We are now in second place alone.

Vfl2407

Georgia’s upset at Florida did that.
Auburn’s win over UK prob cemented first place fir them.
Just imagine the conference office having to hand Pearl a trophy.

Reactions: 13 people
As others have said, double bye would be awesome. When was the last time we had a double bye in the SECT?

We are in a good spot, for sure. But still a lot of basketball. Though we are 9 of last 10 or so, still feel we are playing kinda like Nova lately and have lost a little of what got us to second place in sec the last two games... Solid D, good rebounding, and inside out play on offense. When we don't play our game we can lose to any of the teams left, except maybe Ole Miss...though have to give kudos for figuring out how to win vs SC on an off night.

Reactions: 4 people
We achieved sole possession of second place last week.
The loss to Bama knocked us out till we got back on track with the victory over SC.
I don't see Auburn losing first place, but we can hold a firm grip on second barring any meltdowns over the next few games.

Reactions: 1 person
Im sure the SEC office is wetting themselves not having Ky and Fla on top. Surprised they haven’t changed the rules so they will be!

Reactions: 3 people
I got to thinking that Hammy may have been a better AD than we gave him credit for. He hired two of three best SEC basketball coaches currently to Tennessee. If Pearl wouldn't have lied and Kiffin wouldn't have left, which neither were his fault, would he still be AD here? However, after a few minutes of quiet deliberation I finally remembered he hired Dools and Raleigh and my Theory went straight to hell.

Reactions: 8 people
As others have said, double bye would be awesome. When was the last time we had a double bye in the SECT?

Have we ever?

I didn't think we went to this format until just a few years ago but I am getting old

We achieved sole possession of second place last week.
The loss to Bama knocked us out till we got back on track with the victory over SC.
I don't see Auburn losing first place, but we can hold a firm grip on second barring any meltdowns over the next few games.

The three teams behind us who are one game back are mizzou, bama, and florida, meaning they either own or could potentially own a tiebreaker over us. Arkansas is currently in 6th (2 games back) and they would also own the tiebreaker.

Basically what I'm saying is it doesn't take a meltdown to drop from second to 5th and lose the double bye. All it really takes is a loss to Florida. Now they may all lose games too, but you get what I'm saying. No such thing as a safe spot this year.

Reactions: 4 people
We gotta have the fortitude to beat a Georgia team that has given us hell for the past couple years. Sick of losing to them.

Reactions: 5 people
Cuonzo's last year we finished 4th and had a double bye in 2014.

Thanks. I may be losing it but I didn't think they went to this format until a few years ago.

But to my defense I hate the SEC tourney and wish it didn't exist so ignore it for the most part. I seriously want us to be one and done and get rested up for the NCAA tourney

Last edited:
Cuonzo finished 4th and had double byes in both 2012 and 2014.

Edit: only 2014 was a double bye. A&M and Mizz weren't in the SEC in 2012. TN had the #2 seed in 2012 and won a 3-way tiebreaker. In 2012 8 teams played day 1 and 4 had single byes.

The current double-bye format began when the SEC expanded to 14 teams in 2012 (2013 SECT).

Missouri sat out 2016 so there were 7 single-byes instead of 6. TN v Auburn was the only opening round game (#12 v #13).

Last edited:
I got to thinking that Hammy may have been a better AD than we gave him credit for. He hired two of three best SEC basketball coaches currently to Tennessee. If Pearl wouldn't have lied and Kiffin wouldn't have left, which neither were his fault, would he still be AD here? However, after a few minutes of quiet deliberation I finally remembered he hired Dools and Raleigh and my Theory went straight to hell.

I'm guessing you're thinking Hamilton hired Barnes.

Edit: nevermind, read it wrong.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he means Bruce and Cuonzo.

Oh yeah, I read that wrong, I thought he said hired 2 of the best basketball coaches to UT, meaning best UT basketball coaches ever.

I'm going to say at the time he got Martin because he was safe and cheap.

Agree with you on Pearl but Kiffin? Holy chit ballz, no effin way.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh yeah, I read that wrong, I thought he said hired 2 of the best basketball coaches to UT, meaning best UT basketball coaches ever.

I'm going to say at the time he got Martin because he was safe and cheap.

Martin is a better coach now than he was then. He was a bad hire for us then. We could have done better.

He has been smart to move as much as he has cause I think if he had stayed here another year he would have been fired and I think the same thing for Cal. The roster he left there is one of the worst in P5 basketball. They are atrocious. And his team had an absolute collapse down the stretch last year to miss the tourney. They were 18-6 and tanked.

I'm still not sold on him as a coach and especially not as a program builder.

We haven't won anything yet. The conference is so balanced that we could fall way down the list if we tank.

When looking at the schedule, it would appear that we are at the easy part of the schedule, but for some reason, having 3 away games, having to play Florida at home, and getting Georgia as our last game, I just do not feel like any wins are a given.

We could easily hang on to 2nd place (with Auburn having to vacate #1) or we could easily fall way down the list. Again, we have a lot of opportunity ahead of us, but we haven't secured anything yet.

VN Store

Back