The Official #24 Tennessee vs. Texas A&M Game Thread, 6:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
#24 Tennessee Volunteers: 11-4 (2-2 SEC)

grantwilliams3309418340_t1070_h4cb6b576970bb9d452fa9b920cc4e9c14235df77.jpg

vs.

Texas A&M Aggies: 11-5 (0-4 SEC)

admon_uk.jpg

JAN. 13 » THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA » KNOXVILLE, TENN. » 6:01 PM ET

Line: UT -3
O/U: 141.5

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 138, XM: 191
Online: WatchESPN.com

16_Game_Promo_Texas_A_M.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Overall: UT leads, 6-5

In Knoxville: Series tied, 3-3

In College Station: Series tied, 2-2

Neutral Sites: UT leads, 1-0

Current Streak: UT has won one

Last Meeting: UT won, 73-63, in College Station, 12/29/16

Rick Barnes vs. Texas A&M: 26-8

Rick Barnes vs. Billy Kennedy: Barnes leads, 3-1

Reactions: 5 people
• In SEC games, Grant Williams leads the league with a scoring average of 22.3 ppg.

• Grant Williams' 37 points on Tuesday were the most by a Vol since Ron Slay scored 38 vs. New Mexico on Jan. 4, 2003.

• The Vols are rated No. 15 in the NCAA RPI and own the nation's third-rated SOS, per ESPN.

• UT ranks 22nd nationally in offensive efficiency, per KenPom.

Reactions: 7 people
• Give Rick Barnes 27 career wins over the Aggies. He's only beaten Texas Tech (33) and Baylor (30) more times.

• Give the Vols their first three-game SEC win streak since last Jan. 21-31.

• Give Tennessee a winning record in SEC play after starting 0-2 with losses at Arkansas and vs. Auburn.

Reactions: 9 people
• Billy Kennedy and the Aggies (11-5, 0-4 SEC) were ranked as high as No. 5 two weeks ago, but a four-game skid to begin SEC play has Texas A&M in a tough spot heading into Knoxville this weekend.

• The Aggies boast ranked wins over West Virginia at a neutral site and at USC from their non-conference slate. They also picked up wins over Penn State and Oklahoma State at the Legends Classic in Brooklyn, while their only other loss this season came against Arizona. In the last two games, Texas A&M lost by just one point, with LSU hitting a contested, NBA-range 3-pointer as time expired and a turnover in the final seconds costing them a win in Rupp Arena against Kentucky on Tuesday night.

• A&M was picked to finish third in the SEC for a reason, boasting a very experienced and talented roster. Preseason first-team All-SEC selection Robert Williams (8.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg) struggled early in the season, missing five games already because injuries. However, the 6-10 forward has averaged 12.7 ppg and 9.0 rpg over his last three outings.

• With Williams out, 6-10 center Tyler Davis stepped in as A&M's top player, averaging 14.6 ppg on 61 percent shooting, 8.2 rpg, 1.6 apg and 1.4 bpg. The preseason second-team All-SEC selection has also posted five double-doubles on the year while being the only Aggie to start every game.

• Despite missing three game, small forward D.J. Hogg has been the best all-around player for Texas A&M, tallying 14.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.2 spg and 1.1 bpg in 32 minutes of action per game to earn him a spot on the Julius Erving Small Forward of the Year Award Watch List.

• Admon Gilder (12.8 ppg) and Duane Wilson (12.1 ppg) round out the double-digit scorers for A&M on the season. Gilder missed nearly a month of action before returning to post 14 points against Kentucky, while Wilson has missed the last three contests because of injury.

They are desperate/hungry for a win. Vols need to play with a purpose from the opening tip or we could get an Auburn repeat.

Reactions: 2 people
aTm is going to do everything in their power to avoid that dreaded 0-5 start. That being said, I still think this is a very winnable game at home for us. If we drop this one, puts more pressure on the Mizzou game.

Win this game and I think we are playing for a seed the rest of the year.

Lose this game and the trip to Mizzu becomes a huge one for staying off the bubble.

Not feeling it today. Not a good matchup with their inside strengths.

71-65 Aggies

Our bigs are going to be tested today, if Williams has aspirations of playing in the league this is going to be a great test for him and chance to show some people what he can do against projected NBA bigs.

I think our guards need to have a big game and we are gonna have to shoot very well from inside, glad this game is at TBA, GBO!

Our bigs are going to be tested today, if Williams has aspirations of playing in the league this is going to be a great test for him and chance to show some people what he can do against projected NBA bigs.

I think our guards need to have a big game and we are gonna have to shoot very well from inside, glad this game is at TBA, GBO!

Our Guards have to play great.

Me need 45 pts out of Bone-turner-Daniel-Bowden to win imo

Reactions: 1 person
Our Guards have to play great.

Me need 45 pts out of Bone-turner-Daniel-Bowden to win imo

I tend to agree, could possibly push that number even higher.

I think we will need 50+ from those not named Williams & Schofield and that as a team we will need to shoot 40%+ from deep...also <10 turnovers. Oh, and rebound the ball :)

We will not only need scoring from the guards, they need to really pressure their guards and make it hard to make entry passes. This is a game where we can win with defense and an all out effort on the boards.

Go Vols!!!!

Potenial foul trouble game for williams. They all are but this one more so imo

May see some zone

Win this game and I think we are playing for a seed the rest of the year.

Lose this game and the trip to Mizzu becomes a huge one for staying off the bubble.

Not feeling it today. Not a good matchup with their inside strengths.

71-65 Aggies

Kiss of death for the Aggies.....imo

Haven’t felt good about this one since the start of the season. Don’t feel good about it now, either. It’s going to be a dog fight. May be our best win yet if we can pull it out.

I like the Barnes stats in post #2. But ATM has been a better BB program since they've joined the SEC. IIRC, they really had Cuonzo's number.

VN Store

Back