The key to capitalizing and punishing mistakes

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
Hindsight's nearly always 20/20 because we instinctively look for ways to avoid similar pain in the future. The problem comes when you remember the pain but neither how nor exactly why it got there. It's frustrating because "We just don't know what we don't know."
- Unknown.

One of the biggest takeaways from last night's game (for me personally as a diehard fan of Tennessee)
was also the most frustrating because there were a lot of good opportunities that the team created that just didn't translate into points on the scoreboard like they should have.

That "big takeaway" I mentioned earlier was converting the advantages when they were available or "capitalizing" with execution that leads to points and the win instead of missing opportunities that led to the loss and frustration as a result.

Some of these missed opportunities were when Georgia would miss the shot and we'd (Tennessee) get the defensive rebound then fail to convert because of a turnover or ill-advised shot that gave it right back to the dawgs.

That's what I mean by "punishing mistakes." I mean we all know it's great to pull down that defensive board, but it's frustrating if only a few seconds pass and the ball is turned over out of bounds on an errant pass or the first open three pointer is attempted instead of looking for the open man closest to the basket.

The glaring sore thumb of a stat that stood out was Zer0 points scored in transition.

Coach Barnes expressed irritation about shot selection. I can see where he's coming from and I don't blame him or the team. Blame doesn't do anyone any good but I do think I can put my finger on the key to capitalizing on opportunities that were missed due to a lack of execution in transition.

It sounds simple on the surface but I believe it will work once put into practice (or more practice).

I think it would be a good return of investment on even just a little more time spent drilling the most common fastbreak scenarios when we have the numbers. I know you don't always have the numbers and that's when you wait to get set, but there are enough opportunities when you do have the numbers in transition that the extra attention given to this facet of the game could really pay off big time in the game.

Just a simple drill of 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's from halfcourt.

That way, once there's a steal or a long rebound, you don't have to come up with what to do in the heat of the battle but can more confidently rely on what's now reflexes because you drilled this scenario in practice.

That's not the majority of the game, but it's enough of it to where it could make the difference down the stretch in games like last night going forward.

Just a suggestion. (I don't like to be the guy who criticizes without offering a solution. I love this team and wouldn't share my thoughts about it if I didn't. I only write this so you know I'm not downing the team or Coach at all and I also don't want to come off like I'm providing some groundbreaking discovery with a know it all attitude or tone either. That's not my intent, but just the opposite.)

Please feel free to share your thoughts whether you agree or disagree because I'll be interested in the discussion either way.

Part of me thinks this is part of crazy basketball season with so much parity in conference. The other part of me says we've lost our mojo the last 3-4 games. When we're not in shut down aggressive D mode and outside shots aren't falling, we're in trouble. Gators and other probably feeling the same, but stings more, b/c we could easily be one back of first, if not tied w/ Aub if we took care of business against a few of these teams. It's not over either...unfortunately, all teams remaining on schedule can easily beat us if we don't show up.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe coach doesn't like the transition points because we have shown several times that we can't make a fast break 3 foot layup.:ermm::ermm::ermm:

You seriously don't think they drill fast breaks in practice?

There was a time early in the season where I don’t think we did enough (it was a bunch of 3 on 1s that resulted in covered shots). Now I think players have decided not to push it as much.

Reactions: 1 person
You seriously don't think they drill fast breaks in practice?

In light of the zero points in transition for a whole game, I don't think a little more attention to that area in practice could hurt is the meat of the suggestion.

(If you read it again, you'll see I made that distinction twice. I made the effort to preemptively avoid any misunderstanding, but based on your feedback, I'll know to put the main point in there three times instead of two and add some bold and italics to it just so it doesn't happen again with future threads because I believe you just didn't see it.

I'll repost the two instances of it here for you though so that you don't have to go back and reread to save you the time: [1st instance] put into practice (or more practice). [2nd] even just a little more time spent drilling.)

VN Store

Back