Ted Valentine contemplating retirement...

...following UNC incident.

Please be true.

Referee who turned back considers retirement Referee Ted Valentine considering retirement after Joel Berry II situation

His turning the back wouldn't have been bad if he had actually conversed a little. Berry was very calm and collected when trying to talk to him. Granted, I don't know how chippy it had been during that game, so it may have been enough prior to that. As a baseball umpire, I've done similar, but that's after a discussion was had.

I don't know if he broke any rules during the incident, but I would reprimand him for his actions if I had a say in it. Very childish and unprofessional.

Can't think of another ref who makes the game more about himself than Ted Valentine. The kids deserve so much better. College basketball officiating in general could use a good cleansing

Reactions: 11 people
Can't think of another ref who makes the game more about himself than Ted Valentine. The kids deserve so much better. College basketball officiating in general could use a good cleansing

Is it actually the referees themselves or the NCAA that allows them to make questionable calls?

Plus, he could have still ignored Berry, but literally turning his back and delaying the game is the real crime. If you're in charge of NCAA officiating, how do you let that slide?

Reactions: 3 people
Serious question - is there a rule that entitles the players to debate the officials? Shouldn't the player be concerned about the upcoming game action and allow his coach to debate the official concerning prior calls? Every sport I've ever played that was the way my coaches directed us concerning officials? Turning his back seemed a bit silly, but does he owe it to the player to listen to the player's complaints? Nothing good will come of it especially with a strong willed official, which I would guess most folks who do that job are conditioned to be decisive with conviction. JMO

A bottom feeder in that profession. How he keeps his job I will never know.

College basketball officiating overall, is terrible.

Reactions: 4 people
One of the worst officials in any sport. His retirement can't come any sooner. Ted has had his fifteen minutes of fame, time to fade away.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm thinking about retiring," Valentine said. "I've had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I've had a stellar career, and I think it's time to get ready to walk away. " Stellar Carter. Bawahaha. He's a horses azz. Every game he calls is marred with numerous fouls. Almost every play results in fouls, monitor reviews, game stoppages. Technical fouls. He's a horses azz and I'll be glad to never see him call another game

Reactions: 5 people
...following UNC incident.

Please be true.

Referee who turned back considers retirement Referee Ted Valentine considering retirement after Joel Berry II situation

I don't know what class taught him that turning his back is a good way to "de-escalate the situation", but he needs to get his money back.

Also I laughed at the end of the video, after Teddy did his stupid turn his back, he turned around and asked for the ball, and Berry just set it on the floor. Knowing TV Teddy, I'm shocked he didn't give him a T for that.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm thinking about retiring," Valentine said. "I've had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I've had a stellar career, and I think it's time to get ready to walk away. " Stellar Carter. Bawahaha. He's a horses azz. Every game he calls is marred with numerous fouls. Almost every play results in fouls, monitor reviews, game stoppages. Technical fouls. He's a horses azz and I'll be glad to never see him call another game

John Calipari is not gonna be happy about this. When he refs at Rupp he never calls a foul on Ky. :hi:

I can assure you if TV doesn't like you your star player will be in foul trouble. Ive seen his tactics too many times.

He'd probably actually ref better if he turned his back to the action. He couldn't do much worse.

Reactions: 2 people
Serious question - is there a rule that entitles the players to debate the officials? Shouldn't the player be concerned about the upcoming game action and allow his coach to debate the official concerning prior calls? Every sport I've ever played that was the way my coaches directed us concerning officials? Turning his back seemed a bit silly, but does he owe it to the player to listen to the player's complaints? Nothing good will come of it especially with a strong willed official, which I would guess most folks who do that job are conditioned to be decisive with conviction. JMO
My understanding of it, is every team has an elected Captain and that Captain has special privileges to debate a call with a ref (or ask them for a review). In that case, Joel Berry was the captain and at least deserved some sort of explanation imho.

Valentine told The Athletic he turned his back to de-escalate the situation, a technique he said he has learned in conflict resolution classes.
Is this not a steaming pile of hot garbage? Or is it just me? I feel like that’s a technique teenagers use when they don’t get something they want.

He may be the worst that has ever blown a whistle. I always knew he was bad - but he transformed the Tenn. Auburn game into something besides basketball. The Auburn guards were literally driving at Tennessee defenders trying to draw any kind of contact knowing the Teddy was going to call a foul on the defender. I will give Auburn credit - they picked up on it - we did not, but it was whistleball soccer or something.

Definitely wasn't basketball.

He is just awful.

Reactions: 3 people
Bobby Knight exposed the incompetence & lack of integrity of "TV Ted 20+ years ago! Valentine has only gotten worse.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back