BTO’s Vanderbilt postgame report

bleedingTNorange

1. A win on the road in conference is something you don’t take lightly, especially at that screwed up thing they call a gym. Kudos to the Tennessee fans in attendance, you guys were very loud and clearly audible on the TV, awesome to see/hear.

2. The first half defense was bad, yes Vandy hit a high percentage but at the same time you were giving their best shooters great looks. However great second half adjustment, thought the decision to extend pressure and somewhat dictate what they did really changed the game...great move from Barnes.

3. That’s now 2 games in a row we’ve allowed teams to shoot over 40% and found a way to win, Vandy shot 52%...the positive is we were great offensively but this teams bread is buttered on defense, gotta get back to the defense we were playing earlier this year, much like we saw in the 2nd half tonight.

4. Grant F*****g Williams, what a monster...3*, underrated, blah blah blah...goes for 37pts 13-15ft and 7rbds, what an absolute monster that young man is...not many bigs across the country putting up that stat line. He may not be a NBA player, but that’s ok, we aren’t a NBA team...he’s a damn monster college player though.

5. Can’t mention individual players without crediting Schofield, after what Barnes called his best game against UK Schofield may have one upped it tonight, 22pts and 9rbds.

6. We again only went essentially 8 deep, 6 guys over 25 minutes played and then 2 guys (Fulk & Alexander) just barely breaking double digits...I’m not sure this team can continue to only go 8 deep, especially as hard as they play, really need some guys on the back end to step up. However our first 5-6 guys are playing so good right now you want to probably give them all the minutes you can, something to monitor.

7. After what started out as 0-2 and people started to reach for the panic button the Vols win back to back and get things back to 2-2...they head into a deceiving game Saturday. Texas A&M has been ranked as high as #5 in the country, they’ve lost up to 5 players of late and have stumbled, they returned a couple tonight against UK and battled the wildcats to the wire at Rupp, think they’re supposed to get the rest of their guys back for the game Saturday...of course. In any event, 3-3 was the goal to start conference play, that means go 1-1 against A&M at home and then at Missouri, GBO!!!

Reactions: 26 people
Who's the last Vol to put up 37 I'm too lazy to look it up lol. JMac (UGA game)? Lofton? Houston?

No way in hell should Grant Williams have been a 3* coming out of high school.

All he needed was a little development and Barnes has done that.

Very impressive performance tonight.

Reactions: 5 people
Ok I will be the first to say it. Grant williams isn't a 4 year player. We are only going to have him one more year. Not sure it will be wise to declare but with his production he is going to give it a try. With his academics I bet he graduates in 3 years anyway

Reactions: 1 person
Ok I will be the first to say it. Grant williams isn't a 4 year player. We are only going to have him one more year. Not sure it will be wise to declare but with his production he is going to give it a try. With his academics I bet he graduates in 3 years anyway

Ehh idk, he seems like the type that is gonna wanna stay here and enjoys playing the game...I will be curious to see what his professional options are.

Reactions: 2 people

BTO says he's not an NBA player, and you are saying he is out of here in 3. Hmmm.

I wonder if he developed a 3 point shot, would that change the calculation a bit for BTO? I understand that he plays close to the basket now, and that he is not exactly an NBA Center, but it is hard to imagine that he couldn't find a place on the floor.

BTO says he's not an NBA player, and you are saying he is out of here in 3. Hmmm.

I wonder if he developed a 3 point shot, would that change the calculation a bit for BTO? I understand that he plays close to the basket now, and that he is not exactly an NBA Center, but it is hard to imagine that he couldn't find a place on the floor.

We discussed his 3 pt shot today. Last year he finished 10/19 from there at the end of the year. He was well on his way. He is now 3/18 this year so it's bad. I think he can find that part of the game when he needs it. He doesn't now.

He’s gotta continue to improve his quickness, athleticism and probably perimeter shot as well...you look at PJ Washington and Bonzie Colson as comparisons imo. Colson is a 21ppg 10rpg a night guy, and he’s projected mid-late 2nd round, and returned for his senior year because of draft grade so I just don’t see it.

Again, that’s not a bad thing...Colson before injury was a top 5 player in CBB, probably an All-American, I will gladly take that...we aren’t a NBA franchise, we don’t need NBA players, we need college players.

If Grant was to stay healthy and stick out all 4 years he’d have a very good shot at finishing in Top 3 all time points scored and rebounds in UT history.

Ehh idk, he seems like the type that is gonna wanna stay here and enjoys playing the game...I will be curious to see what his professional options are.

I think he's a high-level Euroleague combo forward. That's not an insult; the guys on high-level EL teams get paid. But I don't think he'll ever be able to stick with NBA SFs athletically and that's where he'd have to play since I doubt any NBA team gives him a shot at PF. His lateral quickness will play much better in Europe.

NBA GMs aren't exactly lining up to draft Bonzie Colson or Yante Maten and they've had similarly productive college careers. That means you probably have him four years.

I think he's a high-level Euroleague combo forward. That's not an insult; the guys on high-level EL teams get paid. But I don't think he'll ever be able to stick with NBA SFs athletically and that's where he'd have to play since I doubt any NBA team gives him a shot at PF. His lateral quickness will play much better in Europe.

NBA GMs aren't exactly lining up to draft Bonzie Colson or Yante Maten and they've had similarly productive college careers. That means you probably have him four years.

Yup exactly...that’s not a bad thing at all. And he has a jump working at NASA waiting for him as well, so he may choose Euro Ball, he may just stay 4 years in college and hang it up, but I’m with you that I don’t see him leaving early for NBA.

Williams could be a good small forward in the NBA if he chooses to go that route and Bowden came up big with 12 points in the second half.

Yup exactly...that’s not a bad thing at all. And he has a jump working at NASA waiting for him as well, so he may choose Euro Ball, he may just stay 4 years in college and hang it up, but I’m with you that I don’t see him leaving early for NBA.

NASA? Is he another Rocketry major like Dobbs?

Williams could be a good small forward in the NBA if he chooses to go that route and Bowden came up big with 12 points in the second half.

GW doesn’t have the lateral quickness to be guarding NBA 3’s, picture him trying to keep up with Bron or Melo

NASA? Is he another Rocketry major like Dobbs?

Mom works there. He's a hell of a student. That's why I mentioned I think he will graduate in 3 years.

For the record I am not saying he should declare for the draft but I just think he will have had so much success after 3 years he will. Just a shot in the dark

VN Store

Back