Barnes and His Recruiting

VolFreakJosh

“Don’t you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!”
I’ve seen so many complaints from several posters about Barnes not being able to land highly touted players.

At first, we complained about not having a coach who can develop players while Cuonzo was the HC. Now we’re complaining about not recruiting well enough to win games since Barnes has been here.

So which one is it? I’m confused.

I think some of us forget that UT is NOT as attractive in basketball going up against schools like UK, Duke, NC, Kansas.

I’m not saying it isn’t possible but on the other hand, most of these kids now haven’t seen UT basketball really accomplish anything the last several years.

It’s a harder sell than you might think.

No, this argument isn’t about defending this loss tonight or taking a shot at Barnes.

I’m just wondering what exactly do you mean by, “He needs to recruit better?”

Reactions: 5 people
In short...most seem to be of the mindset that “damn Barnes is doing a great coaching job, better than I expected. However we had now lost 7 games and there’s room for improvement, would this team be even better if it had a couple of 4* on it instead of say Fulkerson and Darrington”?

It’s a valid question and point...and obviously more glaring after a L. I definitely think there’s areas you can point to where this team is lacking, is it something that is fixed with development or is it something that talent fixes? Not sure anyone knows the answer for sure right now, but the rest of the season will probably give us a little bit better of an idea.

Reactions: 7 people
Around 2 or 3 legit four star players that aren't undersized or need serious body transformations. I'm not saying we need to go out get all these one and done players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I’ve seen so many complaints from several posters about Barnes not being able to land highly touted players.

At first, we complained about not having a coach who can develop players while Cuonzo was the HC. Now we’re complaining about not recruiting well enough to win games since Barnes has been here.

So which one is it? I’m confused.

I think some of us forget that UT is NOT as attractive in basketball going up against schools like UK, Duke, NC, Kansas.

I’m not saying it isn’t possible but on the other hand, most of these kids now haven’t seen UT basketball really accomplish anything the last several years.

It’s a harder sell than you might think.

No, this argument isn’t about defending this loss tonight or taking a shot at Barnes.

I’m just wondering what exactly do you mean by, “He needs to recruit better?”
Uh, basically every school in the SEC has been signing 4 and 5 star players.
Barnes has not signed a 5-star since here. Schools like Miss. state, Auburn, and Vandy should not be out recruiting UT.

Uh, basically every school in the SEC has been signing 4 and 5 star players.
Barnes has not signed a 5-star since here. Schools like Miss. state, Auburn, and Vandy should not be out recruiting UT.

Yet Tennessee is ahead of those schools, except Auburn, in the standings

Reactions: 9 people
Yet Tennessee is ahead of those schools, except Auburn, in the standings

True. I just don't see it as a model of long term success. I think Barnes has gotten a lot out of what he has. That doesn't excuse his lack of recruiting. Bama and UGA really exposed UT.

Last year's team totally folded down the stretch. This team is deeper and has lasted longer, but they look spent. Maybe they can find a 2nd wind.

True. I just don't see it as a model of long term success. I think Barnes has gotten a lot out of what he has. That doesn't excuse his lack of recruiting. Bama and UGA really exposed UT.

Last year's team totally folded down the stretch. This team is deeper and has lasted longer, but they look spent. Maybe they can find a 2nd wind.

Will be interesting to see how the final 4 games go...I think people are quick to forget this team returns 12/13 players, hard to imagine they wouldn’t be any better.

Reactions: 2 people
Your short term memory isn't very good. Pearl had no issues signing top recruits. Crews, Ramar Smith, Chism, Tyler Smith, Prince, Hopson, Hubbs,Maymon, etc.

No, we're not Duke, but we can attract enough top talent to compete for SEC championships. This has been proven by Mears, Devoe, O'Neil (stacked the roster), Peterson (put together roster that Pearl took to a no.2 seed), and Pearl.

Reactions: 6 people
Barnes recruited Durant, Aldridge,
Ford, and Augustine, let's see what happens with Anfernee Simons before we call Barnes recruiting a bust.

Reactions: 4 people
Teams like Alabama, Texas AM, Fla, and Georgia are going to pick up highly recruited guys here and there because they are homers. The state of Tennessee produces very few highly ranked BB players so we have to expand. Since we aren't a national brand in BB, it makes it tough.

CRB has to grind out three or four seasons like this one in order to lure a four or five star in.

...or, you can always go with the quick fix, like Pearl. We might want to wait about three more years, though, until his next show cause has expired...lol.

Reactions: 3 people
Your short term memory isn't very good. Pearl had no issues signing top recruits. Crews, Ramar Smith, Chism, Tyler Smith, Prince, Hopson, Hubbs,Maymon, etc.

No, we're not Duke, but we can attract enough top talent to compete for SEC championships. This has been proven by Mears, Devoe, O'Neil (stacked the roster), Peterson (put together roster that Pearl took to a no.2 seed), and Pearl.

Isn't Pearl about to get hammered by the FBI? (and some of the main top tier schools)

I'm pretty good with my young second place in the SEC team

Reactions: 1 person
Teams like Alabama, Texas AM, Fla, and Georgia are going to pick up highly recruited guys here and there because they are homers. The state of Tennessee produces very few highly ranked BB players so we have to expand. Since we aren't a national brand in BB, it makes it tough.

CRB has to grind out three or four seasons like this one in order to lure a four or five star in.

...or, you can always go with the quick fix, like Pearl. We might want to wait about three more years, though, until his next show cause has expired...lol.

Tennessee produces several 4 and 5 star players each year. Problem currently is Drew is getting them To go to Vandy.

Overall were far better than expected with a roster made up of mostly freshmen and sophomores. We need to win three of these last four SEC game and end up 12 and 6. No reason to lose at home so we need to split the Mississippi games. I hope we win both but winning on the road in the SEC is difficult. We are 3 and 4 if we can get one more on the road will be totally satisfied with what this team has done on the road this season.

This is absolutely 100% false. Pretty much every word in this post is wrong.

Well we aren’t recruiting them so.....
I don't understand that either.. Barnes recruiting at least here has been the least impressive thing he's done. This team needs a true point guard that drives to the basket and creates his own shot. A big man that doesn't get the ball stuffed back in his face because the guys he's trying to post up are 3 or 4 inches taller than him..

Agree. I live in GA. I see all the news about the GA. BB team. Georgia is not very good and we lose to them. Bama blasted us. Barnes was a just another quick hire like Jones.
I don't think we will ever get to the next level with this guy.

TN actually produces a good amount of basketball talent. Not as much as Texas, FL, or GA. But there is a ton of talent in TN and it's getting better (in both sports).

This is absolutely 100% false. Pretty much every word in this post is wrong.

The first sentence is correct. Those schools have better talent at their disposal, closer in proximity. It's not even debatable.

While I understand there is talent in TN, there is very little talent in East TN.

Agree. I live in GA. I see all the news about the GA. BB team. Georgia is not very good and we lose to them. Bama blasted us. Barnes was a just another quick hire like Jones.
I don't think we will ever get to the next level with this guy.

A loss to UGA, and the sky is falling. Considering the current climate in college basketball, let's give it some time.

Crews, Ramar Smith and Tyler Smith were guys you don't want on your team. All 3 were kicked off at some pint. Hopson was the worst 5 star in the country. Prince and Maymon were transfers

A loss to UGA, and the sky is falling. Considering the current climate in college basketball, let's give it some time.

The drive bys, yes, but I think it's a valid concern and not just because we lost to Georgia, I think it's how our play has fallen off the past 4 games. The UK game was pretty much overlooked because we never win at UK.

VN Store

Back