BTO’s Kentucky postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. Let’s F******G go baby!!!! What a damn win, hard to even put into words how good this one feels, for many reasons. First sweep of Kentucky in 19 years, playing far from our best game offensively and still finding a way, adversity down the stretch but not letting it cost us the game like in years past...huge win for the Vols that this team and danbase desperately wanted.

2. I expect some serious love for Lamonte Turner (or turnover) as many were calling him...without him we done win that game tonight. 16pts 6-10fg and 4-7 from deep plus the the 3 ball to put us ahead...the guy has ice in his veins and isn’t scared of the moment, sure he may take a shot or 2 you don’t like, but you live with it for these kinds of games.

3. Shoutout to Jordan Bowden as well, his perimeter shot was still not falling but he found other ways to score and led the team in rebounding with 8 total boards, also had 2 steals and almost a third on the final inbounds.

4. Dear Deacon Barnes, thank you for fouling up 3...and it was textbook execution as well although I’m not sure how more time was put on the clock. Would’ve hated to have seen us go to OT because of a desperation 3 pointwr, great call from coach and execution from the players.

5. We played faaaaar from our best game offensively, we shoot 40% from deep on the year, tonight we shot 24%...most of them were good looks that just didn’t fall, we hit at our average and this game isn’t all that close. With that said that’s a great sign, this team found a way to win a game on the road against a good team while having arguably their worst perimeter shooting game of the season. We turned the ball over way too much in the first half, cleaned it up in the second half but still sloppier than we usually are...however we out rebounded the much taller Wildcats and that’s also a great sign. You are gonna have cold shooting nights, you take care of the ball, rebound it and defend and most of the time you’re still going to be right in it.

6. Grant Williams was 1-3 from the field, I know he would’ve liked to have been more of a factor but Kentucky just wasn’t going to let that happen. Grant could’ve forced some shots but instead made the correct play most of the time, had some of those 3’s fallen his effort would’ve looked much better.

7. We entered the week saying a split would be a success, well we won the front end of the 2 games and now are playing with house money. We head to Tuscaloosa this week to play an Alabama team that lost tonight at Mississippi State...much like tonight it won’t be easy but a win is possible. Again, 1-1 is what everyone said would be a success, and we are assured of that...but let’s have some fun and think about 2-0? If the Vols can pull it off and beat Alabama Saturday they will have a very strong case to crack the Top 10 in the new rankings, but more importantly you will continue to see them climb the seed lines for the NCAAT, going from those current 3/4 you are seeing to 2/3 and possibly even seeing a couple 1 seeds sprinkled in depending on what other teams do this week. Rick Barnes job going forward is to keep his guys hungry and focused, but we as fans can look ahead, and boys....we going dancing!!!

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 people
GbFo!! I thought I might blow an artery when The Admiral slammed to seal the deal!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
1. Let’s F******G go baby!!!! What a damn win, hard to even put into words how good this one feels, for many reasons. First sweep of Kentucky in 19 years, playing far from our best game offensively and still finding a way, adversity down the stretch but not letting it cost us the game like in years past...huge win for the Vols that this team and danbase desperately wanted.

2. I expect some serious love for Lamonte Turner (or turnover) as many were calling him...without him we done win that game tonight. 16pts 6-10fg and 4-7 from deep plus the the 3 ball to put us ahead...the guy has ice in his veins and isn’t scared of the moment, sure he may take a shot or 2 you don’t like, but you live with it for these kinds of games.

3. Shoutout to Jordan Bowden as well, his perimeter shot was still not falling but he found other ways to score and led the team in rebounding with 8 total boards, also had 2 steals and almost a third on the final inbounds.

4. We played faaaaar from our best game offensively, we shoot 40% from deep on the year, tonight we shot 24%...most of them were good looks that just didn’t fall, we hit at our average and this game isn’t all that close. With that said that’s a great sign, this team found a way to win a game on the road against a good team while having arguably their worst perimeter shooting game of the season. We turned the ball over way too much in the first half, cleaned it up in the second half but still sloppier than we usually are...however we out rebounded the much taller Wildcats and that’s also a great sign. You are gonna have cold shooting nights, you take care of the ball, rebound it and defend and most of the time you’re still going to be right in it.

