot..this resulted in multiple turnovers, a couple of blocked shots, and a couple ugly shots. In the 2nd half entry passes seemed much cleaner, Williams was quicker with the ball and we had 2 turnovers the whole half after 10 in the first half. I’m not sure of the adjustment but what I do know is that when we appear to be forcing it inside it rarely results in something good, we spend 20 seconds trying to force it to him even though he’s practically doubled before even catching the pass. There is no doubt he’s our best player imo and the second half showed that, but at times it just seems like there should be easier ways to get him the ball.

5. Kyle Alexander is becoming frustrating, he gives you 12&15&3 one night and then straight donuts the next night...if he’s gonna play 25mpg he’s gotta give us something more than 3rbds and 1blk shot, he just has to. You would’ve thought with his height this should’ve been a good matchup for him but they appeared to bully him around and just give more effort than he did, not gonna be a pleasant film session for him.

6. So 3 games remaining...@Ole Miss, @Mississippi State and then home for Georgia...I think 2-1 should be the expectation, never easy to win on the road in conference and right now Mississippi State is playing some good ball. If we finish 2-1 to be 22-9(12-6) we will have a double bye for the SECT and likely have locked down a 4 seed with a chance to play our way up to a 3 in the SECT...lets make it happen, GBO!

Reactions: 14 people
Watched Bone as hard as I could on D tonight and I thought he was fabulous on Chiazo. Maybe that is why he played until the end.

Reactions: 2 people
I might have missed it but it didn’t seem like Walker got many minutes. I got to thinking about it after Fulkerson shot that air ball from about 8 feet.

Reactions: 1 person
I might have missed it but it didn’t seem like Walker got many minutes. I got to thinking about it after Fulkerson shot that air ball from about 8 feet.

JMO but when a team spreads the floor and really has no low post back to the basket guys that is a game more suited for FulKerson than Walker. That's why walker didn't play in my mind

Another key to tonight's win was UT holding Florida to 6 of 24 from the 3 point line and congratulations to CRB for winning 20 games for a 20th season in his 31 year career and congratulations to UT for notching the 25th 20 win season in school history.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it's clear we need to give Williams the ball more and clear out the lane. He is damn good with the dribble off the elbow. We seem to go to that some late in games but rarely throughout games.

Thought it was cool when they brought out Ron Slay, Bobby Maze, Jordan Mcrae, Josh Richardson, and Chris Lofton. Crowd went nuts, especially for Lofton. Oh, and the unicycle chick at halftime was awesome.

Reactions: 9 people

4. (Forcing it inside)

6. So 3 games remaining...@Ole Miss, @Mississippi State and then home for Georgia...I think 2-1 should be the expectation, never easy to win on the road in conference and right now Mississippi State is playing some good ball. If we finish 2-1 to be 22-9(12-6) we will have a double bye for the SECT and likely have locked down a 4 seed with a chance to play our way up to a 3 in the SECT...lets make it happen, GBO!

4. It's up to coach Barnes, but I think the players should be expecting to get it inside, but if Grant is double-teamed, they should automatically know someone is open, find him, and get the easy bucket. I don't think it is rocket science. If a guy can't hit an open shot, he doesn't need to be in there in the first place.

6. I would take 2-1 all day long. It guarantees 2nd place. If we somehow lost all 3, there is no telling what place we would be in, given the logjam behind us. Obviously, this win puts us easily in the driver's seat against those right behind us, but does not guarantee anything, except maybe a top half of the conference finish.

Reactions: 5 people
Thought it was cool when they brought out Ron Slay, Bobby Maze, Jordan Mcrae, Josh Richardson, and Chris Lofton. Crowd went nuts, especially for Lofton. Oh, and the unicycle chick at halftime was awesome.

Yes. The game was intense! A good win.

Did you notice that Josh threw the bowls to the unicycle lady. He and Jordan were on the floor filming her with their phones.

One more home game. Everyone needs to make it to TBA a week from Saturday.

Wow, if we go 0-3 to finish out the year (which we won't), we will have the same amount of losses in SEC play as the football team

Inside game is a must..go inside and if double teamed find the open man..
Barnes knows we have to have and inside game because at times the 3 point shots are going to fail you...
Once again I thought we were going to give up our lead early in the second half but fortunately held on...
This was an important win tonight...we had to win at home and we did just enough to squeak it out....
Holding Florida 3 point shots in check was the key to the win....

The worst play of the game was when the tennessee player lightly grazed the florida player and he flopped like someone used a stun gun........and the academy award goes to.........

Reactions: 5 people
The worst play of the game was when the tennessee player lightly grazed the florida player and he flopped like someone used a stun gun........and the academy award goes to.........

Yeah I can’t stand flops like that. Loved that 90+% free throw shooter clanked the first one after that tho.

Barnes had Grant playing out front at the foul line some in the 2nd half... that way Grant could drive to the basket without first getting in a double-team quagmire. Every team in the SEC knows to double-team him low.

Coach Barnes has realy done a great job motivating and teaching these young men to play the kind of basketball volnation can b proud of. Defense must b played at a high level with great effort or you sit with him and enjoy the game.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 3 people
Yes. The game was intense! A good win.

Did you notice that Josh threw the bowls to the unicycle lady. He and Jordan were on the floor filming her with their phones.

One more home game. Everyone needs to make it to TBA a week from Saturday.

The unicycle lady was amazing. There had to be some magnets in those bowls or else she has some kind of super power.

1. You can’t complain about a win over Florida, home or away, and especially this year...you simply can not complain about it. We found a way to get win #20 which wasn’t something many thought preseason was possible, you take them however you can get them this time of year.

2. Rick Barnes listened to fans and gave Jordan Bone his most minutes in a game this year(2018), he responded by going 3-9fg 6pts 4ast 2to...it wasn’t a picture perfect night and he missed a couple at the rim he frequently misses, but the fact he was on the court late means he clearly was doing something right that Barnes liked and at one point I actually saw Barnes give Bone a high five, so there’s that.

3. Grant Williams was a monster in the 2nd half, the offense flowed so much better with him in the game that 2nd half and he was sorely missed when he exited the game both times. I would still like to see his rebounding numbers improve just a little but it was nice to see the Grant we are used to seeing and haven’t seen in awhile, he responded nicely to Barnes challenged post UGA.

4. I’m not a basketball expert, so I don’t claim to know the answer but I’m curious to it...in the first half we were hell bent getting it inside it seemed and for Grant to shoot..this resulted in multiple turnovers, a couple of blocked shots, and a couple ugly shots. In the 2nd half entry passes seemed much cleaner, Williams was quicker with the ball and we had 2 turnovers the whole half after 10 in the first half. I’m not sure of the adjustment but what I do know is that when we appear to be forcing it inside it rarely results in something good, we spend 20 seconds trying to force it to him even though he’s practically doubled before even catching the pass. There is no doubt he’s our best player imo and the second half showed that, but at times it just seems like there should be easier ways to get him the ball.

5. Kyle Alexander is becoming frustrating, he gives you 12&15&3 one night and then straight donuts the next night...if he’s gonna play 25mpg he’s gotta give us something more than 3rbds and 1blk shot, he just has to. You would’ve thought with his height this should’ve been a good matchup for him but they appeared to bully him around and just give more effort than he did, not gonna be a pleasant film session for him.

He did score one basket; just for the wrong team!

VN Store

Back