Question about SC game

volsfan199

Last night in the second half, when SC hit a three and we got called for a foul, why was Sc awarded the ball again and allowed to score another bucket? Was at the game and didnt understand the sequence of play.

Last night in the second half, when SC hit a three and we got called for a foul, why was Sc awarded the ball again and allowed to score another bucket? Was at the game and didnt understand the sequence of play.

They called a phantom foul on the boxout after the shot. Because it was like a dead ball, USC got the ball back

Reactions: 2 people
That was terrible. How can they call a jump ball when the ball isn't even held for more than half a second? It should have been considered a batted ball and resulted in a shot clock violation.

Or a walk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the USCe player never lost possession. He went up with the ball, Tennessee player smacked it, but never knocked it loose, and USCe player came back down with it. That's a travel.

Last edited:
Or a walk. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the USCe player never lost possession. He went up with the ball, Tennessee player smacked it, by never knocked it loose, and USCe player came back down with it. That's a travel.

That used to be called up and down, and was consistently called a walk. Now, if a player leaves his feet to shoot and the shot is blocked without leaving the shooters hands and he comes back down, it is consistently called a held ball.

There was no time left on the shot clock, so it was a terrible call. ( I could see the shot clock when the whistle was blown.) On the replay they showed at the arena, you couldn't see the shot clock. I assume that is what the refs saw. On the other hand, we should have defended the in-bounds play better.

Reactions: 1 person
Probably the worst call last night and there were a lot of them to choose from.

It’s been a pretty major trend in all of college basketball this season for the refs to tighten up in the 2nd half, more specifically the last 10 minutes and it’s effecting the game. At a certain point you gotta let them play a little bit IMO.

It’s obviously typical for a ton of dead ball clock stoppage down the stretch of a close game but as others above have mentioned this particular call gave SC an instant five point swing and put them back into the game. I’m glad we got the win but the final score is a piss poor representation of what took place on the court.

I hope we get Big East refs during the tournament.

That was terrible. How can they call a jump ball when the ball isn't even held for more than half a second? It should have been considered a batted ball and resulted in a shot clock violation.

I agree with this.They went and looked at it and still got it wrong.Should have been Vols ball on shot clock!

That used to be called up and down, and was consistently called a walk. Now, if a player leaves his feet to shoot and the shot is blocked without leaving the shooters hands and he comes back down, it is consistently called a held ball.

There was no time left on the shot clock, so it was a terrible call. ( I could see the shot clock when the whistle was blown.) On the replay they showed at the arena, you couldn't see the shot clock. I assume that is what the refs saw. On the other hand, we should have defended the in-bounds play better.

IIRC, TN had a hand on the ball twice. The first time you can see the shot clock at 2. The 2nd time it would have gone to zero. So they must have considered that the first time is when it was tied up but they didn't stop play.

The issue is that, by rule, they couldn't change the held ball call via video review. A held ball call is not reviewable. So all they were reviewing was whether or not the "held ball" happened before or after the shot clock expired. If you look at the replay, it clearly happened with a second on the clock (such as it was...it was pretty clearly not actually a held ball). So, they put a second back on and gave South Carolina the ball on the possession arrow.

It shouldn't have been a walk, either, because the ball was briefly knocked out of the shooter's possession while he was going up, so he's allowed to regain possession and land. But, the shot clock expired when he landed, so it would've been a shot clock violation.

The issue is that, by rule, they couldn't change the held ball call via video review. A held ball call is not reviewable. So all they were reviewing was whether or not the "held ball" happened before or after the shot clock expired. If you look at the replay, it clearly happened with a second on the clock (such as it was...it was pretty clearly not actually a held ball). So, they put a second back on and gave South Carolina the ball on the possession arrow.

It shouldn't have been a walk, either, because the ball was briefly knocked out of the shooter's possession while he was going up, so he's allowed to regain possession and land. But, the shot clock expired when he landed, so it would've been a shot clock violation.

Was it knocked loose? I seem to remember that it wasn't, but I could be wrong.

Was it knocked loose? I seem to remember that it wasn't, but I could be wrong.

I thought it was for a split-second, though I 'd have to watch it again to be sure. Obviously in this situation, it should've been a turnover either way, so it doesn't really matter.

Regardless, a held ball should only be called in this situation when the defender keeps his hand on the ball until the offensive player lands. The propensity of NCAA officials to call held balls at the drop of a hat is ridiculous, especially when the possession arrow is such a crappy rule.

In the NBA, where it could be argued that they're gonna jump it anyway so you might as well have more of an itchy trigger finger on the held ball, they absolutely never call it unless it's a true dual possession.

I thought it was for a split-second, though I 'd have to watch it again to be sure. Obviously in this situation, it should've been a turnover either way, so it doesn't really matter.

Regardless, a held ball should only be called in this situation when the defender keeps his hand on the ball until the offensive player lands. The propensity of NCAA officials to call held balls at the drop of a hat is ridiculous, especially when the possession arrow is such a crappy rule.

In the NBA, where it could be argued that they're gonna jump it anyway so you might as well have more of an itchy trigger finger on the held ball, they absolutely never call it unless it's a true dual possession.

I agree, they are too quick to make that call in that situation, and not quick enough to call it when guys are jumping all over each other on the floor.

5 point swing. Helped SC back in it for sure.

Was actually a 7 point swing because right before that was when Alexander tipped in the missed shot but they called goal tending even though the ball was completely out of the cylinder. The refs bad calls had a lot to do with SC getting back in that game.

Was actually a 7 point swing because right before that was when Alexander tipped in the missed shot but they called goal tending even though the ball was completely out of the cylinder. The refs bad calls had a lot to do with SC getting back in that game.

I still haven't checked the DVR on the goal tending, but right after it happened Bert said that KA had touched the net. It happened right in front of him. As it happened live I thought that it was coming out, but it was still in the cylinder. I didn't have the best angle though.

VN Store

Back