All things SEC tournament

CladInOrange

Figured we could use a thread devoted to all things SEC Tournament. Where do you think the Vols will end up seed wise? Ever been to St. Louis? Desirable/less desirable matchups? Double bye? NCAA tourney implications?

Reactions: 1 person
It appears that UK looks to be aligning with the 7 seed, would be an unfavorable draw to face them if we can hold on to the 2 seed.

SEC Tourney is a waste IMO. How many times do we have to play the same teams over and over, when dozens and dozens of intriguing NCAA matchups are available? Just take the conference champion and roll with it. Geeesh.

I vote we boycott the damn thing and get ready for the NCAA tourney

I wish Barnes would just play all the walk ons, lose by forty and go get ready for the NCAA. That may embolden some others. Or get him fired :crazy:

I like the fan aspect of SEC Tourney, this will be my 14th straight year. Always cool to see opposing fans and just kicking back and watching basketball for a few days.

Reactions: 3 people
If we want higher than a 4 seed, we're going to have to win at least 1 game in the SEC tournament, even if we win out in the regular season.

Teams we'd like to face...
Vandy, USCe, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss

Teams we'd like to avoid...
Bama, aTm, Arkansas, Kentucky

Unknowns...
Florida, MSU

Auburn and Missouri are teams I feel we can beat in a rematch, and so I don't fear the individual matchups between us and them like I do with Bama, aTm, Arkansas, and UK.

•Bama is a bad matchup for us.
•aTm is just loaded with talent, and a potential world-beater anytime out.
•Arkansas plays at a pace that I don't like to see us play. As we demonstrated, they can evaporate decent leads in no time when you allow them to play at their pace.
•UK will have the home court advantage like always, and it's hard to beat a team 3 times.

Teams we'd like to face...
Vandy, USCe, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss

Teams we'd like to avoid...
Bama, aTm, Arkansas, Kentucky

Unknowns...
Florida, MSU

Auburn and Missouri are teams I feel we can beat in a rematch, and so I don't fear the individual matchups between us and them like I do with Bama, aTm, Arkansas, and UK.

•Bama is a bad matchup for us.
•aTm is just loaded with talent, and a potential world-beater anytime out.
•Arkansas plays at a pace that I don't like to see us play. As we demonstrated, they can evaporate decent leads in no time when you allow them to play at their pace.
•UK will have the home court advantage like always, and it's hard to beat a team 3 times.

If we're a 2 seed we're mostly likely going to have to face one of those team you list we want to avoid.

Right now...

Wednesday:
#14 Vandy plays #11 LSU
#13 Ole Miss plays #12 USCe

Thursday:
#9 aTm plays #8 MSU
OM/LSU winner plays #5 Bama
#10 Georgia plays #7 UK
Vandy/LSU winner plays #6 Arkansas

Friday:
aTm/MSU winner plays #1 Auburn
OM/USCe/Bama winner plays #4 Florida
Georgia/UK winner plays #2 Tennessee
Vandy/LSU/Arky winner plays #3 Mizzou

Some of that is subject to change based on to be determined tiebreaker, but that's it with 2 weeks to play.

I could honestly see UGA beating UK on Thursday, and that puts Arky as the only possibility of playing a team we dont want to face again.

With such a logjam, this could change pretty significantly with 5 games to play, but it's fun to monitor.

I'd rather play UK than Georgia. Maten can take over a game. I'd take my chances with the young Wildcats

I'd rather play UK than Georgia. Maten can take over a game. I'd take my chances with the young Wildcats

I’d like to see how we look against them tomorrow, but yeah, I don’t think they’re a great matchup for us.

Georgia has Yante Maten, and then...

Their guard play is not such that should give us trouble, and we have the bodies in the paint to hang with Maten. He may get his 20, but no one else on that roster scares me.

We shoot significantly better from the field, from the FT line, and from 3. Defensively, we average more steals and more blocks per game. They average 2 more rebs per game, but ORebs are nearly identical. They've lost six of their last 8 games, with both wins coming against Florida, whom they have the advantage in the paint. They don't have that advantage over us.

What exactly makes them a bad matchup for us?

Georgia has Yante Maten, and then...

Their guard play is not such that should give us trouble, and we have the bodies in the paint to hang with Maten. He may get his 20, but no one else on that roster scares me.

We shoot significantly better from the field, from the FT line, and from 3. Defensively, we average more steals and more blocks per game. They average 2 more rebs per game, but ORebs are nearly identical. They've lost six of their last 8 games, with both wins coming against Florida, whom they have the advantage in the paint. They don't have that advantage over us.

What exactly makes them a bad matchup for us?

They also have Ogbeide who while he doesn’t put up huge numbers is a senior with a lot of experience and he goes 6’8” 240lbs. They don’t have great length inside, but I’m also not sure Williams or Schofield is going to be able to move either Ogbeide or Maten, probably to an extent gonna have to try and use quickness. Their best feature as a team is that they rebound very well, especially offensive, if we can win or even keep the rebounding even and especially their offensive boards limited I think we win the game.

First time the SEC Tournament has been held in St. Louis and the two teams I would hate to face at this point are Alabama and Missouri.

I think Missouri has a home court advantage with the tournament in St. Louis.

It should be a wide open and exciting tournament.

They also have Ogbeide who while he doesn’t put up huge numbers is a senior with a lot of experience and he goes 6’8” 240lbs. They don’t have great length inside, but I’m also not sure Williams or Schofield is going to be able to move either Ogbeide or Maten, probably to an extent gonna have to try and use quickness. Their best feature as a team is that they rebound very well, especially offensive, if we can win or even keep the rebounding even and especially their offensive boards limited I think we win the game.

They average 11.9 ORebs/gm, which isn't even top-5 in the conference. We average 11.7, ourselves. I'm not seeing the decisive advantage there. Per 40 minutes, Ogbeide is about the same level of effectiveness as Derrick Walker.

I just feel like we have handled every team with a good frontcourt this year: aTm and Purdue, for example. In five of our six losses, we have faced teams with good scoring guards: Auburn, Arkansas, Villanova, UNC, and Bama. Mizzou was an anomaly.

I don't go that far, but I do think it's mostly a waste of time and energy if you've already wrapped up an NCAAT bid. I get a good run can set a tone for the NCAAT, but it just seems like we never play that well. Even in the Pearl and Green years we didn't, and even the year we made the SECT Championship, we played terribly in it.

I don't go that far, but I do think it's mostly a waste of time and energy if you've already wrapped up an NCAAT bid. I get a good run can set a tone for the NCAAT, but it just seems like we never play that well. Even in the Pearl and Green years we didn't usually, and even the year we made the SECT Championship, we played terribly in it, and we were 1 and done in the NCAAT.

I disagree, I think it gets the team in the mindset of lose and go home and prepares them for NCAA tourney.

VN Store

Back