BTO’s Texas A&M postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. I didn’t feel good about this game, I thought A&M was gonna come out full strength and look like the Top 10 team they were earlier this season...this is a nice win for the Vols, hopefully the Aggies now get on track and that win looks even better.

2. If you’d have told me that Schofield & Williams would shoot 7-25 and as a team we’d shoot under 30% from 3 I would’ve said no way we win...add in they shoot 44% from the field and I would’ve lost my house on that bet. So how’d the Vols win? Outrebound the Aggies on both ends, turn it over 10 times to their 17, and we also shot 15 more free throws and made 14 more of them. Different kind of win than I thought Vols were capable of, but great to see.

3. Dear Mr. Alexander...that is what you’re capable of, I saw a toughness from you I haven’t seen, if he finds a way to play like that on a consistent basis where he can give us 30 minutes like that a night, watch out!

4. Jalen Johnson got 8th most minutes tonight, didn’t do much but that’s a sign to me that Barnes is trying to find a 8th and 9th man, he knows we are going to need some depth...someone needs to step forward and take advantage of that opportunity.

5. This is not a knock on Williams, as I have said he’s a great college player, but tonight was why he’s not a NBA player...he will go against the Robert Williams’ of the world every night in the NBA, if not better...he finished 3-13fg, he really struggled with the length and athleticism of A&M’s frontline all night long.

6. Vols are 3-2 in conference, most said they hoped for a 3-3 start and at best 4-2...head to Missouri with a chance to move to 4-2 and really move the needle. Speaking of needle, Vols with the win are 13th in RPI and 14th in KenPom...the way they played tonight as a rounded team, I might could buy into them being Top 15, they showed me something tonight that I haven’t seen, hopefully it’s a sign of things to come.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 14 people
Biggest thing to me that is happening is Jordan Bone is claiming this PG job as his by really separating himself. Love his development

Reactions: 1 person
Wouldn't it be something if during all the conjecture about Grant and Admiral's pro prospects...that Kyle develops into
a prospect in his own right?

Reactions: 1 person
7. Fleece stepped up big by taking one for the team and not watching. That really propelled the Vols to Victory.

J/k I watched the game and the curse is broken.

Loved what I saw from Alexander. Williams may not have been effective scoring but he hit a big shot out of the timeout to give UT momentum and kill A&M’s, he also made two great passes down the stretch. One to KA for a slam, and one to JB for a tre.

Bone is starting to get into a groove. I’m going to be honest though. I absolutely hate his shot, it’s so flat. Blows my mind that he ever makes a basket with it.

Schofield imo is the most important player on the team. Seems to keep the energy and morale up and has been mr consistency in SEC play. Need him to keep doing what he is doing.

Glad to see JJ get some minutes. Looks like Barnes wanted to get some length out there against A&M (a long team). He seemed timid but that’s understandable considering those were the only meaningful minutes he’s played all year. Hopefully he continues to see some time and takes advantage. He looks the part.

Reactions: 2 people
Wouldn't it be something if during all the conjecture about Grant and Admiral's pro prospects...that Kyle develops into
a prospect in his own right?

I said a couple weeks ago that imo he was the best NBA prospect on our roster, tonight only affirmed that in my mind.

Biggest thing to me that is happening is Jordan Bone is claiming this PG job as his by really separating himself. Love his development

IMHO, he has the most raw talent of anyone on Tennessee's team. Ever since he got over the flu bug, has really elevated his play, especially on offense.

Big win.

The next game is the biggest game on our schedule in my book. Should be a coaching mismatch.

Let’s win these next 3. Should be good enough to be at the top of the SEC heading into the game vs Iowa State.

Reactions: 3 people

Yup, another good point...seems like we’ve had the same starting 5 for about 10 straight games, I like that consistency.

Big win.

The next game is the biggest game on our schedule in my book. Should be a coaching mismatch.

Let’s win these next 3. Should be good enough to be at the top of the SEC heading into the game vs Iowa State.

You just know CCM has been scheming on this one for 9 months, I saw posters they’ve giving out and t-shirts, they’ve been hyping that game up...no shocker.

Good analysis of the game; I'd only want to make special mention of our defense. We were in their grill all night and A&M earned the baskets they made - when they weren't making a ton of turnovers.

VN Store

Back