The center position

BruinVol

Trying to bring a long long conversation to where it belongs.

Here is the main point of discussion.

Thoughts

Lol. Kyle Alexander is not a five. Has never been a five, and likely will never be a five. He offers nothing to five position no matter how much you wish it to be. Just because he's tall doesn't make him a center. I'm sorry but you are wrong and always will be wrong.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of the 5 spot is...personally I would say he’s a 5 but basketball has gone with 2 forwards more and more and not a true center, so I can see where that argument would be made.

If you are labeling the players on the floor 1-5 there is no question though that Alexander would be the 5.

Reactions: 1 person
Trying to bring a long long conversation to where it belongs.

Here is the main point of discussion.

Thoughts

Some people just have no clue about the game of basketball. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Bruin.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of the 5 spot is...personally I would say he’s a 5 but basketball has gone with 2 forwards more and more and not a true center, so I can see where that argument would be made.

If you are labeling the players on the floor 1-5 there is no question though that Alexander would be the 5.

Yep. The main topic should be is can we win big without a 6-ft-10 physical True complete 5 that can do it all?

I say we don't have to have that

Last edited:
If you start 5 6'1" PGs then the one you play down low is the 5.

Ill argue this point till death.

Kyle Alexander and Zach Kent are the only legit 5's on this team.

Seeing that Kent doesnt play we only play 1 real 5 but Williams,Fulkerson,and Walker play it from time to time out of need.

I dont care if you have 3000000 posts this is the facts.

Reactions: 2 people
Kyle is a 5 in high school ball. 5 in college and if he plays overseas he is a 5 as well.

Yep. I think he is actually a decent outside shooter and if needed would be somewhat of an outside shooting threat.

I would love to see a breakdown of final four teams and how strong of a 5 they had.

I know last year that USCe stared a frosh at the 5 who was very mediocre. Alexander is better than he was for sure.

Yep. I think he is actually a decent outside shooter and if needed would be somewhat of an outside shooting threat.

Not a bad foul shooter too even though the percentage isn't very good so far. He hasn't been to the line a whole lot.

Not a bad foul shooter too even though the percentage isn't very good so far. He hasn't been to the line a whole lot.

He has good touch for a big. I think he should shoot more from out there. Would open things up a little for Williams.

His one 3 on the year was HUGE

So if a baseball team starts 9 shortstops does that mean there isnt a RFer or CFer or 1st baseman?

No.

It means there's 1 player for each position.

Same as basketball.

If you start 5 natural PGs two of them still have to play the post so there's your 4 and 5.

Ive yet to see Alexander bring the ball up so he's not a PG and Ive yet to see him on the wing jacking 3's and feeding the post and Ive yet to see him pressing the PG bringing the ball up so he's always played the 4 or 5 for us.

Last edited:
My definition of a center is a guy that can protect the rim and rebound and Alexander does both of those things very well. Any points that a center provides will be gravy.

My definition of a center is a guy that can protect the rim and rebound and Alexander does both of those things very well. Any points that a center provides will be gravy.

He's a dang good rim protector. He would be at the top if not leading the SEC in blocks if he played more minutes.
It's stanima, consistently or both that keeps him from playing more I guess

So if a baseball team starts 9 shortstops does that mean there isnt a RFer or CFer or 1st baseman?

No.

Same as basketball.

If you start 5 natural PGs two of them still have to play the post so there's your 4 and 5.

Ive yet to see Alexander bring the ball up so he's not a PG and Ive yet to see him on the wing jacking 3's and feeding the post and Ive yet to see him pressing the PG bringing the ball up so he's always played the 4 or 5 for us.

He did last night and it was spectacular. I have no idea how that sequence didn't result in a turnover.

No.

Same as basketball.

He has made one three from the top of the key. So he is a 2 guard.

He has gotten a lot stronger this year, but still needs to get stronger. If he does he could the next Tristan Thompson, who ,get this, plays C in the NBA. Kyle is a 5/C, I can't even fathom the argument against that.

Lol... the 1 thru 5 thing is a way for basketball people to explain basketball to non-basketball people. In basketball it doesn’t really exist.

But in the context of the convo... Kyle is the 5 spot for us any time he is on the court.

Last edited:
Lol... the 1 thru 5 thing is a way for basketball people to explain basketball to non-basketball people. In basketball it doesn’t really exist.

But in the context of the convo... Kyle is the 5 spot for us any time he is on the court.

Some dude in the RF disagrees and anybody that doesn't follow his line of thinking is clueless about basketball. Good stuff... I haven't checked his posts since Saturday night.

Some dude in the RF disagrees and anybody that doesn't follow his line of thinking is clueless about basketball. Good stuff... I haven't checked his posts since Saturday night.

About 100 post yesterday ridiculing Those of US that disagreed.

Last edited:
If he’s not a 5 then idk what is. He plays down low and doesn’t stretch the floor. Gets rebounds and blocks shots every now and then. That’s what most 5s do. What other position would he play? Not sure what they are trying to argue.

If he’s not a 5 then idk what is. He plays down low and doesn’t stretch the floor. Gets rebounds and blocks shots every now and then. That’s what most 5s do. What other position would he play? Not sure what they are trying to argue.

The op quoted in the first post thinks because he isn't strong enough to score with his back to the basket he isn't a 5. That keeps him from being an elite 5 but doesn't mean he isn't one.

VN Store

Back