BTO’s South Carolina postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. A win is a win, but after what we watched Saturday that game tonight doesn’t give you a whole lot of confidence that it was a fluke. We looked good in stretches tonight which is the silver lining, but Georgia is a better opponent and it’s on the road, it will take a better effort to win in Athens.

2. Grant Williams had a very nice game and came through huge with the clutch shot, would’ve liked to have seen us get it into him a little more and he deserved it as evidenced by his 7-10fg on the night.

3. This is about the 3rd straight game we have struggled shooting from deep, Daniel has really been cold, Bowden was a little better tonight...but if we are going to be a 33% three point shooting team we need to rethink our offensive strategy a little bit, hopefully guys find their stroke but that’s 3 games in a row well below our season average.

4. I’m not sure what warranted Jordan Bone not playing the final, what seemed like 5-6 minutes? I thought Bone had played a pretty nice game up to that point, 4ast 0to but instead went with Daniel who finished with 0ast 4to??? I’m curious as to the explanation on that one from Barnes, and while I’m questioning that I can’t really put my finger on it but he didn’t seem quite as into it tonight. It almost appeared like he was willing to let his guys keep letting SC back into it and take a L to make a point if it happened, we are into mid-February, this isn’t the time for that so hopefully that wasn’t the case.

5. Again a win is a win, we are 19-6(9-4) tied for 2nd in the SEC, ranked nationally and looking at a favorable NCAAT seed. The season could end tomorrow and it would be considered a success, but nobody wants to limp down the stretch and then fall on our faces, hopefully this team can regroup and find the level of play they are capbale of playing at.

Reactions: 12 people
Maybe Barnes is trying to get the kinks out of Daniel's game before tourney time.
Did you catch what he was screaming at him? Could hear him over everyone in the house. Daniel just smiled.

Reactions: 2 people
1. A win is a win, but after what we watched Saturday that game tonight doesn’t give you a whole lot of confidence that it was a fluke. We looked good in stretches tonight which is the silver lining, but Georgia is a better opponent and it’s on the road, it will take a better effort to win in Athens.

2. Grant Williams had a very nice game and came through huge with the clutch shot, would’ve liked to have seen us get it into him a little more and he deserved it as evidenced by his 7-10fg on the night.

3. This is about the 3rd straight game we have struggled shooting from deep, Daniel has really been cold, Bowden was a little better tonight...but if we are going to be a 33% three point shooting team we need to rethink our offensive strategy a little bit, hopefully guys find their stroke but that’s 3 games in a row well below our season average.

4. I’m not sure what warranted Jordan Bone not playing the final, what seemed like 5-6 minutes? I thought Bone had played a pretty nice game up to that point, 4ast 0to but instead went with Daniel who finished with 0ast 4to??? I’m curious as to the explanation on that one from Barnes, and while I’m questioning that I can’t really put my finger on it but he didn’t seem quite as into it tonight. It almost appeared like he was willing to let his guys keep letting SC back into it and take a L to make a point if it happened, we are into mid-February, this isn’t the time for that so hopefully that wasn’t the case.

5. Again a win is a win, we are 19-6(9-4) tied for 2nd in the SEC, ranked nationally and looking at a favorable NCAAT seed. The season could end tomorrow and it would be considered a success, but nobody wants to limp down the stretch and then fall on our faces, hopefully this team can regroup and find the level of play they are capbale of playing at.

The part that bothers me is we were up 14 and then later 9-10 and both times we let them right back in the game, and I'm not buying it's because they "wanted it". It was more we started playing lazy and sloppy.

Reactions: 1 person
It almost feels like we hit a wall last Sat against Bama. Might be a loss of confidence affecting us now.

But your #5 point in the report says a lot. They took both sets from Ky, Van, and USC. Some tough games coming up and a good chance to regain focus and confidence needed for postseason. Still feel good about this team and the season which has been a needed oasis for me after that pitiful FB season.

Reactions: 3 people
I know the officiating was poor but our inability to put an outmatched team away at home made the refs a factor.

Better now than mid March though...

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe it's just me but seriously every year it feels like the officiating gets worse and worse

It’s not you.

I’ve pointed this out many times.

I understand referees ain’t perfect but there’s no consistency.

Not to mention it takes wayyyy too long to be reviewing the most obvious calls.

Reactions: 3 people

1. Fortunately I did not watch the Alabama game - so this was by far the worst game I have watched and seen us play this year.

2. Should have gone into Grant and Scofield or whomever multiple times - we were up 13 SC in foul trouble inside and we are jacking up 3's.

3. Assist to turnover was 4 to 9 in the first half against a crappy slow team that had lost it's last 5.

4. What happened to that unselfish team that always made the extra pass -- where were they tonight?

5. Bone outplayed the other two shooting guards all night in his brief stint. The other two were crazy dribble happy and not distributing the ball at all. Probably the worst i have seen Lamont and Jordon Daniels play all year. Overall we looked like Tennessee of old which is not good in case you are wondering. Bone definitely needs more minutes as he is looking to distribute, the other two looking to jack it.

6. It looks like draining that last second 3 has gone to Turner's head as he is dribble happy. Poor ball movement, too many turnovers, SC getting layups with 1 second on the clock on inbound plays. Us not getting it in within 5 seconds on our own inbound -- we just looked atrocious. We had better regroup or this team will do a lot of struggling and losing down the stretch.

South Carolina linked down the stretch last season too

EDit: limped

We don't have a guard who can single-handedly take over several games in a row like Sindarius Thornwell either...

Not saying we are limping but I hope we havent peaked yet

Last edited:
The part that bothers me is we were up 14 and then later 9-10 and both times we let them right back in the game, and I'm not buying it's because they "wanted it". It was more we started playing lazy and sloppy.

Yup I agree, silver lining was that we looked good in spurts, but just not sure why we got so sloppy...uncharacteristic.

Yup I agree, silver lining was that we looked good in spurts, but just not sure why we got so sloppy...uncharacteristic.

I think the most telling thing for me about this game for me happen as the buzzer sounded. The team wasn't excited at all to win the game that was clear

That isn't good and tells me they overlooked this game.

I think the most telling thing for me about this game for me happen as the buzzer sounded. The team wasn't excited at all to win the game that was clear

That isn't good and tells me they overlooked this game.

Yup I agree and watched for that, not many happy faces...that’s a good thing, think they know they were lucky to win at the end.

VN Store

Back