5. Grant Williams was 1-3 from the field, I know he would’ve liked to have been more of a factor but Kentucky just wasn’t going to let that happen. Grant could’ve forced some shots but instead made the correct play most of the time, had some of those 3’s fallen his effort would’ve looked much better.

6. We entered the week saying a split would be a success, well we won the front end of the 2 games and now are playing with house money. We head to Tuscaloosa this week to play an Alabama team that lost tonight at Mississippi State...much like tonight it won’t be easy but a win is possible. Again, 1-1 is what everyone said would be a success, and we are assured of that...but let’s have some fun and think about 2-0? If the Vols can pull it off and beat Alabama Saturday they will have a very strong case to crack the Top 10 in the new rankings, but more importantly you will continue to see them climb the seed lines for the NCAAT, going from those current 3/4 you are seeing to 2/3 and possibly even seeing a couple 1 seeds sprinkled in depending on what other teams do this week. Rick Barnes job going forward is to keep his guys hungry and focused, but we as fans can look ahead, and boys....we going dancing!!!

GBO!!!

Not saying I don’t care about Saturday, but it’s the last thing on my mind right now lmao.

Saturday will be tough, because like going to Rupp, UT in my lifetime hasn't seemed to play well down there.

Reactions: 1 person
Awesome win!

Grant has to handle double teams better or else this will become the norm.

This felt like a “mature” win to me. Really great effort. Also, how great to see the coaches not calm timeouts there at the end.

Reactions: 2 people
Point 5 illustrates how important Williams is for us. Though he wasn't as effective as we would have liked, he was a huge factor in the win. He's going to go down as one of the best to wear orange imo.

Reactions: 7 people
Also, I said it in the game thread, but hey Buzz Peterson, did you see the foul when up 3? Remember when you wouldn't do that and it cost us a few big games?

To win this game with Daniel tossing up a goose-egg is amazing!

Agree this win feels great! Defensively we’re playing much better than we were 5-6 games ago. Thought Barnes should’ve gone zone for a few possessions when we couldn’t stop the penetration but glad we pulled it out with a great stop at the end. Turner has surprised me beyond words. Didn’t think he’d ever play clean basketball, but he’s limited turnovers and taken better shots the last 5-6 games. As you said, Bowden was also great in the second half. I feel it often gets overlooked but he does a lot of things well. One of our better defenders, rebounds well, and pretty good passer. Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Ive always felt Barnes is a better X’s & O’s coach.

He’s just never had the luxury to have Cal’s players.

Either way, it’s nice to see our HC having success against one of our biggest rivals.

Reactions: 3 people
It's an amazing season. I love this team, all the coaches, all the players. They have provided so much joy and appear to be having so much fun as they continue to defy the expectations of the surprised BB preseason prognosticators. Like Vitale said at the finish, "these guys are for real." GBO.

Yeah, BTO, Turner continues to impress. It's hard to spotlight any one player on this very unselfish team. They just play great together as a team. But Turner has sure been invaluable recently and a key to the great run. Started out 0-2 in the sec and only lost 1 game since.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Also can I add for all the purging ESPN did, why in the blue hades can they not purge that fossil Vitale. Holy hell is he annoying.

I'd rather have Lou Holtz doing commentary.

Reactions: 8 people
Great win, love to watch them play. Did not give up on them at the end, knew they would do something to make it close. Team is gritty down the stretch.

To win this game with Daniel tossing up a goose-egg is amazing!

He had a tough game tonight. I can remember at least twice he dribbled into trouble and turned the ball over, only to find the bench after both of them. And he couldn’t handle the bigger, quicker guards defensively tonight.

We could bury Bama's chance of finishing ahead of us, in the SEC with a win. Would make it a 3 team race, Auburn, UT and maybe Florida(at,least for 2nd)

How 'bout a shout out to Kyle Alexander! Fought those cats tooth and nail and poked the ball loose, got on the floor for a steal when it looked like hope was lost. HUGE.:dance2::rock::lolabove::):good!:

Reactions: 11 people
UK did a decent job of not allowing Grant or Admiral to beat them. But UT's depth showed. Hit a lot of shots right when I thought UK was getting the momentum.

Congratulations guys.

Reactions: 13 people

VN Store

Back