volsarelife1 "CCM stand for 25 seconds offense" post game thoughts vs Missouri:

volsarelife1

1. Coming out slow and with no energy once again. This falls on Barnes for this being a recurring theme. No excuse for it what so ever.

2. Guard play was atrocious and cost us this game. Minus Daniel our guards combined for 2/19 shooting. That's pathetically bad. We'll probably not win many games with the kind of shooting. Hopefully they come out much better Saturday.

3. Why in the world did we instill the Cuonzo stand around for 25 seconds and Jack up shots game plan? Just dumb game planning.

4. Williams. As BTO alllued to before. These last 2 games show why Williams will be a great college player and probably overseas player, but not make it in the NBA. He just isn't himself against much bigger guys. Not a knock on him because when his career is over he'll be one of our all-time greats. Just doesn't have the height.

5. I know Missouri is a good defensive team but our guys acted like they had never played before or even wanted to be out there. Just bad effort all around.

6. Kyle Alexander. He is really coming into his own and finding his game. He's showing the ability on both sides of the ball. Loving watch his progression.

7. No need to overreact and say the season is over. Missouri was favored in this game. With that said, that was an ugly loss. No other way around it.

8. Just waiting for the drive by trolls now after a loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't think 1 was that big of an issue tonite. They just played poorly after the first 5 mins or so and your even at the break.

#2 Is your game. You don't win on the road with guard play that bad.

Williams didn't play great but well enough.

Alexander is starting to pull his weight.

Fulkerson needs to sit.

Reactions: 2 people
- Cuonzo Martin just coached circles around Rick Barnes.

- Not calling a TO in the first half when there was no stoppage in play was about the dumbest coaching move he's made all year. Our guys were dragging and pissed away a 7 point lead because of fatigue and no TV timeout at the 8:00 mark.

- Mizzou employed the double team approach on Williams that Vandy exposed. It took him out of his game again and no one stepped up to shoulder the load.

- Mizzou played smothering D. Clogged the lane and we could not find easy shots. Guard play was pitiful and we were forced to shoot outside shots and hit very few.

- Allowed Mizzou to shoot 40%+. Now 3-5 in games we allow 40% or higher.

- Missed 5 FTs, lost by 4.

- Grant Williams decision to foul with 14 seconds left was so look dumb. Just a really boneheaded decision. One of his worst games this season from a basketball IQ standpoint. 4 TOs and that dumb foul.

- Kyle Alexander played well. John Fulkerson is a big bucket of struggle right now, especially offensively. Jordan Bowden is passive to the point of detriment.

Reactions: 1 person

- Not calling a TO in the first half when there was no stoppage in play was about the dumbest coaching move he's made all year. Our guys were dragging and pissed away a 7 point lead because of fatigue and no TV timeout at the 8:00 mark.

- Mizzou employed the double team approach on Williams that Vandy exposed. It took him out of his game again and no one stepped up to shoulder the load.

- Mizzou played smothering D. Clogged the lane and we could not find easy shots. Guard play was pitiful and we were forced to shoot outside shots and hit very few.

- Grant Williams decision to foul with 14 seconds left was so look dumb. Just a really boneheaded decision. One of his worst games this season from a basketball IQ standpoint. 4 TOs and that dumb foul.

- Kyle Alexander played well. John Fulkerson is a big bucket of struggle right now, especially offensively. Jordan Bowden is passive to the point of detriment.

Cuonzo did not out coach anyone. 2-20 from Bowden Turner Bone got us beat. Barnes can't make those shots fall. Some were wide open.

Reactions: 10 people

Why shouldn’t GW have fouled? There was 15 seconds left, we needed to extend the game?

Why shouldn’t GW have fouled? There was 15 seconds left, we needed to extend the game?

Just defend him. Don't foul. 4 second differential on shot clock and game clock. Make him take it to the basket. Force a pass. A bad shot. Don't just foul him and give him 2 freebies when you don't have to.

