Quality wins

BruinVol

I think this might be a topic worth having a thread. I hope it doesn't become a real hot topic for us other than seeding but I wanted to discusss.

Sorry, Page Not Found | NCAA.com

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

This set up which I assume is brand new for this year is just plain flawed.

How on earth is a win against Kentucky worth exactly the same as it would be worth on the road?

Road wins against top 20 or higher teams need to weighed much higher than home wins imo.

There are other issues with the system but I thought seeing this would help when discussing schedules and such going forward. Thanks to BTO for sharing it first

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think this might be a topic worth having a thread. I hope it doesn't become a real hot topic for us other than seeding but I wanted to discusss.

How on earth is a win against Kentucky worth exactly the same as it would be worth on the road?

Road wins against top 20 or higher teams need to weighed much higher than home wins imo.

There are other issues with the system but I thought seeing this would help when discussing schedules and such going forward. Thanks to BTO for sharing it first

Personally I think it’s all hogwash and they are gonna get into a room and just make the decision anyway they choose. These tiers are silly. Just makes me think it’s meant to cloud everything up so they can just pick whoever they want.

Beating a team at home who is 31 is tiered the same as beating a team ranked 135 on the road. Silly.

Stupid.

Personally I think it’s all hogwash and they are gonna get into a room and just make the decision anyway they choose. These tiers are silly. Just makes me think it’s meant to cloud everything up so they can just pick whoever they want.

I like ways to measure things I just see big holes in this way.

This is obviously a macro scale tier system. There are only 4 possible classifications, so we'll have a nice chart at the end of the season to see the "big picture." They'll still dissect every win and loss and compare outside the restraints of the tier system.

Looking at our 10 wins we have

2- tier 1 wins

2- tier 2 wins

3- tier 3 wins

3- tier 4 wins

Last edited:

Fwiw a road win against Kentucky would count the same in the previous model as well. Where this model varies is giving more credit to road/neutral wins, so a top 60 road win counts more in this model than say a top 60 home win would where as the previous model would count them the same.

Fwiw a road win against Kentucky would count the same in the previous model as well. Where this model varies is giving more credit to road/neutral wins, so a top 60 road win counts more in this model than say a top 60 home win would where as the previous model would count them the same.

What did the old model say?

I like ways to measure things I just see big holes in this way.

I think the Tiers should be done a bit differently, but I like the idea of giving more weight to road/neutral games than saying they all count the same.

Maybe...

Tier 1: 1-15 H, 1-35 N, 1-50 A
Tier 2: 16-50 H, 36-70 N, 1-85A
Tier 3: 51-100H, 71-125N, 86-150A
Tier 4: 100+H, 125+N, 151+A

I think the Tiers should be done a bit differently, but I like the idea of giving more weight to road/neutral games than saying they all count the same.

Maybe...

Tier 1: 1-15 H, 1-35 N, 1-50 A
Tier 2: 16-50 H, 36-70 N, 1-85A
Tier 3: 51-100H, 71-125N, 86-150A
Tier 4: 100+H, 125+N, 151+A

Without knowing how they measure the tiers make it hard.

Imo tier wins have to be worth pts before knowing how to shape the system and go from there.

I don’t remember the different levels, but it was simply Top 50 wins, Top 100 wins etc....no distinction between home/neutral/road

No distinction is dumb.

I like a collective point system. Here is my best attempt at it without much time put into it

home games
1-10 wins 6pts
11-14 wins 5 pts
26-49 wins 4 pts
50-74 wins 3 pts
75-99 wins 2 pts
Over 100 1 pt

Neutral games
1-10 7pts
11-24 6pts
25-49 5pts
50-74 4pts
75-99 3pts
100+ 2pts

Road games
1-10 8pts
11-24 7pts
24-49 6pts
50-74 5pts
74-99 4pts
100+ 3 pts

Under this system Tennessee would have 24 pts worth of wins and just for discussion purposes Mizzu would have 21pts at present.

You still have to use the RPI/SOS because that point system doesn't take into account losses but maybe it has some credibility even though I am sure there are flaws

Last edited:
No distinction is dumb.

I like a collective point system. Here is my best attempt at it without much time put into it

home games
1-10 wins 6pts
11-14 wins 5 pts
26-49 wins 4 pts
50-74 wins 3 pts
75-99 wins 2 pts
Over 100 1 pt

Neutral games
1-10 7pts
11-24 6pts
25-49 5pts
50-74 4pts
75-99 3pts
100+ 2pts

Road games
1-10 8pts
11-24 7pts
24-49 6pts
50-74 5pts
74-99 4pts
100+ 3 pts

Under this system Tennessee would have 24 pts worth of wins and just for discussion purposes Mizzu would have 22pts at present.

You still have to use the RPI/SOS because that point system doesn't take into account losses but maybe it has some credibility even though I am sure there are flaws

Having two more than Missouri means you’re off. We’ve been much more impressive. They’ve done nothing.

This is obviously a macro scale tier system. There are only 4 possible classifications, so we'll have a nice chart at the end of the season to see the "big picture." They'll still dissect every win and loss and compare outside the restraints of the tier system.

This team will be as good as it's effort. Play like did against KY, and we're a 6-7 seed...play like we did against Aub, and we're bubble team. Need W this week against TaM to get us squarely back in the upper tier SEC schools.

????

I thought if you won most your games and did it in good fashion, you got good everything for the post season.

All this math and the such makes the think of the business world being taken over by the bean counter mentality back in the late part of the last century. Just another profession trying to make themselves more than they are. As for sports, win big and you are in, plain and simple.

Under my pt system Kentucky would be 27. 3 pts ahead of us. I should have screwed them in my thinking lol.

They do have more top 100 wins. They have 7 while we have 5

Our RPI and SOS are higher than theirs which makes the resumes very similar.

Without knowing how they measure the tiers make it hard.

Imo tier wins have to be worth pts before knowing how to shape the system and go from there.

From my understanding (which could be wrong) there is no weighted amount to the tiers and also no scoring system, so it’s not as if each team is going to have say a total score the committee is looking at. My understanding is it’s going to provide them with a simpler look into each team...

So say you have 2 teams with Team A having a RPI of 52 and Team B RPI of 53, they may say ok pull up their team sheets...

Team A- Tier 1: 6-4 Tier 2: 4-4 Tier 3: 6-2 Tier 4: 4-0
Team B- Tier 1: 2-0 Tier 2: 5-5 Tier 3: 10-2 Tier 4: 6-0

It gives them a snapshot of where each teams wins came from AND THE BIG THING, where those wins came, without having to dive to deep into each teams schedule.

From my understanding (which could be wrong) there is no weighted amount to the tiers and also no scoring system, so it’s not as if each team is going to have say a total score the committee is looking at. My understanding is it’s going to provide them with a simpler look into each team...

So say you have 2 teams with Team A having a RPI of 52 and Team B RPI of 53, they may say ok pull up their team sheets...

Team A- Tier 1: 6-4 Tier 2: 4-4 Tier 3: 6-2 Tier 4: 4-0
Team B- Tier 1: 2-0 Tier 2: 5-5 Tier 3: 10-2 Tier 4: 6-0

It gives them a snapshot of where each teams wins came from AND THE BIG THING, where those wins came, without having to dive to deep into each teams schedule.

Looking at them as a hole makes more sense as individually I think. In that case it will really hurt the mid majors as they won't have played nearly as many of those unless they loaded up on road games early on

Man would I wish that Clemson road win would have counted. That one would have been better than the Purdue win. They're sitting at #5 in the RPI.

VN Store

Back