Barnes needs to go 4-guards when Grant is shut down

Volle

Georgia's bigs just shut out Grant, like Bama did, tough matchup.

I'd rather go small along with Alexander in games like this and shoot more 3's. When Grant gets less than 10 points, it's hard to make that up when the other team gets 2x the points in the the paint.

36 percent as a team not going to win very often. We got 61 shots to their 47 but they shot a much higher percentage. Game two last game of the season we need to get revenge in Knoxville.

Grant is fine out there even in games where he is outmatched, he just can't be our only option. I don't like playing Bowden at the 4 and you can't play Schofield there all game.

We need to pick up a big man next year but I think we are going after a guard.

Reactions: 1 person
When Grant having off night, I go back to Barnes describing how we need to drive to the basket to create foul shots, and go to the hoop, or create open pass...inside out...yet we just don't run our offense. Part of it, for sure is SEC grind, where everyone knows everyone's tendencies, and think it will fare well for us in NCAA, but we've got to figure out how to grind these last four games out. Conference is so balanced, and we've got to do our thing or we'll have an early exit in SECT and NCAA's. If we get our mojo back, we can play with anyone...but haven't seen that in past 3 games.

It’s not really going to matter what the lineup is until everyone gets their heads out of their butts. Alexander and Turner were the only ones that looked like they wanted to play. Everyone else is in a huge funk, including Grant. They all need to look themselves in the mirror and do some soul searching. The last 3 game stretch has been the worst of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
When Grant having off night, I go back to Barnes describing how we need to drive to the basket to create foul shots, and go to the hoop, or create open pass...inside out...yet we just don't run our offense. Part of it, for sure is SEC grind, where everyone knows everyone's tendencies, and think it will fare well for us in NCAA, but we've got to figure out how to grind these last four games out. Conference is so balanced, and we've got to do our thing or we'll have an early exit in SECT and NCAA's. If we get our mojo back, we can play with anyone...but haven't seen that in past 3 games.

Believe it or not, our last 2 best runs (2010 elite 8 and 2014 sweet 16) were after both teams faltered down the stretch of the season. Not saying it's a good thing but you make a good point about knowing each other's tendencies in conference. We need to get back that " in your grill" attitude on defense like we had during our winning streak and we could make a tourney run.

We need another point guard and rim protector.

I think Alexander is a helluva rim protector, Williams is more than serviceable at the 4...a year of development for the other guys and add Kent into the mix and I like what we’ve got down low. Now if a grad transfer 6’10”+ guy comes open then I would explore that, but I definitely think a PG that can break down the defense is more of a need...but maybe Bone takes that next step? That’s the biggest takeaway I see from our guards, I watch other teams and continually see PGs beating guys off the dribble and getting into the lane, ours either can’t or don’t.

We need another point guard and rim protector.

Yes, we need a point guard and a big shot blocking rebounder. Play Williams at the 4, Admiral at 3, and Turner and Bone at the two. A for real high level PG to run the offense and get the 4 scorers the ball and a big man to rebound and defend the rim and this team could be final four level good.

Believe it or not, our last 2 best runs (2010 elite 8 and 2014 sweet 16) were after both teams faltered down the stretch of the season. Not saying it's a good thing but you make a good point about knowing each other's tendencies in conference. We need to get back that " in your grill" attitude on defense like we had during our winning streak and we could make a tourney run.

Agree with you on getting the attitude back. To me, 2010 team was diff than 2014. We thoroughly enjoyed the ride of the 2010 team, but the 2014, for as well as they played in the tourney was entirely frustrating...not playing well until they all got pissed that fans were ripping on them and coaches for not playing to their potential.

Barnes always says D comes first, and we've not "had it" good enough recently, which leads to dysfunctional offense. Hope they come around...we're deep enough...we shouldn't be as worn out as other teams. Maybe all teams to thru it, but hope they figure it out.

Yes, we need a point guard and a big shot blocking rebounder. Play Williams at the 4, Admiral at 3, and Turner and Bone at the two. A for real high level PG to run the offense and get the 4 scorers the ball and a big man to rebound and defend the rim and this team could be final four level good.

I don't think Bone at the 2 is a good idea. He can't shoot

I promise there has never been a game where UT hasn't lost because of the refs.
...and your 'promise' means what to us?

...and you're ready to lay out some stats? You've got some proof? Personally, I think it isn't tied to any team. I think the refs are horrible in the SEC--maybe other places too. They call the game to appease the home crowd. Look at the difference in calls for the home team versus the away team. I've not done any analysis, but I'd be shocked if the home team doesn't get many, many more foul shots, breaks, 50/50 calls, etc. Just a testimonial to the subjective bs that is basketball officiating, anywhere, on any level.

You have a good season because you get the home cooking at your place, you beat other teams on neutral courts, and you blow out people on their courts. If you leave it even fairly close on the other guy's court, you'll probably lose.

A sham of a game, due to the subjectiveness of it all..

Reactions: 2 people
I promise there has never been a game where UK hasn't lost because of the refs.

fyp, LC, since Rupps Rafters has long ago perfected the art of blaming refs for every loss.

Every message board has a handful of fans who blame the refs.

...and your 'promise' means what to us?

...and you're ready to lay out some stats? You've got some proof? Personally, I think it isn't tied to any team. I think the refs are horrible in the SEC--maybe other places too. They call the game to appease the home crowd. Look at the difference in calls for the home team versus the away team. I've not done any analysis, but I'd be shocked if the home team doesn't get many, many more foul shots, breaks, 50/50 calls, etc. Just a testimonial to the subjective bs that is basketball officiating, anywhere, on any level.

You have a good season because you get the home cooking at your place, you beat other teams on neutral courts, and you blow out people on their courts. If you leave it even fairly close on the other guy's court, you'll probably lose.

A sham of a game, due to the subjectiveness of it all..

Absolutely true about the home cooking calls. Studies have shown refs are way more likely to call fouls on the visiting teams.

Honestly would have no idea how to quantify a referee's bias. Free throws can be misleading. Faster, taller, and better players are going to draw more fouls against worse players. Just a fact of the game. Unless you literally went game by game and counted missed calls (which would be subjective right there) it's impossible to speak with accuracy. I've done that for a few games, and typically it's not been crazy one-sided fwiw.

All I know, and this is my point, that I have yet to see a game go by where the refs didn't screw UT over (according to VN). Is my comment somewhat sarcastic and tongue-and-cheek? Sure.

Basketball is a game played at such an intense and close level. Refereeing it is near impossible. Definitely needs some adjusting though. I'm almost convinced the players would do better if they called fouls themselves as if it was a pickup game.

VN Store

Back