Should We Wait for the Results of the FBI Before Asking About Recruiting?

Lankykong

I think almost all of the posters here wish we had a quality top 100 guy (or a 5 star, really) on this roster, as do I. Having a guy we could play at PG that could break down the defense consistently or another athletic C like Alexander would be great.

Having said that, while looking at the landscape of college basketball, it seems like the FBI investigation is going to take down many lottery picks and top 16 teams, as well as some of the hall of fame coaches that are getting these 4/5 stars. Breaking the law would give an advantage at landing these players over programs following the rules.

So my question is as the title states: Do you think we should wait for the results of the FBI investigation to judge the job that Barnes has done in recruiting over the past few years? Or are we good to judge now since it is probable that a decent number of these top 100 players per year aren't involved with dirty stuff?

Reactions: 1 person
I am pretty sure Caliapari has to be on that list. If he is not he is doing a heck of a job hiding all of it. There is no way he gets all that talent with out cheating.

Reactions: 2 people
Why should you judge Barnes' recruiting? Useless post.

If you've been reading the game/post-game threads, they're full of people judging Barnes' recruiting. Basilio judges it as well.

The point of the thread is to ask if people think that trying to avoid rulebreaking/NCAA issues is one big reason why Barnes doesn't go after/get many big fish, considering what we've learned about the FBI investigation. People have different opinions on this based on how widespread they think the violations will go, which makes sense.

Obviously we have a good team and have had a good (edit: amazing) year, and I'm personally very happy with the players we have.

Last edited:
No we shouldn't wait.

He's done a hell of a job we are planning to dance to March
Yeah, I hear that. We've done amazingly well.

I do think it's even more impressive though if UTC ends up being a 2 seed after the vacated NCAAT appearances as Thamel joked (I guess we would be a 1 seed), for instance.

Do we really expect a 4 or 5 star player to come to UT?

Wait until we get to the tourney (and better yet, sweet 16) before we have a reasonable chance at a top player. Our history is old.

CRB is doing a great job considering what he has to sell.

Reactions: 3 people
well, legally we have to, but my only problem with Coach Barnes is he hasn't got me that 325lber, 7 footer with quick feet and soft hands...that's about it, except maybe, make that two...:)

GO VOLS!

The problem is tht we really have no idea when the details will come out, or even if they ever will. I would have though we would already know a lot more. So, it is just wait and see.

If a lot does come out, and we are not implicated in anything, then we should certainly expect to start getting more highly ranked players. Of course, like others are saying here, winning would help an awful lot too.

Hopefully, it is a perfect storm of others being found guilty and us doing well in the tourney.

I am pretty sure Caliapari has to be on that list. If he is not he is doing a heck of a job hiding all of it. There is no way he gets all that talent with out cheating.

True. But that is true for literally every program going after these elite recruits running on the aau circuit.

If you've been reading the game/post-game threads, they're full of people judging Barnes' recruiting. Basilio judges it as well.

The point of the thread is to ask if people think that trying to avoid rulebreaking/NCAA issues is one big reason why Barnes doesn't go after/get many big fish, considering what we've learned about the FBI investigation. People have different opinions on this based on how widespread they think the violations will go, which makes sense.

Obviously we have a good team and have had a good (edit: amazing) year, and I'm personally very happy with the players we have.

In that case no. Why wait? I mean, seriously, has anything else ever stopped Tennessee fans from passing judgement before? Why should the FBI change that? If we start doing things that make sense, nobody will recognize us, or will assume we have taken ill or something. Let loose.

:eek:hmy: :blink: :banghead2: :pinch: :eek: :realmad: :ill_h4h: :dry:

True. But that is true for literally every program going after these elite recruits running on the aau circuit.

Calipari's message to recruits is much different. "Don't worry about academics, I'm going to send you to the NBA in 1 year". While I think he is definitely involved, it is feasible that he has tapped into a certain recruiting method that will bring in elite talent, due to the fact that those recruits do not care about the academic side. I don't think most coaches are recruiting this way.

Reactions: 3 people
If CRB is snared up in this FBI investigation that involves his time at Tennessee he should be sent to the gallows.

Calipari's message to recruits is much different. "Don't worry about academics, I'm going to send you to the NBA in 1 year". While I think he is definitely involved, it is feasible that he has tapped into a certain recruiting method that will bring in elite talent, due to the fact that those recruits do not care about the academic side. I don't think most coaches are recruiting this way.

Which would actually make me think he has less of a reason to cheat of kids are already leaning into his way of recruiting

Barnes doesn't go after big fish because the pencil-neck administration won't let him "Calipari." He has done a helluva job coaching with - let's face it - a team that looks like a CUSA squad.
It will be extremely interesting to see how the geek squad who has handcuffed us interacts with Fulmer and Pruitt, who are used to winning by any means necessary. It should be a battle of wills. Get the popcorn.

If CRB is snared up in this FBI investigation that involves his time at Tennessee he should be sent to the gallows.

If he's dirty and this is the roster he came up with, I agree. No way you need to cheat to assemble this collection of talent.

If he's dirty and this is the roster he came up with, I agree. No way you need to cheat to assemble this collection of talent.

We are the fifth youngest team in the country, and were picked 13th in the conference. Have top 10 SOS, and sitting in 2nd in league play. We have talent, and CRB is a hellova coach.

Do we really expect a 4 or 5 star player to come to UT?

Wait until we get to the tourney (and better yet, sweet 16) before we have a reasonable chance at a top player. Our history is old.

CRB is doing a great job considering what he has to sell.

Complete BS. Not that Barnes isn't doing a good job, because he's doing a great job. We have a great product to sell so that's not the issue. Because of Pearl's misgivings and later Tyndall, Barnes chose to go after the solid 3 star and coach them up because, well, he can coach them up as we've seen. He knows having this type of season will attract more interest from the high 4 to 5 star players. He could have gotten them already. It has absolutely nothing to do with UT. There's plenty of successful basketball history here to fall back on

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back