volsarelife1. (The Williams/Schofield show) post game thoughts vs: Vandy

volsarelife1

1. Williams and Schofield are hands down our best players. They had no answer at all for them inside. They straight owned and dominated. Combined for: 59/15/3/. Just dominated them in every way. Their last two games they have combined for: 97/31/11/

2. Defense and especially our 3 point defense was atrocious. You can't leave a team wide open or have lapses where you're trying to close out. Just too many open looks for them in the first half. Looked like we made some adjustments in the 2nd half. Much better and we weren't leaving them wide open. We played with much more energy.

3. Our guard play wasn't the best tonight. Our point guards had trouble keeping their man in front of them. There was a couple times in fast break opportunities that our point guards pulled up for a shot and resulted in no points. They finished with a pretty solid stay line. Just not too wild on their defense.

4. Bowden and Alexander. For as much as I bragged and complimented Alexander, he was just a no show tonight. Bowden. I mentioned this is the game thread but he's becoming one of the most frustrating players in recent memory. First half Bowden just stood in the corner. Second half Bowden came out aggressive. If he would stay like that he could be a legit 15-18ppg player.

5. I love that we kept going to what was working. Even though we were over 50% on 3s. We kept going to our horses. If we keep going with that inside/out game and not forcing one of them, looks like we can be very balanced.

6. Speaking of over 50%. We shot 56% for the game, 53% on 3s, and 86% on free throws. Excellent shooting. We had to be close to 70% in the 2nd for field goal percentage.

7. SEC officials are completely trash. Another game they took the flow of the game out. They were bad on both sides.

8. I hate their gym, wish he would fall apart. Glad to get out of there with the win.

9. We're now sitting at 2-2 in conference play and still in the top 25. Things are looking pretty good overall for us.

10. One big complaint is how we start out games. Not sure why we can't start out with the aggression and pace we play with in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Someone find me a better duo in the SEC, hell maybe even in the NCAA that's better than Grant and The Admiral. I'll wait.

Reactions: 2 people
Teams with a good speedy ball handler at the point have been shredding us. Lee today, the kid at Auburn last week. Bone/Turner/Daniel just don’t have enough speed to play up in that position.

Great win today though, Grant/Admiral were out of their minds all night, and Barnes’ second half was phenomenal.

Admiral coming into his own, playing like a boss. If he can keep playing this way consistently we are a dangerous team on any night and it will help make-up for some of the inconsistencies of other players. I like this team a lot. Most enjoyable TN ball team to watch since the Pearl days.

Reactions: 5 people
- 2nd game in a row we beat our opponent despite them shooting 40%+ from the field. In this case, it helps when you shoot 56.6% yourself. We are 2-4 now when allowing opponent to shoot better than 40%.

- Tale of two halves. First half, no perimeter defense. Couldn't score outside the paint. Careless with the ball. Second half, definite uptick in intensity, much better defense, especially on tthe perimeter, we made some perimeter jumpers to open the paint.

- Not sure why Vandy stopped doubling Williams. It was working and we struggled with their man2man when they kept it away from Williams. Not sure why they went away from it.

- 21 pts, 7 rebs, 7 assts, 2 TOs...thats the combined stat line from Bone, Turner, and Daniel. Solid PG play.

- Defense still needs to improve, especially in transition and on the perimeter. Our defense in SEC play has been bad.

I guess I would rather see them finish strong than start strong. But Williams and Admiral were terrific tonight. Still a rough road ahead. AtM has to be frustrated and dying to break out a win and that's a big talented team.

Teams with a good speedy ball handler at the point have been shredding us. Lee today, the kid at Auburn last week. Bone/Turner/Daniel just don’t have enough speed to play up in that position.

Great win today though, Grant/Admiral were out of their minds all night, and Barnes’ second half was phenomenal.
Bone might be the fastest player on the court. The problem tonight, especially in the 1st half, was fighting through ball screens. That’s just energy and effort. We saw that was much improved in the 2nd half.

Reactions: 1 person
1. Williams and Schofield are hands down our best players. They had no answer at all for them inside. They straight owned and dominated. Combined for: 59/15/3/. Just dominated them in every way. Their last two games they have combined for: 97/31/11/

2. Defense and especially our 3 point defense was atrocious. You can't leave a team wide open or have lapses where you're trying to close out. Just too many open looks for them in the first half. Looked like we made some adjustments in the 2nd half. Much better and we weren't leaving them wide open. We played with much more energy.

3. Our guard play wasn't the best tonight. Our point guards had trouble keeping their man in front of them. There was a couple times in fast break opportunities that our point guards pulled up for a shot and resulted in no points. They finished with a pretty solid stay line. Just not too wild on their defense.

4. Bowden and Alexander. For as much as I bragged and complimented Alexander, he was just a no show tonight. Bowden. I mentioned this is the game thread but he's becoming one of the most frustrating players in recent memory. First half Bowden just stood in the corner. Second half Bowden came out aggressive. If he would stay like that he could be a legit 15-18ppg player.

5. I love that we kept going to what was working. Even though we were over 50% on 3s. We kept going to our horses. If we keep going with that inside/out game and not forcing one of them, looks like we can be very balanced.

6. Speaking of over 50%. We shot 56% for the game, 53% on 3s, and 86% on free throws. Excellent shooting. We had to be close to 70% in the 2nd for field goal percentage.

7. SEC officials are completely trash. Another game they took the flow of the game out. They were bad on both sides.

8. I hate their gym, wish he would fall apart. Glad to get out of there with the win.

9. We're now sitting at 2-2 in conference play and still in the top 25. Things are looking pretty good overall for us.

10. One big complaint is how we start out games. Not sure why we can't start out with the aggression and pace we play with in the 2nd half.

We have won the last two games and we started slowly in both. I don't like getting behind, but when we come back and win, it is much better than starting fast and running out of steam and losing the game.

Bone has shown elite quickness driving to the basket - it's something besides a lack of speed with him

:rock::rock::rock:Addressing point (8) of your statement to which I agree, the worst facility in the SEC and nation! - It is way past time that the SEC tells Vanderbilt to either get a new facility or do something so that coaches can be in the middle rather than the end.
They received millions of $$$$ each year from the SEC. So why does Vanderbilt continue to be allowed to permit the coach position at the ends?????

Last edited:
:rock::rock::rock:Addressing point (8) of your statement to which I agree, the worst facility in the SEC and nation! - It is way past time that the SEC tells Vanderbilt to either get a new facility or do something so that coaches can be in the middle rather than the end.
They received millions of $$$$ each year from the SEC. So why does Vanderbilt continue to be allowed to permit the coach position at the ends?????

Not sure if you noticed, but both coaches were allowed to roam near sideline last night. I'm thinking that is a new development as I have never seen that before at Memorial. My guess is the NCAA stepped in and required it.

Not sure if you noticed, but both coaches were allowed to roam near sideline last night. I'm thinking that is a new development as I have never seen that before at Memorial. My guess is the NCAA stepped in and required it.

This is at least the second year with the extended coaches box at Memorial.

This team is the truth. Coach Barnes and the players are building confidence and seeing their hard work pay off more each game.

VN Store

Back