Coach of Year if Vols finish second?

Vfl2407

In the pre season poll, Auburn was picked 9th and the Vols 13th.
So, if Auburn finishes first and we finish second, does Pearl automatically win COY or should Barnes get serious consideration?

In the pre season poll, Auburn was picked 9th and the Vols 13th.
So, if Auburn finishes first and we finish second, does Pearl automatically win COY or should Barnes get serious consideration?

Except that our program isn't under FBI investigation and
isn't refusing to cooperate. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess.

Reactions: 2 people
Except that our program isn't under FBI investigation and
isn't refusing to cooperate. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess.

I thought I saw that the FBI is dropping the charges?

Did they drop the charges? Pearl's background is not pretty, I hope Rick Barnes gets it. We were suppose to stink up the place.

I thought I saw that the FBI is dropping the charges?

Maybe Chuck Person is taking the fall, I know he is looking at quite a bit of time if it all goes wrong for him (like it already hasn't). Here is a laugher

"You have limitations, and yet I will never be false or misleading," Pearl said. "There are a lot of things I can't say and a lot I don't know. In fact, a lot of the things in the investigation I still don't know about."

Would look pretty bad for SEC Coach of the year to go down due to violations AGAIN.

Reactions: 4 people
Both would be deserving...if voters knew Auburn wouldn’t have Wiley or Purifoy then they probably would’ve been picked about 11-12, so he’s done a hell of a job...as has Cuonzo.

It’s close between those 3 right now and probably will go to the regular season winner, JMO.

Without a doubt Pearl & Barnes are the runaway front runners. I'm not sure if any the FBI investigation plays into Pearl's chances, probably a non factor. If Auburn wins the SEC I think Bruce gets it, if not it goes to Barnes.

Reactions: 3 people
Without a doubt Pearl & Barnes are the runaway front runners. I'm not sure if any the FBI investigation plays into Pearl's chances, probably a non factor. If Auburn wins the SEC I think Bruce gets it, if not it goes to Barnes.

This.

Not sure if Pearl's baggage will be overlooked such that he's judged on this season's results alone?

This. Pearl is still viewed by some media, and probably the majority of SEC coaches as the black sheep. He will need to run away with the conference title if Tennessee finishes second, IMO, to win COY. Barnes has done more with less, IMO, and probably deserves it. A lot of voters are going to look at how Pearl has recruited and wonder how it took this long (4th season) to start winning. He's landed nine 4*s and a 5* in his time there, yet prior to this year, he had a losing record in three seasons (44-54).

Theoretically, he should only be judged on this year, but the human element is likely to factor in, and there are just some voters who will look for a reason not to give it to him.

You all forget the SEC basketball media is lazy, just like them picking up to finish 13th. They will look at the rankings and standings at end of year and pick the top coach, most likely Pearl. They wont look at any backstory or talent disparity to judge the actual best coach.

You all forget the SEC basketball media is lazy, just like them picking up to finish 13th. They will look at the rankings and standings at end of year and pick the top coach, most likely Pearl. They wont look at any backstory or talent disparity to judge the actual best coach.

If it were anyone but Pearl, I'd probably agree.

Yeah. Media eats him up too.

If they make the tourney I bet he gets it.

IDGAS about these dumb awards. They are similar to the heisman.

They are designed for media to create narrative$. Thus the utter corrupt nature of them.

VN Store

Back