The one those guys shot 2-20. Rick can't make those shots fall. It's an off night, and still a one pt game at the one min mark.

Why did those guys have to shoot so many shots? Zo had a great defensive plan. Made us beat them from outside. A lot of those shots were contested too. Meanwhile, our sorry perimeter D gave up wide open shot after wide open shot.

Missing shots doesn't tell the whole story. You have to look at why we were forced to take so many shots from outside and deep into the shot clock.

Just defend him. Don't foul. 4 second differential on shot clock and game clock. Make him take it to the basket. Force a pass. A bad shot. Don't just foul him and give him 2 freebies when you don't have to.

I disagree, I was mad we trapped instead of fouling, 4 seconds isn’t enough time imo...you play it out and let Missouri bomb a 3 ball with 5 seconds on the clock, by the time ball hits rim and bounces into the air and you get the rebound the clock is at 2 and best case scenario is a half court shot.

I disagree, I was mad we trapped instead of fouling, 4 seconds isn’t enough time imo...you play it out and let Missouri bomb a 3 ball with 5 seconds on the clock, by the time ball hits rim and bounces into the air and you get the rebound the clock is at 2 and best case scenario is a half court shot.

Disagree all you want. 4 seconds is an eternity. No reason to foul there without forcing some kind of action.

Disagree all you want. 4 seconds is an eternity. No reason to foul there without forcing some kind of action.

Question...what did we do with the ball down 3 with 15 seconds? Took 10 seconds to get within 25 feet and still didn’t get a shot, call me skeptical that we could get a good look in 3 seconds and needing to go 70 feet.

Yeah and if you don't get a clean rebound your not getting a decent look on the other end.

Mizzou being in the 1-1 made it even easier.

Agree as well. No reason to foul there. He was caught in the corner and a turnover was very possible.

Yeah and if you don't get a clean rebound your not getting a decent look on the other end.

I thought it was a no brainer, again I would’ve fouled on the trap with 25 seconds left...Missouri had possession so even a tie up is their ball. I would’ve tried to extend that game as much as possible, I like my chances more that way than banking on a clean rebound and 1 final look having to go ~75ft in 4 seconds.

Agree as well. No reason to foul there. He was caught in the corner and a turnover was very possible.

We thinking of the same play? They passed out of corner trap, their guy had his dribble along the sideline and wasn’t on the verge of being trapped.

Question...what did we do with the ball down 3 with 15 seconds? Took 10 seconds to get within 25 feet and still didn’t get a shot, call me skeptical that we could get a good look in 3 seconds and needing to go 70 feet.

Different scenarios. Mizzou knew they were going to foul up 3. It was just a question of when, not if. That allowed them to play very aggressively.

If we are down by 1 or 2, they can't afford to foul, therefore can't afford to be as aggressive.

Big difference in a 3 point advantage and a 1 or 2 point advantage.

I thought it was a no brainer, again I would’ve fouled on the trap with 25 seconds left...Missouri had possession so even a tie up is their ball. I would’ve tried to extend that game as much as possible, I like my chances more that way than banking on a clean rebound and 1 final look having to go ~75ft in 4 seconds.

Agree with all of this

If it's and buts were candy and nuts...

You can't think that way. You have to believe you'll get the rebound, force the TO, force the bad shot.

Different scenarios. Mizzou knew they were going to foul up 3. It was just a question of when, not if. That allowed them to play very aggressively.

If we are down by 1 or 2, they can't afford to foul, therefore can't afford to be as aggressive.

Big difference in a 3 point advantage and a 1 or 2 point advantage.

I get that and agree...again I just don’t like my chances on hoping a deep 3 from Missouri taken with 5 seconds on the clock doesn’t bounce high in the air...even if it falls into your lap you’re asking someone to go 75ft in 4 seconds for 1 shot....I prefer extending the game and making Missouri hit 2 free throws every time down.

VN Store

Back